Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

198?~199? Concorde California MTB

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-16, 08:45 PM
Beamboomer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I registered this evening to ask a few questions about my Concorde California (my presentation thread is here), and if the project goes somewhere, to write the story down

I've had the project of making my first light touring/travel bike for a good time, and finally bought this one at the beginning of the winter.
I think I've had a bit of chance : even if it's not premium bicycles (shimano 200GS, hum...), I think it's not quite common (since I didn't found ANY info on it).

Before going further in explanations, a few pics.

Concorde California:

Front view.

Side B

Ultech tubing sticker

Full Shimano 200GS Groupset with, biopace chainrings and cantilever brakes, Kinlin rims.

Decals

It was quite unusable, I had to WD40 the shifters. The front derailleur action is still not as good as it should but I think it's a cable issue (ultra rusty).
The brakes were sluggish and not safe at all. Even when pressing like a brute the bike was barely stopping. Both pads and cables might get a replacement.
I think the original owner stored it in a humid place (or outdoors ?) for a while.

Now about the model :

I did not find catalog entries with the California...
There's this 1993 catalog, picked up from this thread : https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...corde-mtb.html
Concorde Archive | Manufacturer Archive | Retrobike

Since the Shimano 200GS was discontinued in 1993, the bike "would" be pre 1993.
And made in Taiwan (as the sticker says).

Not much, huh ?

Any help to locate this thing in bike history is welcome

Last edited by Beamboomer; 03-27-16 at 05:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-26-16, 08:46 PM
Beamboomer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
//

Last edited by Beamboomer; 03-27-16 at 04:59 AM.
Old 03-27-16, 07:37 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Shimano 200GS should place it 1991 or 1992, which is a very narrow range. We may be able to narrow that down further from the serial number or component date codes. The serial number may also allow us to identify the manufacturer. In the USA during this period, 200GS bicycles from major brands typically sold for $325-$375 US.

In Canada, Concorde's 200GS ATB was called the Rock 'n Roll and it sold for $457 CDN in 1991 and $480 CDN in 1992. There are a couple of notable differences between the two years. The 1991 version used SunTour/Dia-Compe XCT brakes in conjunction with Kin Lin aluminum rims while the 1992 version used 200GS brakes in conjunction with Araya VP-20 aluminum rims. The absence of XCT brakes may indicate a 1992 model but it could also be a unique Canadian specification. The Canadian versions were spec'd with plain gauge CrMo main tubes and a CrMo fork but hi-tensile stays. Again this could be a unique, Canadian specification but your decal doesn't mention butting, so it's almost certainly plain gauge tubing.
Old 03-30-16, 02:26 PM
Beamboomer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow thanks a lot
Sir, you do know your stuff.

Hum, funny, I have the Kin Lin rims (1991 in Canada) and the 200GS (1992 in Canada). Seems like the specs were not exactly the same in Europe.

1991-1992 is a pretty narrow range. I know I will probably never found a catalog entry with the exact bike, knowing the year is enough for me.
Just in case, here is the serial number : TB1101588C

About tubing, I'm pretty sure it is plain gauge tubing too. There is no missing sticker and the frame is heavy.
But as I will transform it into a utility bike, it's not a big deal, I will maybe have to add weight to unusual parts of the frame.
For this particular build, I think I will prefer a bit too much weight than too little.

(and I got the bike for only 30€)
Old 03-30-16, 04:58 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Reverse engineering the serial number suggests it is a 1992 model manufactured in October 1991. A manufacturer prefix (in this case, 'TB') followed by ymmxxxxx is a standard Taiwanese format. The 'C' at the end is atypical but it may just be a partial stamping of a 'zero'. Thxs for posting. Enjoy your new utility bicycle!
Old 03-31-16, 12:31 AM
Beamboomer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha you are awesome Now THIS is a very narrow range.
I will post photos as I'll modify the bike.
Many thanks T-Mar
Old 05-30-16, 02:57 PM
Beamboomer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
V2 :

I had to modify it quickly to use it as my main/daily bike.
My Decathlon Cobra 500 has a problem at the fork/headset since a crash in February... It does not feel safe anymore.

Since the early photos, I've :
- removed the paint on the saddle post (now, I know it's an aluminum kalloy)
- installed a road saddle.
- a road stem. Kalloy 80mm, I've found it for 5€. I would have prefered a longer one but I'm waiting for another bargain in classifieds listings
- a headset-mount front cable housing stop (as the brake housing stop was a hole in the MTB stem).
- moustache bars from a old ladies bike, mounted upwards.
- some random MTB brake levers (they suffered a bit when I've mounted them... the last 10cm at each side are wider).
- Sachs/Huret friction thumb shifters (cool find ! This kind of shifter is pretty rare here ).
- used the end of a bartape set from a previous mount to make grips (I'm glad I didn't throw them away)
- new cables and housings.

After a few weeks :
It's a bit weird to commute with such a bike after several years on 10 or 12 speed road bikes.
I like to roll as fast as I can and I needed time to adapt my riding (cannot bend like when using the drops, cannot pass between cars anymore in big traffic jams...).
But it feels way safer on bad roads / cobbles, and getting in/out of walkways without risking to damage rims it great too.
"Bombproof", I would say, for road only use compared to my road bikes.
Thumb friction shifters are awesome. I regret I haven't looked for this kind of setup before!
These are WAY easier for city use than downtube shifters.
I'll have to think about how to improve riding position (mini lower back pains, I use these muscles too much to stay upright). I use it only for a daily 2*7km commute, but I would have problems for longer distances.

Next in my todo list :
BIG tires (ex: 60mm Big Apple)
Front rack.
Maybe a back rack.
Maybe mudguards.

Last edited by Beamboomer; 05-30-16 at 03:01 PM.