Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Love the frame, don’t love the brand

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Love the frame, don’t love the brand

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-19, 06:34 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by corn on the cog
I seriously don’t see where all you folks are getting these ideas about “the Rivendell crowd.” The people I see riding Rivs are the same type of people who ride Salsas, or 80s Japanese tourers, or 70s English sport-tourers, or Velo-Orangefied Surlys. They like steel, lugs, versatility, and a dash of style. Hey guess what, they’re us! The C&V crowd. If you all want to get all high-schoolish about who are the nerds and who are the cool kids go for it, but in my opinion you’re projecting way more into the brand than the people I see actually riding these bikes for miles upon miles.
This.

You're thinking too hard, dude. Build the damn thing the way you want it, and ride. If I came across a reasonably priced Riv in my size, that fit my requirements, I would.
Old 03-30-19, 06:54 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by corn on the cog
I seriously don’t see where all you folks are getting these ideas about “the Rivendell crowd.” The people I see riding Rivs are the same type of people who ride Salsas, or 80s Japanese tourers, or 70s English sport-tourers, or Velo-Orangefied Surlys. They like steel, lugs, versatility, and a dash of style. Hey guess what, they’re us! The C&V crowd. If you all want to get all high-schoolish about who are the nerds and who are the cool kids go for it, but in my opinion you’re projecting way more into the brand than the people I see actually riding these bikes for miles upon miles.
Perhaps, but not in my experience.

To them, my Cinelli-made Centurion Equipe was a "fake Cinelli." They so demeaned the one I built for a relative, he paid to have it painted Enzo red and re-decaled with old school Cinelli, upgraded to 8-sp Chorus Ergo; then they all oohed and aahed, nodding with approval. Maybe it was just that they were from Chapel Hill or Duke "in" crowd (and that, unfortunately, says quite a lot).

For the ones I've been involved in, it's like an ornament for the bike rack. It's their bike, though, to do with as they see fit. Their use is just not my use. I went to one of their Christmas dinners, and a visiting professor told me "Eddy Merckx gave me my Merckx." I looked at him, then said "what are you doing with this crowd?"

Decal it as an Ironman and they'll never speak to you again, except maybe to ask you to fix their flat, because their shop can't turn it around in time for the fall social mixer. And then, even though you do 3 hours of adjustments, wash it (beneath them), replace their neglected cables and actually lube the chain, for free, you may not have had it done in time for them to pick up on the way to the coffee shop. (Actually, the "free" part was my way of feeling superior. It works)

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 03-30-19 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-30-19, 07:05 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl
I recently found a frame that fits what I need pretty perfectly: lightweight tubing, outstanding quality and craftsmanship, and, I hope, ideal for long brevets. It should fit me perfectly. The seller offered a fair price and I agreed to buy it.

My only issue with it: it’s a Rivendell.

I know, it’s an iconic brand whose bikes have a great reputation. The frame itself is gorgeous, with custom lugs etc. But I’m just not all that into their brand. Seems very much a statement to own a Rivendell, and I don’t care about hatchets or pine tar soap or whether Grant thinks I should do squats. I just want to ride my bike, and I want my bike to be a bike—not a symbol of my adherence to some vision of the world or cycling industry.

So my goal is to build up my Riv frame so that it looks good, but not much like a Rivendell—i.e. no twine, no handlebars a foot above the saddle. It’ll be tough, because I’ll be putting on a brooks and bar end shifters.

Build ideas, suggestions, and visual inspiration appreciated—as are people who think I’m being silly and want to argue.
OK, you asked for it.

"Should I tear the tag off of my Jordache jeans, so that no one knows I'm wearing a designer brand?" First World Problems.

I dunno, I guess you could de-badge the Rivendell. Or better yet re-arrange the letters so they spell something else.

"dellRiven" maybe? Sounds Italian. Or "R. vendelli" that really sounds Italian. Or maybe "dR evil" (Doctor Evil).
Old 03-30-19, 07:13 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
I cant imagine ever affording one of grants frames but if i had one it wouldnt bother me to ride it. I was at an organized ride and saw one parked outside a bar. It looked great. The thing is if grants marketing bothers you, why wouldnt anyone elses marketing bother you? Its all bull****.
Old 03-30-19, 07:30 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
I have a Cervelo R5. The thing is a fantastic machine. I rarely ride it to group rides because of the brand association of being for rich, ultra-competetive, elitist snobs that are way, way too serious about brand consciousness...Like the tools that subscribe to Rapha chic or the Starbucks crowd.

When I do take it to group rides, I wear a sleeveless Target/Wal-mart dri-fit sports jersey or a tank-top, blue jean shorts or some similar Fred type shennanigans. Then we dominate with 20-22+ mph rides (in spite of the advertised 16-18) & go have beer & deep-fried garbage for dinner.

It makes me feel better.

Powdercoat is cheap too. Then you could wear all the Birkenstocks, beads, & hemp necklaces you want & nobody would suspect the hippy you really are.

Edit:
I guess my point is that there was something there that appealed to you, even if it is something that you don't consider your identity. Maybe just some small aspect of it. I am not the rich, ultra-competetive, elitist snob the Cervelo brand appeals to. Rather, I'm a middle income, blue collar guy, that has no credit/debit card & drives a 10 year-old Prius. But to say their image doesn't apply in some way wouldn't be true either.

Something about the Riv applies to some aspect of you. Afterall, you didn't reject it. And that's ok. Go ride & enjoy.

Last edited by base2; 03-30-19 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-30-19, 07:33 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
This reminds me:
I got back into cycling 20 years ago with a rescued from the curb Gitane/Nishiki mashup. At the turnaround of my ride, another cyclist had stopped on his Orange Rivendell. I told him that his bike was soooo cooool. He replied in a very stern voice, "It's Just A Bike!". My admiration of Rivendells is more discrete since then. Sheesh!
Old 03-30-19, 07:52 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
This one is too easy.

Paint & decal it up like a Masi and call it good
Oh no you ditnt!!!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 03-30-19, 07:53 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Originally Posted by clubman
Decal it as a Mordor,

One does not simply decal as a Mordor...

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 03-30-19, 07:56 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Oh no you ditnt!!!
Old 03-30-19, 07:59 AM
dimini

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Samkl-

Firstly, thanks for this thread. I’ve enjoyed the perspectives of those who have responded. I may be a newbie to this forum, but I’m a 58yr old cooter who still owns his first “pro” road bike, purchased in 1977 while working in my hometown bike shop during high-school youth. Agreed, the Rivendell you purchased looks great. Not familiar with the brand, I googled, then spent 10 minutes looking at their website. Hell... I think you are missing the point and shouldn’t be repulsed, miffed or whatever it is that drives you crazy about the brand. They are a young company with young people who are seemingly successful at keeping the heritage of craftsman-built steel frames alive. In a time of blue-tooth shifting Taiwanese rolling brand billboard bikes, I find Rivendell refreshing. Would I ride a bike with drop bars and a super high-ride stem? No, but that’s ok. You appear to be young enough to give a damn about a company’s mission statements, or marketing maneuvers. Advise: Ignore that and build the bike—see if the relaxed geometry fits your needs and enjoy it. If you haven’t, learn to embrace and enjoy the stark differences between old school and current technologies. This forum’s audience is among the 5% in the world who might actually recognize or care about the differences between a retro Rivendell frame or vintage Albert Eisentraut, Strawberry, Keith Lippy or Glenn Erickson frames. It’s all good!
Old 03-30-19, 08:06 AM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Decal it as a Mordor,
Ha, that’s great.
@fender1’s Riv comes to mind as a very nice example.
Old 03-30-19, 08:08 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by dimini
Samkl-

Firstly, thanks for this thread. I’ve enjoyed the perspectives of those who have responded. I may be a newbie to this forum, but I’m a 58yr old cooter who still owns his first “pro” road bike, purchased in 1977 while working in my hometown bike shop during high-school youth. Agreed, the Rivendell you purchased looks great. Not familiar with the brand, I googled, then spent 10 minutes looking at their website. Hell... I think you are missing the point and shouldn’t be repulsed, miffed or whatever it is that drives you crazy about the brand. They are a young company with young people who are seemingly successful at keeping the heritage of craftsman-built steel frames alive. In a time of blue-tooth shifting Taiwanese rolling brand billboard bikes, I find Rivendell refreshing. Would I ride a bike with drop bars and a super high-ride stem? No, but that’s ok. You appear to be young enough to give a damn about a company’s mission statements, or marketing maneuvers. Advise: Ignore that and build the bike—see if the relaxed geometry fits your needs and enjoy it. If you haven’t, learn to embrace and enjoy the stark differences between old school and current technologies. This forum’s audience is among the 5% in the world who might actually recognize or care about the differences between a retro Rivendell frame or vintage Albert Eisentraut, Strawberry, Keith Lippy or Glenn Erickson frames. It’s all good!
You're an old coot; an old cooter is a completely different thing
Old 03-30-19, 08:21 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Old 03-30-19, 08:31 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
I have a Cervelo R5. The thing is a fantastic machine. I rarely ride it to group rides because of the brand association of being for rich, ultra-competetive, elitist snobs that are way, way too serious about brand consciousness...Like the tools that subscribe to Rapha chic or the Starbucks crowd.

When I do take it to group rides, I wear a sleeveless Target/Wal-mart dri-fit sports jersey or a tank-top, blue jean shorts or some similar Fred type shennanigans. Then we dominate with 20-22+ mph rides (in spite of the advertised 16-18) & go have beer & deep-fried garbage for dinner.

It makes me feel better.
that's a lot of analysis to handle just for a group ride. Unfortunate thst you can't just ignore the perceived judging and ride whatever bike you like in comfort(instead of jorts).
Old 03-30-19, 08:35 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
First, funny thread. Second, I thought rivendell was more yuppie than hippie.
Although it may seem silly and you may say just ride it, as long as you like it don't worry about it. But the same thing happened to me. I purchased an old trek 5900 just to rob the parts for my Ironman. I was going to immediately get rid of frame But I figured I'd give it a good ride first. Yeah I've ridden carbon before but just test rides. Here was my chance to really ride it. But admittedly I felt kinda weird about riding it. So I built it with a long cage and big freewheel from my parts bin. I figured that would be enough against the grain for me to feel comfortable. But No. I still feel weird riding it. Why? Because its a trek ,nothing against trek ,there's just So Many, Everywhere.
I'm old enough to know what I like and not care what others think (just like most c&vers). But that's the thing, I know what makes me feel good and a trek doesn't. But I'll keep it (for now) to ride with my riding buddy as that's the only bike I have with regular road bars. Oh, about the trek 5900 ride? Not surprisingly (well at least to '88 and '89 Ironman owners), it rides like an Ironman but lighter.

Last edited by texaspandj; 03-30-19 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-30-19, 08:40 AM
dimini

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Hilarious!

I really need to hire a proof reader. I meant to say “codger”, not coot, and CERTAINLY not cooter! You know what? Laughter is good and hopefully a few dozen folks will appreciate the gaff. Eww. Old cooter.... wow.
Old 03-30-19, 08:51 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 147 Posts

Laughter is good and hopefully a few dozen folks will appreciate the gaff.
I don't get it
Old 03-30-19, 09:01 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
that's a lot of analysis to handle just for a group ride. Unfortunate thst you can't just ignore the perceived judging and ride whatever bike you like in comfort(instead of jorts).
In the summer time I lead (usually) 2 group rides a week. People of all skill levels, abilities, & income are always present. Elitism has negative connotations & is usually considered a turn-off to new riders/group members.

For those of us in the faster groups we all know eachother & nobody cares. For the more moderate paced groups, I am conscious of what they observe.

This year I have signed up to lead the 12-14 mph group a night a week. For that I'll be on my 1974 Schwinn or my aluminum store brand bike. I think it's a good PR move to be as welcoming and personable, down to Earth as possible. If for no other reason than to counter the big-brand marketing.

So it's not just my feelings at issue. It's the image I am aware I also convey.
Old 03-30-19, 09:05 AM
CroManganMan

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Personally I say just ride it. It’s the good kind of Rivendell- smaller tubes, no double top tube, and doesn’t weigh 50 pounds like the Sam Hillborne I tried. I bet it’s really well built and rides like any great steel frame. When you’re rolling you can’t see the brand on the downtube anyway unless you’re doing it wrong.

If people judge you they aren’t people you want to know or care about anyway. I second the crazy name changes especially if they are English to fit the fancy lugs or Italian because I’m of Italian descent. Or wear a T-shirt like the “Cutters” but make it say “Cooters”. Everyone will be confused and avoid you. Problem solved!
Old 03-30-19, 09:12 AM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Something about the Riv applies to some aspect of you. Afterall, you didn't reject it. And that's ok. Go ride & enjoy.
Yes, absolutely. I want to be clear—I think it’ll be an amazing frame. I love the craftsmanship and I’ll love the chance to ride high quality steel. This is something I could never afford new, so I’m grateful to get the chance to ride such a nice frame.
Old 03-30-19, 09:13 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
I don't get it
"Cooter" has become an American slang term for a lady part. Usually only used in informal situations, mildly inappropriate, but innocuous.
Old 03-30-19, 09:14 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,545 Posts
IMHO you are over thinking it. you have a great quality frame that fits. Only bike people will have any idea what a rivendell is and those "those that object don't matter and those that matter wont object"

more fun is the build:

Indexed or friction?

how many speeds?

gearing range

matching group

what do you define as looks good? vintage look or ok with current black loom?

this duarace 7700 groups would be a good base https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-cassette.html add the barends, get a ultegra or dura ace longer cage derailer and add the 8000 series ultegras cassette 12-34 iirc

good look, wide range but that is me

Old 03-30-19, 09:19 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Hilarious!

I really need to hire a proof reader. I meant to say “codger”, not coot, and CERTAINLY not cooter! You know what? Laughter is good and hopefully a few dozen folks will appreciate the gaff. Eww. Old cooter.... wow.
at 58 you don't qualify for old codger........it would included too many others of us in that category.......

now get off my lawn

Old 03-30-19, 09:28 AM
squirtdad

here a build by @sloar that may be of interest https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ed-my-way.html

Old 03-30-19, 09:35 AM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Well, this turned out to be a hilarious thread, but thanks squirtdad for asking the real questions!

Build will be a mix of parts I already have and things I have to buy. I’d like to keep it lightweight and affordable, if possible...

Here’s what’s comes from the parts bin:

9-speed bar end shifters
DA 7400 32h hubs, or perhaps I get a SP dynamo front hub (need to be laced to rims)
Brooks team pro black saddle
Ritchey classic seatpost

Everything else is open to discussion. I’m thinking maybe DT Swiss R460 rims, which are black with a silver brake track—could look good or bad, I can’t decide yet. I also can’t decide about a modern or square taper crank. Maybe late-90s Ultegra would look good, if I can find it.

In an ideal world, I’d have a 50/34 in the front and an 11-30 or 11-32 in the back.

I think PDW metal fenders in gray could look nice too.

Originally Posted by squirtdad
IMHO you are over thinking it. you have a great quality frame that fits. Only bike people will have any idea what a rivendell is and those "those that object don't matter and those that matter wont object"

more fun is the build:

Indexed or friction?

how many speeds?

gearing range

matching group

what do you define as looks good? vintage look or ok with current black loom?

this duarace 7700 groups would be a good base https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-cassette.html add the barends, get a ultegra or dura ace longer cage derailer and add the 8000 series ultegras cassette 12-34 iirc

good look, wide range but that is me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.