Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

upgrading cannondales

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

upgrading cannondales

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-11, 01:37 PM
jamieandjean10

Bikes: Look 586,cannondale road tandem , thorn triplet,+ about 10 others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
upgrading cannondales

I'm just wondering how many of you out there have upgraded their Cannondales to carbon forks, lighter wheels etc.

if so which forks did you have any success with and what did it do to the handling ?

I like my Cannondale, its stiff and fast but i just couldn't help feeling it was crying out for some fast wheels ( my Rolfs arrive on Friday) and would be even faster with a bit less weight.......you know the score.
Jim
Old 12-14-11, 05:07 PM
mtnbke

Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Definitely worth upgrading. You can get a C'dale pretty light if you work at it. They are incredibly fast bikes (due to being stiff and not as noodly as some others) and worthy of whatever you can afford to hang on it. If you can fit the stock sizes of a Cannondale, I'm always felt that they are the best value (at any price point) in tandems. They are so capable. You can build them as rocket bikes for tandem racing with lightweight components and wheels. Yet the frames, while lightweight, are so strong that they make great touring tandems as well (obviously with an appropriate touring wheelset), equipped with front and rear panniers. This is where they really shine. Unlike noodly tandems, a C'dale is stiff and you and your stoker won't feel like you are going different directions, at times. Remember C'dale was the original "Bike Packing" company way back in '73 long before they started building bikes (in '83). Most don't know this, but the "BOBish" and Rivendell perspective of building an all-purpose bike actually was ripped off from Cannondale, and specifically the ST series of touring bikes. The Cannondale tandem is completely based on those ST series bikes.

If you go back and look at the early Cannondale ST series you'll see that it was already on the market in '83, '84 (Grant didn't get into Bridgestone until Dec '84, almost '85) as exactly the type of bikes that Grant would advocate with Bridgestone, and later build with Rivendell (save a Cannondale not being boat anchor steel, it is lighter, stiffer, faster, and stronger). The '86 ST is my favorite (maybe, because I own one, but mostly because it was offered in 27", 68~69cm) with just a Grant wet-dream of a build: Front and Rear racks, Fenders, fits wide tires, relaxed geometry and caters to an more upright riding position, Superbe Pro derailleurs (only place Superbe Pro came with a GT long touring cage from Suntour, I think), Brooks honey leather saddle, Superbe pedals with clips (Cannondale branded leather matches Brooks) and straps, Nitto stem, Nitto Ranndonneur bars, Dia Compe NGC cantilevers in black. Just an epic touring do everything bike. The Metallic flake Anthracite paint is still breathtaking after twenty-five years. My favorite part is that the front and rear racks and all three water bottle cages were painted by C'dale to match. I still advocate these as 'grail finds' and some of the best bikes ever made. Worthy of a Joe Bell repaint, and twice the bike that Riv has been trying to copy ever since. My only regret is that Cannondale never made the tandem in the 27" size even though they made thousands of 27" touring bikes (even the LL BEAN/Cannondale ST400 was offered in 27").

So enjoy that C'dale, and have fun upgrading it. You truly have a do anything bike that is as fast or faster than all but a couple of carbon bikes out there. It is a better climber (with a coordinated team) than almost anything else out there, and can outkick just about most other tandems in a sprint. That you can tour with that same bike, just is almost silly. There just is no substitute for a lightweight, strong, stiff, frame on a tandem (or single). I think the extra room the stoker enjoys in the stoker section makes a C'dale a better bike than most other tandems even if it wasn't lighter, stronger, or stiffer.

IMO, often expressed, I think the Cannondale tandem is vastly underrated, and many that have sought the pretense and vanity of a more boutique builder have ended up with "less bike." However, tandems are intensely personal, in fit, and preference. If you can't get a tandem to fit you and your team, it probably isn't the right bike now matter how amazing it is in the showroom.

I'm astonished to read on these forums when people migrate from their second hand C'dales to a Santana or Co-Motion steel tandem. They truly have half the bike, a heavier bike, a slower climber, and a weaker frame. What they loved was the new wheels, new components, and "new bike." Good for you for upgrading your C'dale. Let other tandem teams try out your bike when you're finished, and enjoy the looks of surprise on their faces as they realize that your Cannondale is something special.

I lost money in Cannondale the corporation (ticker BIKE) after Joe Montgomery used corporate monies to secure a multi-million dollar personal home, prior to their bankruptcy. So while I think Cannondale the corporation was a horrible horrible company, their bikes were world class (at least the tandems and ST series touring bikes).

Last edited by mtnbke; 12-14-11 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-14-11, 05:59 PM
dfcas

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put an Ouzo pro cross fork (it was tandem rated) on a Cannondale and liked it a lot. The ride was better and the steering seemed a little quicker.
Old 12-14-11, 06:37 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I have a 2009 C'dale with a Reynolds Ouzo carbon tandem fork. It does ride a bit softer than the fatty fork, but then I find that even a supposedly "harsh" riding C'dale tandem is very soft compared to any solo bike. So I do not have a problem with ride comfort on any tandem I have ridden.
I also use Mavic Cosmic Elite wheels and Campag Record 10 speed gears.
Old 12-14-11, 06:42 PM
rhino919

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree, definitely worth upgrading.

My wife and I upgraded our Cannondale tandem with an Alpha Q tandem fork and Rolf Wheels. We went from a front disc to an Ultegra caliper brake. After the upgrades, it was a completely different bike. We dropped 4 lbs of weight (~2.5 lbs on the wheels alone), so that helped on the hills. The handling was also vastly improved. I'm not sure if it was the wheels, the fork, or the change in geometry that caused it, but I suddenly felt like I could corner with the other tandems we were racing against (mostly Co-Motions). Since you can't get the Alpha Q fork any more, I would look at either the ENVE Road 2.0 or the Co-Motion Tandem fork.

We have really enjoyed our Cannondale, but have found that it really doesn't fit either of us well. So, we have just commissioned a new custom tandem. The captains TT will be shorter and the stoker compartment will be longer.
Old 12-14-11, 10:09 PM
specbill
Riding Heaven's Highwayson the grand tour

Bikes: '10 C'Dale Tandem RT2. '07 Trek Tandem T2000, '10 Epic Marathon MTB, '12 Rocky Mountain Element 950 MTB, '95 C'dale R900, "04 Giant DS 2 '07 Kona Jake the Snake, '95 Nishiki Backroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondales's are big fun to upgrade because almost everything imaginable is available and will fit the bike....no proprietary issues!
We've had 3 C'dale Tandems. Two were first generation frames, one of which we had custom built in '90 and then extensively upgraded in '07. I put every carbon piece, Dura-ace, and XTR goodie on it that I could afford but I could never find a proper 1 inch carbon fork for it. Never the less, all of the upgrades made a good old Tandem an even better current Tandem.... we loved that bike and never regretted spending waaaay too much money on all the upgrades, ...it was a great ride.

Since '09 we've had a couple of other Tandems with the most recent being a 2010 C'dale Road Tandem. Straight out of the box this current generation Cannondale is a super bike and a great value as repeatedly mentioned on this forum. One of the things I really appreciate about this C'dale is the very positive feel that the huge Fatty fork gives the front of the bike particularly on steep, twisty downhills and under hard braking. I'm not so sure I'd be quick to risk going to a carbon fork for the kind of riding that we do. The only upgrade I would be tempted to go after, if I did not love the disc brakes so muce, would be to try some high quality go fast wheels along with a change to caliper brakes. I think you are right on target with the wheels and believe that there is speed to be found in that area particularly in the acceleration phase.
What are you doing for brakes with the Rolf's?
Bill J.
Old 12-14-11, 11:02 PM
andydreisch
Newbie but oldbie

Bikes: Trek 520, Lemond Victoire, Fisher Sugar 2, Cannondale tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our upgrade has been limited to a pair of Brooks saddles! We love our C'dale. Tough as nails--and we're a heavy team with loads of touring miles.
Old 12-14-11, 11:47 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Two years before the C'dale tandem was introduced, we were test riding one of their two prototypes for the company for 3 months.
The bike had no stickers/labels.

Tandem did not fit stoker properly (she's 4' 10 3/4" tall) it was a make-do fit for 3 months of testing.
First thing we asked C'dale was for us to put the pedals 90 degrees out-of-phase.
Engineers asked us "why?"
Explained to them about OOP being easier on the drivetrain/frame and always having a power stroke going over the top; especially usefull when climbing.
Had a great time but felt the ride was on the harsh side, especially for the stoker. Remember, there were no suspension seatposts yet avaiable at that time.
C'dale, in our opinion, is/was a good priced machine and very upgradeable.
A pity the future of C'dale tandems is now a big question mark since the company was sold.
Have ridden steel, alu, titanium and carbon fiber tandems.
We all have our personal preferences.
Have ridden over 30 brands/models of tandems, foreign and domestic, mass production and customs.
Currently riding a custom full carbon fiber tandem (Zona) with over 33,000 miles on the odo.
Pedalon TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 12-15-11, 04:07 AM
p2templin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're looking to switch to a carbon fork, here's a thought: new wheels. Our dealer (House of Tandems Texas) recently introduced a tandem version of a Spinergy wheelset (Basofil spokes, similar to Kevlar). They say try those wheels before switching to a carbon fork.

We bought a set after our Rolf rear broke (two spokes/nipples pulled clean through the wheel) since da Vinci uses a unique spec for their rear disc and I wanted to have spare wheels. Unfortunately, I've only ridden the wheels a mile around the block at HoTT with Ric on the back; rain, Sunday work, and supporting the decoration efforts of a Christmas-addicted stoker-wife have prevented any other riding. My first impression was "crisp but smooth", so I'm looking forward to trying them on the road.
Old 12-15-11, 11:52 AM
jamieandjean10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm keeping the BB7's ( gone for the disc versions of the Rolf Wheels) I have spent a bit of time replacing cable outers and filing square cable ends, using metal end caps to get the best possible feel and it made a big difference; the BB7's have plenty of power and feel now. Don't see any reason to change other than for a few grammes.

You're right about the fatty fork; Mine is a 2010 model too and the accuracy of steering above 40 mph is the best I've come across on any bike I've owned. I won't change it unless I can find the right fork.
Old 12-15-11, 11:56 AM
jamieandjean10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhino919

My wife and I upgraded our Cannondale tandem with an Alpha Q tandem fork and Rolf Wheels. We went from a front disc to an Ultegra caliper brake. After the upgrades, it was a completely different bike. We dropped 4 lbs of weight (~2.5 lbs on the wheels alone), so that helped on the hills. The handling was also vastly improved. I'm not sure if it was the wheels, the fork, or the change in geometry that caused it, but I suddenly felt like I could corner with the other tandems we were racing against (mostly Co-Motions). Since you can't get the Alpha Q fork any more, I would look at either the ENVE Road 2.0 or the Co-Motion Tandem fork.

We have really enjoyed our Cannondale, but have found that it really doesn't fit either of us well. So, we have just commissioned a new custom tandem. The captains TT will be shorter and the stoker compartment will be longer.
Did you notice any major differences in length of the new fork compared to the original fork? Was it equipped with a fatty aluminium one originally ?

Jim
Old 12-15-11, 12:25 PM
Wintersport

Bikes: Cannondales several

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm upgrading a 3.0 road frame (1989 - 92) ...

Rear dropout is 126mm and a brand new set of 105 8/9/10 hubs dropped right in. Open Pro rims from Performance.
... there is a spacer that'll allow mounting 7 speed cassette. I just got it and will post later on how/if it works.
.... My plan is for an SRAM 8 speed cassette with SRAM chain.
... I'm keeping the down-tube shifters and using friction shifting, instead of index. .... Note: I bought NOS Suntour shifters, same as original.

Some 3.0s' had Campy gear and that'll influence your upgrade choices.

I'm holding off on the carbon fork upgrade. For the price: performance ratio, I can buy a newer 2006-2010 C'dale that already has carbon parts.

What's cannondale are you upgrading ?
Old 12-15-11, 04:06 PM
dfcas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wintersport
I'm upgrading a 3.0 road frame (1989 - 92) ...

Rear dropout is 126mm and a brand new set of 105 8/9/10 hubs dropped right in. Open Pro rims from Performance.
... there is a spacer that'll allow mounting 7 speed cassette. I just got it and will post later on how/if it works.
.... My plan is for an SRAM 8 speed cassette with SRAM chain.
... I'm keeping the down-tube shifters and using friction shifting, instead of index. .... Note: I bought NOS Suntour shifters, same as original.

Some 3.0s' had Campy gear and that'll influence your upgrade choices.

I'm holding off on the carbon fork upgrade. For the price: performance ratio, I can buy a newer 2006-2010 C'dale that already has carbon parts.

What's cannondale are you upgrading ?

This is a tandem forum.
Old 12-18-11, 11:31 AM
jamieandjean10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhino919

Mine seems to fit my ( and the missus) body fairly well. Fitted my Rolfs this weekend and lost a chunk of weight( 500g + from rear alone) so it should be a bit more responsive now.Love to see a pic of your Cannondale if you have one ......?
Old 12-18-11, 12:59 PM
rhino919

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jamieandjean10
Did you notice any major differences in length of the new fork compared to the original fork? Was it equipped with a fatty aluminium one originally ?

Jim
Yes, it was originally equipped with the fatty fork. The Alpha Q is considerably shorter, but I don't know how much.
Old 12-20-11, 07:03 PM
Eddie50
Blind Runner

Bikes: 2006 Trek T2000 Tandem, a Fat bike and a CX bike

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
After having a 2004 rt1000 and selling it for fit reason( Im the blind stoker, taller than my wife) and getting a 2007 Trek T2000, I now just bought a 2010 RT2 Cdale.

Simple, more room in the rear than the 2004, and wayyy stiffer than the Trek, and never hooked on the T2000, did not match the road feel of the old 2004 RT1000.

So, upgrades on the new cdale are a wound up duo disc fork, flight deck, new wheels for the look I must admit, but turns out they are lighter, almost as lights as the T2000 race lite wheels.
WI Black 36h disc hubs
Black spokes
White non machined side wall Deep V rims
I wanted to match the white frame.

-12-25 cassette, I hate the wide ratio on the stock casettes

Did not however try the new parts, its winter here so will know next year

Its still heavier than the T2000 but its worth it for the stiffness and better brakes (ok, and for the look too! )
Old 12-21-11, 03:41 AM
mtnbke

Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by specbill
I put every carbon piece...but I could never find a proper 1 inch carbon fork for it.
Wound-Up will make a 1" carbon tandem fork to fit the Cannondale, you just have to call them.
Old 12-21-11, 03:42 AM
mtnbke

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by andydreisch
Our upgrade has been limited to a pair of Brooks saddles! We love our C'dale. Tough as nails--and we're a heavy team with loads of touring miles.
Sold all my Brooks saddles! They made my willy go numb. I only use a Selle Italia Prolink Gel flow saddle now. For whatever reason this is the saddle that Zinn found works for taller cyclists, for whatever reason.
Old 12-21-11, 11:32 AM
specbill
Riding Heaven's Highwayson the grand tour

Bikes: '10 C'Dale Tandem RT2. '07 Trek Tandem T2000, '10 Epic Marathon MTB, '12 Rocky Mountain Element 950 MTB, '95 C'dale R900, "04 Giant DS 2 '07 Kona Jake the Snake, '95 Nishiki Backroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mtnbke.....I'm not trying to get off subject here but: Regarding old one inch forks on a Tandem. After 20+ years of use we finally sold our '90 C'dale a few months ago. We actually stop riding it much a couple of years ago because of a serious concern about the long term use of the front fork. It was a great Tandem for many years, the only long term weak-link in that first generation C'dale, in our opinion, was that little 1 inch steerer tube. We got tens of thousands of miles out of ours before it cracked. We rode way too many rough, pothole filled abusive roads with it. Fortunately we caught it doing a headset replacement. After finding a replacement fork we sadly sold it.
We are not the fist person on this forum that has had an old, well used, one inch fork fail on a Tandem. Ours just cracked...do a search and you may find a photo of a broken one that should freak you out.
I also have a '91 C'dale tandem in the shop as a future resto project...so I'm certain that '91's also have a 1" fork. I don't know what your '92 C'dale has for a fork, but the sole purpose of this long-winded post is to alert you to use extreme caution IF your '92 has a 1'steerer tube. We are currently a 290 pound team and we are not particularly strong riders, and it did take us 20 years of abusive roads to kill our fork, but I am concerned for your very big and strong team's safety if you have an aged 1 inch fork. Best wishes.

Bill J.

Last edited by specbill; 12-21-11 at 11:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-21-11, 04:19 PM
Dean V

This thread needs some pics.
Here is our TT bike.

Here is our road bike
Old 12-21-11, 07:48 PM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wow - I can see why you need a stiff bike. Looks like stoker and captain have about the same leg length. What is the distance of your saddle to bottom of pedal stroke?

Wayne from where everything is not bigger in Texas
Old 12-21-11, 09:33 PM
Dean V

I have a saddle height of 30.7" (BB centre to top of saddle) and my wife is 2" less. We are not that heavy at 300 lb.
Old 12-22-11, 09:05 AM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Here is our road bike
^ is this the largest frame size Cannondale sells now? Not trying to be critical, seems like a larger frame would let you get the same fit with a more typical seatpost length.
Old 12-22-11, 01:55 PM
Dean V

This is a medium/small which is a 54cm frame in the front and their smallest size. I would of preferred a large/small (56cm) which is what the other frame is but the black one came up for sale second hand at the right price so I got it. I can use either size frame alright with different length handle bar stems.
The C'dale frames do require long seat posts though. A bit like mountain bikes. I don't actually like this aspect of them from an aesthetic point of view, but that is just how they are.
Old 12-22-11, 06:33 PM
Eddie50
Blind Runner

Bikes: 2006 Trek T2000 Tandem, a Fat bike and a CX bike

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some pictures, crappy quality, bike is in the basement, no lighting. I hope they will work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.