Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

three-way wrenches

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

three-way wrenches

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-23, 08:15 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
I'm worked as a wrench in a handful of LBS's and they use whatever works the best.

Stupid stuff like the ParkTool STL-2 ot STL1.2 is mostly to impress the customers.

Some ParkTools are okay. Most of them are not. Overall ParkTools is far from the best.

ParkTools are made to be affordable by DIY end users. You can tell by its price, all ParkTool stuff is way less than shop automotive tools.

Thinking that ALL tools must be and only be ParkTools, well that individual is a "tool" themselves.
Old 05-18-23, 08:44 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
smd4 at our shop I would say a heavy dose of Snap-On has crept in but in our case the mechanics own their own tools. People do still use some Park Tool stuff as they do make some decent stuff on the component specific side of things but for generic tools generally we go elsewhere.

My personal box is a mix, Snap-On, Wera, Abbey and some Park stuff (as well as a handful of other tools like Rohloff and Gates that are more specific)
Old 05-18-23, 08:52 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
I'm worked as a wrench in a handful of LBS's and they use whatever works the best.

Stupid stuff like the ParkTool STL-2 ot STL1.2 is mostly to impress the customers.

Some ParkTools are okay. Most of them are not. Overall ParkTools is far from the best.

ParkTools are made to be affordable by DIY end users. You can tell by its price, all ParkTool stuff is way less than shop automotive tools.

Thinking that ALL tools must be and only be ParkTools, well that individual is a "tool" themselves.
You seem to have an overly anti-Park agenda, and almost sound like a shill for Snap-On, so I'll read your comments accordingly.
Old 05-18-23, 10:39 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
this was a good discussion thread. I like tools and am fortunate to have some very nice items in my toolbox. But I think a real working shop will have an eclectic selection of tools from a range of brands and labels.

I had high hopes for this one with the 3rd leg being a .250 hex bit holder - but the 4 and 5mm allen bits are so soft that they round out even under moderate torque.

Which is a fatal flaw of any tool - it should not damage the fastener.

/markp

Old 05-18-23, 10:50 AM
soyabean

Originally Posted by smd4
You seem to have an overly anti-Park agenda, and almost sound like a shill for Snap-On, so I'll read your comments accordingly.
So?

And that's my opinion.

Best to not read what I write.

There's a reason why Snap-On is the best. Ask around. Or don't. Whatever.

Last edited by soyabean; 05-18-23 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-18-23, 10:53 AM
smd4

So?

And that's my opinion.

Best to not read what I write.
I get that it's your opinion. I'll continue reading them. Just with a few grains of salt.
Old 05-18-23, 10:56 AM
soyabean

Funny how ParkTool can't claim to be the best.

Lots of laffs!
Old 05-18-23, 11:02 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
My local lumber yard sells these for about $1 each, three if them welded together makes a Y wrench and I have bits from Snap-On labeled Blue Point . The inexpensive junk yard type of tool that works.
Hah, just a couple of days ago I was looking at 1/4 inch square drive socket extensions, with a view to welding myself a Y wrench - I hadn't thought of using 1/4 hex drive, but now I will. 😀
Old 05-18-23, 11:08 AM
smd4

Get back to me when Snap-On makes:

--Headset tools, including cup wrenches and cup presses/removers;
--Bottom bracket tools, including lockring tools, pin spanners, fixed cup tools;
--Pedal wrenches;
--Dropout alignment tools;
--Frame alignment tools;
--Wheel Dishing tools;
--Repair stands;
--Truing stands;
--Spoke wrenches;
--Cone wrenches;
--Chain breakers;
--Decent Y wrenches;
--Chain Whips;
--Freehub removal tools;
--Crank removers;
Old 05-18-23, 11:17 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Get back to me when Snap-On makes:

--Headset tools, including cup wrenches and cup presses/removers;
--Bottom bracket tools, including lockring tools, pin spanners, fixed cup tools;
--Pedal wrenches;
--Dropout alignment tools;
--Frame alignment tools;
--Wheel Dishing tools;
--Repair stands;
--Truing stands;
--Spoke wrenches;
--Cone wrenches;
--Chain breakers;
--Decent Y wrenches;
--Chain Whips;
--Freehub removal tools;
--Crank removers;
It's hard to argue that Park isn't at the top of the heap for offering the widest range of specialty bike tools. However, there are other companies who are making some of those tools of equal or better quality. For the everyday tools like allen wrenches and screwdrivers, Park's offerings are decent, but not pinnacle.
Old 05-18-23, 11:36 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

I'll tell you an item that Park does make that is great - the headset crown race remover CRP-2

it's a big heavy thing. Massive overkill. Works absolutely great ! Never misses

/markp

Likes For mpetry912:
Old 05-18-23, 11:37 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Eric F
It's hard to argue that Park isn't at the top of the heap for offering the widest range of specialty bike tools. However, there are other companies who are making some of those tools of equal or better quality. For the everyday tools like allen wrenches and screwdrivers, Park's offerings are decent, but not pinnacle.
I think everything you said is right-on. There are some Park tools I won't touch--other manufactures supplanted them. I'd much rather use the Hozan fourth hand than the Park. And I definitely don't like their plastic 3-way Allen wrench. I consider myself luck to have gotten the one that I have.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-18-23, 01:20 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
smd4 ,
Eric is in some ways correct about other companies that make great tools. I have a penchant for VAR products and some others like Artisan Tool and Die. I use Campy crank arm removal tools cause they work unlike many other companies variants. I probably have a more eclectic tool set, but it is the stuff I have found to work, and hold up. The example of a three way wrench I posted handles bit from just about any socket style, or bit style. I am using Blue Point bits in it, They are durable bits and guaranteed for life. Just my thoughts, although I have probably as much MAC in my tool boxes as Snap-On. Smiles, MH
Old 05-18-23, 02:41 PM
soyabean

Park Tools just might be on their way to be the best.

The ParkTool PZT-2.

Belongs in every gourmet michelin five-star resto.

Gordon Ramsey approved!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
idiot.jpg (134.8 KB, 154 views)
Old 05-18-23, 03:19 PM
smd4

Park Tools just might be on their way to be the best.

The ParkTool PZT-2.

Belongs in every gourmet michelin five-star resto.

Gordon Ramsey approved!
We’ve got a pizza chain called Benny’s from VA that sells a pizza advertised as being the diameter of a bike wheel (it is: 29”). That pizza cutter would be a great companion!
Old 05-18-23, 03:25 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The problem with snap on sockets and hex wrenches is that even a small ratchet wrench allows the user to apply too much torque with small fasteners and snap them off. Most common problem with the front derailleur was from owners snapping off the 8mm bolts. An advantage of small wrenches is that you avoid over tightening fasteners and damaging them in the process.
Old 05-18-23, 03:29 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Originally Posted by Calsun
The problem with snap on sockets and hex wrenches is that even a small ratchet wrench allows the user to apply too much torque with small fasteners and snap them off. Most common problem with the front derailleur was from owners snapping off the 8mm bolts. An advantage of small wrenches is that you avoid over tightening fasteners and damaging them in the process.
that's true. I have successfully heli-coiled many front derailleur arms, resulting in a cable clamp that can really be tightened "enough"

/markp
Old 05-18-23, 03:44 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
We’ve got a pizza chain called Benny’s from VA that sells a pizza advertised as being the diameter of a bike wheel (it is: 29”). That pizza cutter would be a great companion!
I only order pizzas in 650b size.
Old 05-18-23, 08:05 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
In North America, Park reigns supreme. But VAR is still a significant bicycle tool source elsewhere. Unior, Cyclus, Eldi, and others also offer specialty tools for the bicycle industry. In my first bike shop job (late 70s), our bicycle-specific tools were mostly Park and VAR, with a smattering of others (Eldi, Campagnolo, Artisan Tool & Die, etc.). Park and VAR had a cross-licensing/distribution agreement going back at least into the 1980s.
Old 05-18-23, 08:44 PM
grumpus

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
There's a reason why Snap-On is the best. Ask around. Or don't. Whatever.
Snap-on tools aren't the best and they cost too much, but break one and they'll give you a new one. Plus they turn up at your workplace and lure you into their Aladdin's cave on wheels and tempt you with things to make your life easier.
Old 05-18-23, 08:59 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
​​​​​​
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-19-23, 02:24 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I'm not sure why one would buy a 3-way wrench when one can get a 10-way wrench. A whole tool set in a single wrench.

Old 05-19-23, 04:52 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I'm not sure why one would buy a 3-way wrench when one can get a 10-way wrench. A whole tool set in a single wrench.
Simple. Because it feels crappy in your hand. Not to mention, personally, that tool would be absolutely useless on my bike. And probably most bikes that belong to people on these forums.

The best thing about the original AWS-1 wasn’t that it functioned flawlessly, it’s that it felt great in the hand while you used it.

Last edited by smd4; 05-19-23 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-19-23, 07:53 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I have never been a fan of the Three-way Allen or Torx wrenches even though I own them. As was said before, they seem to be fine to tighten new bikes and bolts but after that I find their tolerances to loose to use regularly. My go-to Allen wrenches are PB Swiss with Bundhus coming in a close second. I have never stripped out an Allen bolt with those and I also us their Allen and Torx bits in my torque wrenches.

Then there's the always awkward (to me) feeling of the three-way wrench. I never got used to using them and they don't fit in a pocket very well but to tighten a new bolt they are adequate but I use a torque wrench to get the bolt to spec.

For shop use though, they would be very convenient because you have the sizes you use 90% of the time in your hand. Those things came out after I stopped working in bike shops though. That may be the biggest reason I don't favor them.
Old 05-19-23, 08:21 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
In North America, Park reigns supreme. But VAR is still a significant bicycle tool source elsewhere. Unior, Cyclus, Eldi, and others also offer specialty tools for the bicycle industry. In my first bike shop job (late 70s), our bicycle-specific tools were mostly Park and VAR, with a smattering of others (Eldi, Campagnolo, Artisan Tool & Die, etc.). Park and VAR had a cross-licensing/distribution agreement going back at least into the 1980s.
JohnDThompson,

Similar experience for me as well except I worked in shops from high school (1973) to college (1980-ish), after that I worked construction (carpenter) for summer jobs.

As I recall, the first Park tool we got was a brake "Third Hand". It was a game changer. The old VAR we had was a pain to use. I agree that Park has the American market pretty much locked up but VAR and the others mentioned make very good tools also. Hozan is another company that makes great tools, and in many cases, better than anyone else in my opinion. Their chain tool is an especially coveted tool of mine.

I own a lot of Park tools, for a home mechanic, as well as an array Snap On (which I use to work on my cars), Hozan, VAR, Unior, etc. Many are left over from my days working in bike shops, where many of us had to buy our own tools at the time.

For what you get though, over-all, Park is hard to beat in most bike tool-specific categories.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.