Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Drivetrain Parts Compatibility Check

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-23, 08:32 PM
rzldzl

Bikes: 2012 Soma Saga, 2020 Black Mountain Cycles MCD, 1992 Univega Alpina Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Microshift 9 speed Shimano compatible shifters (new)
9 speed KMC chain (new)
9 speed SunRace 11-40t cassette (new)
11 speed Shimano RD-M800-SGS derailleur (used but was working fine with 11 speed Shimano 11-40t cassette yesterday)

By the time I have adjusted the cable tension to get me into the middle of the cassette it is already too tight to drop down to the 11t. I was working under the impression that the 11 speed derailleur would be pulling across the same total distance with 9, 10 or 11 speed cassette.
Old 04-03-23, 08:43 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Shmano 11 speed road or 10/11 speed moutain don't work with the old 6/7/8/9/10 road or 6-9 mountain derailleurs.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-03-23, 10:30 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
The 9-speed shifter uses a different pull ratio than your Deore derailleur. Your safest bet is to use something that was designed during the 9-speed era like this.

https://www.rei.com/product/798943/s...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Likes For Joe Remi:
Old 04-04-23, 04:32 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
OP: @Kontact and @Joe Remi are correct. The shifters and RD you are using have different actuation ratios and are incompatible.

Background: except for very early Dura Ace, Shimano used a 1.7:1 actuation ratio for all of their SIS derailleurs. That changed at 10-speed for Shimano mountain (1.2:1), and changed again for Shimano mountain 11-speed (1.1:1). Shimano road followed suit at 11-speed, changing to an actuation ratio of 1.4:1 (the latest Tiagra 4700 also adopted this 11-speed road actuation ratio, and I understand 10-speed GRX did as well).

This is discussed in some detail at the following (and other) credible online source(s):

https://bike.bikegremlin.com/1278/bi...compatibility/

Bottom line: the combo you have won't work. You need either (1) a different RD that's compatible with Shimano's 1.7:1 actuation ratio, or (2) or some type of actuation ratio-modifying pulley assembly (jTek Shiftmate or equivalent, assuming you can find one designed for that combo). A new RD would IMO be simpler and might not be that much more expensive; the RD Kontact suggested as a replacement is presently probably even cheaper.

Last edited by Hondo6; 04-04-23 at 04:41 AM.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 04-04-23, 08:20 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
Here's another chart that lists the pull ratio of many derailleurs that support the info from all the above posts. First thing you need to check is if the derailleur has a 1.7 pull ratio for your listed setup as it won't work with any other ratio. Bicycle Cassettes & Drivetrains - Google Sheets
Old 04-04-23, 10:15 AM
rzldzl

Bikes: 2012 Soma Saga, 2020 Black Mountain Cycles MCD, 1992 Univega Alpina Sport

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you all for the good information. I ordered out the RD that Joe Remi mentioned.
Old 04-04-23, 04:40 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by rzldzl
Thank you all for the good information. I ordered out the RD that Joe Remi mentioned.
Uh oh, I forgot something. That derailleur is only rated to 34t (maybe 36) and you're running an 11-40 cassette. You might get lucky reaching the big cog or you might not.

Last edited by Joe Remi; 04-04-23 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-04-23, 05:36 PM
rzldzl

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I was aware of the limitations of that derailleur when I ordered it. Despite my thrashing with this lash up, I have in the past had good luck with pushing Shimano derailleurs beyond there stated capacities. If it doesn't work straight out of the gate I suspect it will work with a longer B screw or, if need be, a hanger extender.
Thanks for the follow up.