Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What a summer I've had!

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What a summer I've had!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-14, 10:43 AM
jhawk

Bikes: Triumph Mountain Bike, Villiger Cabgona Touring Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a summer I've had!

Hi all,

It has been ages since I last posted on these forums. So I thought I'd give you a quick update on what's going on in my touring world, my plans for next year, and since my summer is now over, I thought I'd let you all know just what the devil I've been up to!

My summer began with the prospect of lots of touring! Shorter trips, mostly, but still plenty of learning and riding and experiences to-be-had. Unfortunately - that hasn't happened. Work got crazy busy all of a sudden, then I began to spend more time at home when I wasn't working, as we have two dogs who can't really be left alone in the house overnight, and there was, more-often-than-not, nobody else at home to look after them. Still, it wasn't all bad...

I have, through this Forum, WarmShowers, and the various Bicycle Touring Facebook groups, had the great privilege to meet up with, interview, and interact with some of the most amazing people.

I've met men like Edward Wrigley, a world-traveller, on a tour from Oregon, to Vancouver, across Canada to Nova Scotia, then down to New York. I've met five cross-country cyclists in one day! (They were five on an end-of-university tour! The evening spent with them, and the subsequent departure ride the following morning, remain one of the highlights of my summer.) Yesterday, I met a fellow Brit (one of many that I've met this summer), she was crossing Canada - a late starter, but still, she will finish her ride in the next week or so.

I wrote an article about one friend's question to me... "How do you meet people?". You can view that here.

I have also conducted (and have still to conduct) a great many interviews with the people that I've met. I think that the meetings of all of these amazing people are probably what is so infectious about bicycle touring... At least, this being my first year of being interested in travel by bicycle, that has been my experience.

Unfortunately, due to a catastrophic crash in Rimouski, Quebec, which left Derek Boocock injured, I haven't had the opportunity to meet and/or interview him yet. I hope that I will someday, but, time will tell. That has been hard for me, to face the possibility of never getting to meet a man who has been such a fantastic inspiration to me (and many others), in my young life.

My freelance writing has also been published on other websites. Here's an article that I wrote about a day's ride around Kouchibouguac National Park, in New Brunswick, Canada. I have submitted multiple interview articles to websites, webzines, magazines and the like - some have expressed interest, others haven't. And I'm still waiting on contact from the Sudbury Star in Sudbury, Ontario for an article that I wrote and they accepted in late July! That's slightly irritating.

I've also been featured on The Pursuit Zone - an adventure-sports podcasting website. You can view that interview here: https://thepursuitzone.com/tpz-060/, where I explain more about my upcoming tour across Canada next year - and perhaps it will clear up any questions that people may have had.

I have also had great luck with gaining some sponsored interest in my trip, from a couple of clothing companies - namely, Bobolink Gear, in the US, and Funkier Canada, located in Toronto. I've purchased (and love) a Hennessy Hammock, from Hennessy Hammocks in Nanaimo, British Columbia. And my father and I have created a Twitter page for fellow hammock hangers - hanging out in places you'd least expect to find them!

In summary, my summer has been great!

Sure, I haven't got to do the travelling that I necessarily wanted to do. But instead I have gained knowledge, inspiration and friendships from the people that I have met. As I've said, the people are what have made my first year as a cycle-touring novice, a good one.

It's been one heck of a summer, and I wanted to share that all with you.

Cheers,

Jack.

Last edited by jhawk; 10-04-14 at 10:48 AM.