Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Route planning on an Android tablet?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Route planning on an Android tablet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-18, 10:08 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
in six years, stuff changes. I find maps.me to work fairlywell, and for me, downloading specific maps and using the software rather basically has worked fine.
but I dont ride using a map app for directions etc, I still figure it out on myown, have made mistakes, but am not keen on using hardware for long periods of time due to battery life issues.
Here's the problem as I see it.

Creating a route is time consuming. It requires constantly zooming in at street level using Google maps to see if the road is safe for cycle touring. Then you have to create the route on your tablet or computer downloading it to your phone or GPS. Real time consuming process and a 75 mile route can take 1 or 2 hours of computer time to construct!

However, this leads to some fairly safe routes that are often better than computer generated ones. I find it's not hard using Garmin hand held GPS, Basecamp and Google maps providing you have a full computer because there's no Android version! I prefer using a Garmin handheld GPS because the battery life is way better than a phone and I'll go days by carrying six AA rechargeables. I'm thinking of buying a cheap Windows tablet and using a USB adapter so I'll be able to create and transfer files from Garmin Basecamp to my handheld GPS.

However, using this combination is not full proof because ALL GPS technology can and will not make each turn with 100% accuracy. Yet, I'm not going back to paper maps because you're never terribly lost using current GPS tech. Also, Google maps saved on my phone always bailed me out.
Old 12-15-18, 11:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I went to other countries , bought maps of paper, once I got there, picked up new ones en route/....

I don't work in the computer biz, there are resources outside of computers...