Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

40 hole rim

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

40 hole rim

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-24, 02:30 PM
RickL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
40 hole rim

Not sure if this should be posted here or in the Recumbent section, but it is a tandem.

We have managed to destroy the the 40 spoke rear wheel on our Rans Seavo recumbent tandem and our local bike shop, in Victoria, BC, Canada, is having a hard time sourcing a replacement rim to rebuild the wheel. They have basically said they can only do it if we can supply the rim.

Rans is, of course, no longer an option. PHOENIX BIKE WRX, who bought the Rans inventory, says they are not longer supporting older Rans bikes, so they are not a likely source.

Does anyone have a 40 hole 26 inch rim that I can buy or know a good place to get one? I've already Googled 26 inch 40 hole bicycle rim so I have a couple of possibilities but I thought this community might have some better ideas.
Old 03-30-24, 06:41 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Velocity Dyad
https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/dyad-26

Sun Rhyno Lite
https://velomine.com/products/rim-sunringle-26-559x22-rhyno-lite-40-black-msw
Likes For bboy314:
Old 03-30-24, 06:44 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Velocityusa.com has options for you to consider. I'm pretty surprised your bike shop wouldn't know of this option.
Likes For Paul J:
Old 03-30-24, 08:52 PM
Rick

Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 278 Posts
Peter White Cycles lists the VTY4000M-55936 Velocity 26"/559 Cliffhanger black 40h Machined Sidewalls $120.00. You would need to call to confirm it is in stock and to get the current price and order. This is the strongest rim Velocity currently makes. I have the Velocity Psycho rims in 36 no longer made on my touring bicycle. The Andra 40 made in 32 and 36 is currently the strongest and heaviest rim available.
Old 03-30-24, 09:13 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked 1,884 Times in 848 Posts
I could see a new 40 hole rim in 559 size being tough to source, but not impossible (kind of the way that narrow high-pressure 26" tires are becoming).

Here's another up-vote for Velocity rims. I have several sets of 26" wheels built with 36 hole Deep Vs, and they have proven to be remarkably durable and maintenance-free. It's too bad Velocity stopped making the Deep V in 26" size a couple of decades ago. I have heard good things about their other rims as well.

Our tandem has 48 spoke wheels, on which I've had to replace the rims (Sun Rhynos) once. Should I have to replace them again, I could see that possibly being a problem. But so far so good.

Regarding Rans: I have a 1983 Nimbus. The frame had a problem which needed warranty service in the 80s, and the fork needed replacement in 1992, which Rans handled at no charge. But about a decade ago I snapped the original aluminum handlebar, and they couldn't help me at all as they'd liquidated all the old 80s parts long before that. Ended up having to use a steel Sunlite ape-hanger bar - it works, but isn't as elegant as the original model.
Old 04-01-24, 07:36 PM
tandemdr

Bikes: Precision Tandem, Co-Motion Tandem, Co-Motion Klatch, Schwinn Paramount

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
A bit late on this but if it still helps, https://www.PrecisionTandems.com/catalogpartsweb.htm#rims has one remaing 26"/559 Velocity Chukker Rim, in black with a machined sidewall rim. This now discontinued rim (unfortunately) in the 26" 559 size is very strong with its 32mm deep section while having the width of the Dyad making it the go to favorite for heavy teams, triplets, quads, even quints, and also recumbents. At the end of the day it should be stronger than the also discontinued 26" 559 Deep V due to its extra width. It also better supports wider tires than the Deep V.

Here is the rim profile for a visual.
https://www.precisiontandems.com/cat...chukkerdim.jpg

And if you need proof, here is a photo of a 26" 559 Chukker with 48 holes supporting almost 1,000 pounds!
https://www.precisiontandems.com/bra...ran_2015_3.jpg
Likes For tandemdr:
Old 04-03-24, 12:41 PM
RickL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thank you everyone for helping me out. I ended up contacting Velocity directly and, on their advice, ordered two NoBS rims (one to repair, one as a spare ), which fit the tires I use better than the also recommended Cliffhangers. The ordering process was simple and the person answering my emails, Tom Black, was very helpful.

I love these communities !
Likes For RickL: