Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brake calipers for Sensah shifters

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-21, 01:08 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts

I got some Sensah 9spd shifters (about $50 delivered) to convert a Centurion Ironman from the original 6spd Shimano 105 to 2x9spd. The shifting works great using the original derailleurs although note I also replaced wheels, chain, cassette (12-28) and front chainring from 42 to 39 teeth.
But the braking is woeful. The front caliper is a newer dual-pivot shimano but the rear is the old 105 single pivot. The front brake is kinda OK but you need a fair amount of hand pressure but the rear is terrible no matter how hard you pull the levers.
Unfortunately there is scant info about these levers online regarding how to install or what derailleurs and/or brake calipers they are compatible with ( the rear derailleurs are compatible with old Shimano 6-10 speed and not the 11spd or Tiagra 4700 series).

Shimano changed the cable pull on their brakes when they went to the 5800/6800/9000 series and called it SLR-EV and it uses a variable pull ratio and the measured pivot point is about 36mm in radius. The old brake standard is confusing called "new Super SLR" and was used on the older brake levers (and is still used today on Sora and Tiagra).
More info about brake pull is here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/1041221-definitive-but-wildly-inaccurate-guide-brake-cable-pull-ratios.html

The question is what are the Sensahs? Some ads imply they are Sora/Tiagra compatible but I measured the radius pivot point and it's about 35mm (but not variable like Shimano) which implies kinda SLR-EV compatible. The old Shimano levers (and Sora) are about 18-20mm so these are definitely different and the terrible performance backs this up.

Old 04-25-21, 02:36 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Before even looking at the levers, I have a few questions.

1. How did the bike stop with the old levers?

I have similarly aged Dura Ace calipers with the original levers and it really doesn't work well. It's more of a garage queen than rider though, so it's ok. My wife has a similarly aged Ironman with 105 and it stops as well as any modern non disc bike out there. So the question is, did the levers make the performance worse or was it kinda bad to start with.

Before I even considered the lever leverage I would look at routing. How smooth does the cable move inside the housing. Are there any bends or kinks. Does the housing move around inside the cable stops when you pull the lever.

Are the brake pads from 1986?

Are the rims clean?
Old 04-25-21, 03:37 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,878 Times in 2,315 Posts
I just measured an old 5500 Shimano lever for it's pivot to cable end shaft, about 19mm. That's a HUGE change of leverage. The single pivot rear caliper just further reduces mechanical leverage. I'll bet the current set up has really firm lever feel, like a rock hard pad clamping rim point. That's the trade off, A hard/stiff lever feel with little actual leverage or a softer/flexy lever feel but with greater leverage.

I suspect the levers were designed with the current crop of calipers that have increased their leverage factor. Andy

Additional and not asked for info- I use Campy Ergo levers from the mid 1990s on my bikes with dual pivot calipers of about the same of slightly later era. They have plenty of leverage for my needs including when I had Campy long reach calipers on my commuter and the cantis on my touring bike. The pointy hooded Campy levers measure at about 20mm BTW.

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 04-25-21 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-25-21, 03:51 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
If you haven't already check the Trace Velo channel on YouTube. He has Sensahs on his bike.
Old 04-26-21, 09:55 AM
bluehills3149

So I changed the front (dual pivot) pads to some cool-stop ones and set the pads to be further from the rims so you need to pull the lever a bit before the brakes engage and the barking is now acceptable but not as good as the original old levers (and regards the cables - they were all new and the pads too).
I think Andy is correct - they chose the latest long-pull ratio to suit the newer style calipers. My guess is that since these levers are available in multiple models in 7speed right up to 12 (yes 12!) speed so rather than make 2 production models they just made a single model that utilizes the newer cable pull (SLR-EV) and for those with older brakes you just have to pull harder.
My recommendation is to use good dual-pivot calipers, good cables, good pads like cool-stop or shimano and back off the pads a bit from the rim.
Old 04-27-21, 09:36 PM
williamskg6

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 17 Posts
I recently built up a Specialized Sirrus from 1987 using Sensah Empire shifters (11 speed) for SRAM. I am using Tektro R741 brakes. While they work OK, they aren't awe inspiring. Front braking seems mostly acceptable when riding on the hoods but not as reassuring as when riding in the drops. I wonder sometimes if I was riding on the hoods and had to stop really, really fast if I could do so. The rear brake is pretty weak no matter what, and I know that's partly due to the much longer cable and housing. I have not replaced the pads yet, but I did use brand new Jagwire cables and housing. I do plan on switching to some better brake pads to see if I can increase my confidence in the brakes.
Old 05-01-21, 06:04 AM
bluehills3149

Update. The Chinese shifters from Sensah and almost certainly LTWOO utilize the long-pull SLR-EV cable design on all their shifters, from 7 spd right up to 12 spd. Brake calipers from Shimano that use long pull are the current 105, Ultegra and Durace but these cost ~$100 up so it kind of kills the budget upgrade idea.
These calipers can be identified by having 2 pivot points separate from the attaching bolt rather than 1 pivot and the second pivot is the retaining bolt design of traditional "dual-pivot" brakes. Searching for other brands that utilize this design I found 2 Chinese brands from ZRace BR-001 and ZTTO available for about $25 a pair - considerably less than the ~$100 for 105. How do these calipers compare to Shimano? No idea, but some reviews (and there are not many) say the quality is great but they work OK. Of the 2 brands my pick is the ZRace with replaceable pads rather than the integrated pads of the ZTTO's.

These are traditional dual-pivot and note the pivot and the second pivot is the retaining bolt.

This is new Shimano 105 and note the 2 pivot points separate to the retaining bolt

This is a Chinese ZRace and note it also has 2 separate pivots.

Old 06-04-21, 02:24 AM
captain_inch

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting topic, i am about to restore an old steel race bike as a comuter, and the Sensah SRX Pro seems to be the only 1 by chinese groupset available for road shifters.

Originally Posted by bluehills3149
Update. The Chinese shifters from Sensah and almost certainly LTWOO utilize the long-pull SLR-EV cable design on all their shifters, from 7 spd right up to 12 spd. Brake calipers from Shimano that use long pull are the current 105, Ultegra and Durace but these cost ~$100 up so it kind of kills the budget upgrade idea.
These calipers can be identified by having 2 pivot points separate from the attaching bolt rather than 1 pivot and the second pivot is the retaining bolt design of traditional "dual-pivot" brakes. Searching for other brands that utilize this design I found 2 Chinese brands from ZRace BR-001 and ZTTO available for about $25 a pair - considerably less than the ~$100 for 105. How do these calipers compare to Shimano? No idea, but some reviews (and there are not many) say the quality is great but they work OK. Of the 2 brands my pick is the ZRace with replaceable pads rather than the integrated pads of the ZTTO's.
These are traditional dual-pivot and note the pivot and the second pivot is the retaining bolt.
This is new Shimano 105 and note the 2 pivot points separate to the retaining bolt
This is a Chinese ZRace and note it also has 2 separate pivots.
@bluehills3149, did you end up buying a Zrace of ZTTO caliper to try it out ? I'm considering doing so, and would appreciate a feedback on what to expect.
Old 06-06-21, 04:11 AM
bluehills3149

No- I haven't tried the other calipers as I used a set of standard Shimano dual-pivots (BR-R560) and they work sufficiently.
Old 06-06-21, 04:49 AM
captain_inch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No- I haven't tried the other calipers as I used a set of standard Shimano dual-pivots (BR-R560) and they work sufficiently.
Alright. As advised on this thread, I am about to order some Sram Force caliper. They should work fine, do you confirm?
Old 06-06-21, 07:09 AM
bluehills3149

They should work OK but if I were buying new and money was not important (but then why get Sensah shifters?) , I would get the ideal match which is Shimano 105 but that will probably be a bad deal financially as they probably exceed the cost of the shifters. So unless you have a set of SRAM calipers available for free/low cost I would get the Zrace at ~$25 /pair and spend the savings on decent pads like Cool-stops.
Old 06-06-21, 12:58 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Why didn't you go with the more tried-and-true Microshift brifters?
BTW I have your twin:

I put a 7 speed freewheel on the original wheel, and changed the shifters to Sora 3300 2X7 brifters. I'm using 105 1055 dual pivot brakes and it stops very well.
Old 06-06-21, 01:54 PM
captain_inch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They should work OK but if I were buying new and money was not important (but then why get Sensah shifters?) , I would get the ideal match which is Shimano 105 but that will probably be a bad deal financially as they probably exceed the cost of the shifters. So unless you have a set of SRAM calipers available for free/low cost I would get the Zrace at ~$25 /pair and spend the savings on decent pads like Cool-stops.
Thanks for the feedback, appreciated. I was thinking about buying the Zrace, but I am restoring an old bike and would like to have chromed components in order to have a nice look. The new shimanos are out of price range for me. And the only brakes I could find are the Sram ones. I can get a pair of Sram force for 55€ (65USD), which makes it ok for me. I've used the Red calipers and they were great.

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Why didn't you go with the more tried-and-true Microshift brifters?
BTW I have your twin:
I put a 7 speed freewheel on the original wheel, and changed the shifters to Sora 3300 2X7 brifters. I'm using 105 1055 dual pivot brakes and it stops very well.
Nice rig. And good point / question. Don't really know why but I'm not super inclined to go for such a brand. But the 11s of the Sensah vs 10s of Microshift's is definitely a plus when considering a single chainring setup. I would just appreciate that there would be more 1 by groupsets in entry-level price range.
Old 04-02-23, 07:03 PM
systemBuilder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I would not bother getting the ZRace BR-001 brake shaped-objects (BSO's). They are terrible. The pads are really poor quality and require replacement. And apparently the cable stop uses a BASO (Barrel-Adjuster-Shaped Object) which actually DOES NOT TURN. The ZRace-BR001 truly are garbage brakes. Just get something cheap from Tektro (like a R3xx model or R5xx model) and you'll be much much happier !!

Old 04-02-23, 07:09 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Shimano lists their latest calipers as essentially compatible with the older stuff. Are we sure that the Sensah levers aren't intended for mechanical disc?
Old 04-02-23, 08:48 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Shimano lists their latest calipers as essentially compatible with the older stuff. Are we sure that the Sensah levers aren't intended for mechanical disc?
the pull radius is similar to V-brake and MTB disc.
Old 04-03-23, 04:59 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by systemBuilder
I would not bother getting the ZRace BR-001 brake shaped-objects (BSO's). They are terrible. The pads are really poor quality and require replacement. And apparently the cable stop uses a BASO (Barrel-Adjuster-Shaped Object) which actually DOES NOT TURN. The ZRace-BR001 truly are garbage brakes. Just get something cheap from Tektro (like a R3xx model or R5xx model) and you'll be much much happier !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-ZS8iuMTHA&t=250s
Hmmm, I have a set of those ZRaces and while the stock pads weren't great the barrel adjusters work just fine.
They worked well with Sensah 11S levers.