Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sticky Shimano Ultra 600 brifters...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-19, 11:56 AM
dimini

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Will someone please remind me whether 1992/93 vintage Shimano STI shifters are capable of upshifting more than one gear at a time? I had my Trek 5200 in long-term storage and pulled it out recently as I'd like to resuming riding it, but found the rear shifter to be gummed up. I did the typical solvent flush which freed it up and it now shifts, but still a little sticky. What I don't recall is whether this system up shifts one cog at a time, or whether mine is still compromised and only barely shifting. I've ridden mountain bikes nearly exclusively for the past 15 years, which are capable of shifting multiple cogs in both down shifts and up shifts--I'm afraid I can't recall if the old STI can do the same. Seems pretty weird to sweep the lever a full flip and only get a single cog shift. Thanks in advance for your input! PS- Must have auto-corrected the headline... Ultegra--not Ultra.
Old 07-03-19, 12:01 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
The rear should go up to three cogs with a sweep of the shifter. Only one at a time for shifts to smaller cogs,
Old 07-03-19, 01:57 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
What did you lube it with after the solvent flush?
Old 07-03-19, 02:46 PM
Kevin R

Bikes: Raleigh Militis 3 Custom Build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Also consider, your cable/ housings may be in a bad state after prolonged storage......and will definitely compromise shifting performance......
Old 07-03-19, 04:16 PM
dimini

I haven’t lubed it yet as I wanted to make certain the solvent had dried thoroughly. I’m thinking something like Tri-flow? Any thoughts on generic spray silicone lube? WD-40 is bad as it will gum up eventually.
Old 07-03-19, 04:33 PM
dimini

Originally Posted by davidad
The rear should go up to three cogs with a sweep of the shifter. Only one at a time for shifts to smaller cogs,
Thank you! This is what I was looking for. Looks like my shifters are operating properly now. It just seemed strange that I had to flip the inner lever all the way to the max. left position before it would engage and shift a single cog, which I refer to as an up shift.
Old 07-03-19, 06:14 PM
Kevin R

Bikes: Raleigh Militis 3 Custom Build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dimini
Thank you! This is what I was looking for. Looks like my shifters are operating properly now. It just seemed strange that I had to flip the inner lever all the way to the max. left position before it would engage and shift a single cog, which I refer to as an up shift.
I actually had a similar problem after my 6500 levers came out of retirement after 15 years......they operated normally after some use and a dose of CRC white lithium grease..............(WD40 is a de greaser btw.)