Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Can't believe the perfect saddle for me after all these years was this...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Can't believe the perfect saddle for me after all these years was this...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-15, 09:07 AM
mawashi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe cos you have a cheap a$$ lol
Old 08-29-15, 11:55 AM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pakk
Is there any logic to finding the right saddle or do you just keep trying them till you know its right?
I've been riding since ~2005. Unfortunately it is trial and error. What works for someone else may not work for you.
Old 08-29-15, 01:13 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It's Brooks for me. Just migrated my B17 Narrow to my Synapse. 40 terrific miles and felt great. My vintage bike has the original Professional on it, still in great shape and it is perfect for it and my commuter has a Cambium and that feels about perfect.
Old 08-29-15, 01:16 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I'm glad so many folks find saddle nirvana in a Brooks. I also glad so many folks find saddle nirvana elsewhere. Funny how that works, isn't it? DSFDF

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-29-15, 01:33 PM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore

Freakin' Forte Pro SL. If you knew how much money I've shelled out on saddles since ~2005, you'd comprehend the magnitude of the irony that a $40 saddle from Performance was the best thing I've put under my backside. Now to go buy 3 or so more to keep around for when the model gets changed or discontinued.
& you're in Austin!!! Have that thing spruced up!
Recovered Custom Leather Bike Saddles Bar Wrap & Cycling Accessories Upholstered Motorcycle Seats & Bags by LEH SEATS

https://youtu.be/UQzG73fMLLw

Last edited by Blue Belly; 08-29-15 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-29-15, 04:10 PM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Lol - hadn't seen that yet. Bet it ain't cheap.
Old 08-29-15, 04:24 PM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
Lol - hadn't seen that yet. Bet it ain't cheap.
I think the website said 150-$300. You can save shipping though, since it's local
Old 08-29-15, 04:48 PM
pre1236

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up a Specialized Power Expert saddle and so far I love it. Numbness to the genitals seems to be a thing of the past. Hopefully. Haven't given it a great workout yet, but the feel is noticeably more comfortable.
Old 08-29-15, 04:52 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
OP, go back to Performance and buy a few. Serious. A seat that works is gold. Saddles change. Performance brand items are made by other companies. Performance has little say over what they make and little invested in that particular saddle. It will be replaced by another similar saddle, maybe next year, that might or just as likely might not work for you. Keep your new saddles bagged tightly in a sealed plastic bag and away from ozone and light and they will be what you bought when you open the bag.

Terry Fly's work for me. I have stockpiled a few.

Ben
Old 08-29-15, 06:57 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by pakk
Is there any logic to finding the right saddle or do you just keep trying them till you know its right?
No, just trial and error. I've found two road saddles that work for me, they are not even remotely related. One is the Selle San Marco Era Luxe and the Serfas Stinger RS. While they work well for me on a road bike, neither work on my MTB where I use the basic OEM saddle that came on entry level Specialized MTBs from 2005 to 2007, the cheaper the model, the better the fit.
Old 08-30-15, 12:01 AM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stucky
The cheap ones are usually the best. I loved the thirty-cent one that came with mty old Bikesdirect road bike. Like most thing cycling-related, there seems to be too much thought and junk science put into the fancy expensive things. Simple and basic is often the best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mens-red-shirt.jpg (76.6 KB, 978 views)
Old 08-30-15, 05:31 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got an older Forte saddle on my trainer bike, and it's not bad for my behind. I keep swapping it out with an old Selle Italia Flite. I should probably pick up another Forte though, since mine's just about had the biscuit.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 08-30-15, 08:26 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HigherGround
Hmmm....maybe junk-science is a good thing? (I knew I should never have gotten rid of my junk!)
Old 08-30-15, 08:44 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
What you need to do is find an old pair of wool shorts with a leather chamois. Wash the shorts and dry them out in the sun. The chamois will be like a crisp taco shell. Mount a brand new Brooks Pro on your bike and go riding. Brutal! You should get lots of chafing and some bloody sores. But just keep riding daily. Wash the shorts every 3 or 4 rides. Blood stains on the chamois will show you are doing it right. After a few thousand miles it won't matter what saddle you are riding. You have toughened up your backside and any saddle feels just right.
Old 08-30-15, 09:43 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
OP, go back to Performance and buy a few. Serious. A seat that works is gold. Saddles change. Performance brand items are made by other companies. Performance has little say over what they make and little invested in that particular saddle. It will be replaced by another similar saddle, maybe next year, that might or just as likely might not work for you. Keep your new saddles bagged tightly in a sealed plastic bag and away from ozone and light and they will be what you bought when you open the bag.

Terry Fly's work for me. I have stockpiled a few.

Ben
I agree, I bought 3 of these Nishiki women's seats from Dick's that fit my wide sit bones and have a cut out for the junk. I wish they had a little less padding, but the size is perfect and I've had no chafing even with bike shorts and doing 70 miles. On clearance for $15
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Nishiki Saddle.jpg (92.2 KB, 984 views)
Old 08-30-15, 10:42 AM
knobd

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have the same saddle as the OP on both of my modern bikes. I put one on my Pinarello last week after the stock MOST Ocelot broke. It's working out well on the Pina. I find on both bikes I need to tilt them very slightly forward for best comfort.
Old 08-30-15, 04:02 PM
sheepdog84
derpin'

Bikes: 2014 Stainless Steel Firefly

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know what OP means... when you find the one that fits perfectly, you feel like you've struck gold.

A 155mm Specialized Toupe Pro works so well for my rear... In my head, I frequently thank the sales dude for helping me get measured and with choosing a shape.
Old 08-30-15, 04:17 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Zefal makes saddles ?? Their pumps are good .... hmmmm
I threw a Zefal Sport G pump in the garbage today. It was two months old.

Piece of junk.

-Tim-
Old 09-02-15, 05:23 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Nashbar has some nice house brand ones with ti rails. I may order the second one.

$34.99

$29.99

$35.99

Old 09-03-15, 12:00 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quick story. Over the years I have been a bit of a saddle hoe. Many here maybe have fallen into the same trap...searching for saddle nirvana aka the holly grail of saddles which some may submit doesn't exist. Throughout my exhaustive search including riding Brooks saddles for several years past, I decided that I pretty much needed a 150ish + saddle width to support my sit bones. After trying several Specialized saddles with width sizing, they seemed to work the best and currently on a Toupe Expert 155mm width which is...I would say OK to good. I can ride a century on it...may not feel perfect after the ride but I can still sit down.

Enter a new bike build. A bought a 2014 Specialized Secteur Elite off Ebay...one of the few times I ever purchase a complete bike with lower component level but decided this bike wasn't going to be about speed but rather practicality...mount a rack and do some light beach town cruising and it has been superb. Btw, I just couldn't resist swapping out the low level wheelset and Shimano groupset for Campy. Quite a difference...love the frameset and the bike...couldn't ask for more for the dollar IMO. Back to saddles, the bike came with a lowly 143mm Specialized Riv saddle with a bit more padding than I am used to riding. A modest average shaped saddle with chromoly rails. I fully expected to remove the saddle, discard it and put a higher level and wider 155mm saddle on the bike. I haven't. In fact, this lowly Spesh Riv saddle seems to be more comfortable than my Toupe even though it is standard width and has more padding. I never expected this and would have bet strongly against that this saddle would ever be comfortable but arguably it feels almost plush compared the firmer bodied...and no doubt lighter Toupe.

So once again, all paradigms about what maybe the best saddle go out the window. Now in fact, I am considering trying a 143mm Toupe which I always felt would be too narrow...but now not so sure. The more one experiments, the more we find out just what we don't know is my experience. There is very little science to saddles and even width sizing can fall by the wayside depending on how the pelvis is supported, how a saddle is shaped and even where a rider finds his sweet spot fore/aft. A wide saddle can ride like a narrower saddle if the rider scoots forward and the opposite for riding a narrow saddle if the rider scoots rearward.

In summary, I believe perhaps the best saddle out there is likely the one we haven't tried yet. Yes, there is a best saddle, but who among us has the time and money to find out.

Last edited by Campag4life; 09-03-15 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-03-15, 03:17 PM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I read somewhere on basic bike fit tips that narrower saddles can be more comfortable especially for longer rides. I believe the reasoning was something like it interfered less with natural hip movement.

I've put a couple hundred miles more on this saddle since my first post and I still just shake my head at how comfortable it is. Literally no discomfort after hours and hours of riding on it. It is about the same weight as a non carbon railed Toupe which is a bonus.
Old 09-03-15, 08:11 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
OP, go back to Performance and buy a few. Serious. A seat that works is gold.
Good advise.

Through the years I never found a saddle I was completely happy with. Some were way better than others but none were great. Then this summer I bought a new Defy Advanced Pro 1 that came with a fi'z:k that I was ready to hate because a stock saddle couldn't be any good, right? Boy, was I wrong. This saddle fits me better than anything I have ever tried. Numbness, which I've battled on every saddle, is a thing of the past. In fact, I just ordered another one today just in case they stop making this model (and will probably buy another one or two). The thing is, I would probably have never considered this saddle if I was in the market for just a saddle. Just luck of the draw the right one just happened to come on the new bike I purchased.
Old 09-04-15, 08:28 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride a $40.00 Bontrager SSR that came on my hybrid. It is the most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden and a have one on every bike.
Old 07-25-16, 07:06 AM
BikingGrad80
that bike nut

Bikes: 2010 Motobecane Immortal Force 90' Trek 1400; 90' Trek 850; 06' Trek 520; 01 Iron Horse Victory

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The same for me. I am now desperate to find one. Performance has discontinued it in favor of some new gel saddles. I tried one and it gave me the worst sores I ever had in my life. I'd give anything to find it or something similar.

I hate when companies discontinue good products.
Old 07-25-16, 07:26 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
My find is.....Nashbar FR1 Saddle and less $$$$$$

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.