Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Knog Oi Luxe Bike Bell

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Knog Oi Luxe Bike Bell

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-20, 01:47 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Knog Oi Luxe Bike Bell

I have a few of the first gen Oi bells, but find that they are easy to break. I like the design and the Luxe version looks more durable. Anybody riding with the Luxe and have raves/rants?

https://www.rei.com/product/153660/k...luxe-bike-bell
Old 11-16-20, 03:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4402 Post(s)
Liked 4,035 Times in 2,693 Posts
I think it is a neat bell but my bell needs are handled by Spurcycle, probably the finest bell I have rung and I have rung a lot of them. I cannot speak to durability but it isn't a bad sounding bell and the space it takes up isn't too bad and it looks good.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-17-20, 06:39 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 489 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I have a few of the first gen Oi bells, but find that they are easy to break. I like the design and the Luxe version looks more durable. Anybody riding with the Luxe and have raves/rants?

https://www.rei.com/product/153660/k...luxe-bike-bell
I currently have two or three new Knog Oi bells, in addition to one of the original ones. The new design rectifies the flimsy original striker. I also have an original Spurcycle; the new knog is more low profile, the ring is not as high pitched or as long lasting as the Spurcycle but still fairly nice sounding. So far, all of the bells are still working, nothing has fallen off.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 11-17-20, 07:40 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I think it is a neat bell but my bell needs are handled by Spurcycle, probably the finest bell I have rung and I have rung a lot of them. I cannot speak to durability but it isn't a bad sounding bell and the space it takes up isn't too bad and it looks good.
Love my Spurcycle and I find the sound quite pleasant yet effective.
Likes For WorldIRC:
Old 11-17-20, 08:01 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 647 Posts
I have the brass version it's not a pretty sounding bell but it is convenient.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 11-17-20, 08:48 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
I currently have two or three new Knog Oi bells....the new knog is more low profile, the ring is not as high pitched or as long lasting as the Spurcycle .....
I'd never heard of the Spurcycle until reading about it here yesterday. I was all set to order one until I watched a few videos first and decided I didn't like the sound at all. Much too high and too long-lasting; it reminded me of something I could play on my Yamaha keyboard. Maybe it is better in real life? I like the old-fashioned bike-bell sound the best because everyone recognizes them as a bike bell. Unfortunately the old-fashioned bells take up space, look goofy, rattle over bumps, etc...

Last edited by Reflector Guy; 11-17-20 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-17-20, 04:56 PM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Another vote for the Spurcycle. With that said, I once rung mine several times while following behind an elderly jogger and he instinctively reached behind and pulled out his phone thinking that someone was either calling or texting him. I didn’t look back to see what his reaction was as I passed by.
Likes For Batstar:
Old 11-18-20, 07:48 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
^^^
Old 11-18-20, 08:28 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I'd never heard of the Spurcycle until reading about it here yesterday. I was all set to order one until I watched a few videos first and decided I didn't like the sound at all. Much too high and too long-lasting; it reminded me of something I could play on my Yamaha keyboard. Maybe it is better in real life? I like the old-fashioned bike-bell sound the best because everyone recognizes them as a bike bell. Unfortunately the old-fashioned bells take up space, look goofy, rattle over bumps, etc...
When I was looking for a bell I didn't want the typical "Zhing zhing" bell sound, but I did find some cheap Chinese bells on Amazon that make a nice "ding ding" sound, and they're quite loud for their size.