Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can't remove derailleur cage bolt - SRAM XO

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-21, 01:13 PM
Brianw7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is there a trick to removing the derailleur cage bolt that holds the cage onto the clutch? I can't loosen mine..it just spins. I looked at another derailleur and there is a bushing that the bolt threads into. It appears that this bushing is just spinning - there doesn't appear to be a way to hold the bushing so that the bolt can be un-threaded. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-04-23, 06:31 PM
andy13

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you find a fix?

Brian,
Did you find a fix for this? I am having the same issue with a Force 1 derailleur.
Originally Posted by Brianw7
Is there a trick to removing the derailleur cage bolt that holds the cage onto the clutch? I can't loosen mine..it just spins. I looked at another derailleur and there is a bushing that the bolt threads into. It appears that this bushing is just spinning - there doesn't appear to be a way to hold the bushing so that the bolt can be un-threaded. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-04-23, 09:26 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Are you just wanting to remove the cage? If so, I found the ceramic speed instructions helpful for removing the cages on my SRAM road RDs.
Old 04-05-23, 04:57 PM
andy13

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So the only way to address this is to take the clutch apart from the other side. Mine is a Type 2 clutch and I had to remove the center plastic cover on the clutch with a razor blade, which self destructed during this procedure. This will expose a T55 bolt, which is a plastic cover for the clutch assembly. This can be removed with an 8mm allen if you don't have a T55. This will expose the shaft (?) of the clutch which has a recess that is a 4mm allen. The shaft is what was spinning so you can hold it with a 4mm wrench and use a 3mm wrench to detach the cage from the rear. I took this opportunity to clean up and grease the inside parts that were easy to access. Put it all back together in reverse. The destroyed plastic cover is just a dust cover and does not affect performance, leaving the T55 exposed.
Type 2.1 clutches have a pin holding the T55 and must be removed before unscrewing the T55 cover.
Unknown on Type 3 clutches.
Andy