Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

soo..

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-15, 12:24 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
soo..

i have been looking at the Nashbar Carbon 105 Road bike.
I currently own a Scott S40 Speedster 2007 with Tiagra components..

Has anyone bought this nashbar bike? The reviews seem pretty positive.
how do they like the carbon? how much lighter would a carbon bike be? Does this bike ride well?

I am planning on, if i buy it, to upgrade brakes to 105 as well.

So with brakes the total for the bike would $888! It just seems like a great deal.
Old 11-30-15, 12:29 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i agree, that would be a a great deal.
Old 11-30-15, 12:35 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
yup, seems like a great deal
Old 11-30-15, 12:50 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

any experience with the carbon nashbar bike?
Old 11-30-15, 01:20 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
As in the case of another poster recently you should also consider the Performance near equivalent. If you have a Performance store locally, you can get full bike shop sevice and not have to complete the assembly yourself. Nashbar and Performance are owned by the same company. The two bikes are very close if not exactly the same. Also you can get double Performance reward points right now worth almost $200 on a future purchase

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 11-30-15, 06:29 PM
Ravenwing

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a great price! Got mine on sale, but not that low. I think its a great bike for the price, with the typical mix of generic carbon frame and 105 components. It's light, handles well. The only changes I've made to mine have been a Selle Anatomica saddle and Continental tires to replace the Kendas that came on it. Also changed the cranks, but only because they came with the Power2Max power meter I picked up for it. The bike is just getting ready to tick over 2,000 miles, with zero issues. I've never owned brand name higher-end bikes, so I don't have anything to compare it against, but its doing the job just fine for me. Flashy, it ain't......but that's ok with me.
Old 11-30-15, 08:23 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
I was holding out for a quoted frame/fork weight ... the people who wrote reviews on the Nashbar site (for just the frame) claim they have built it up at 16-17 lbs using Ultegra, which would be my preference if I was going to drop the bucks in the first place.

I figure it would be the same frame one would get from the bigger Chinese open-mold suppliers, but a little more expensive to cover Nashbar's awesome return policy. So ... RM13 and Rpenmanparker could tell you about what to expect as well as Ravenwing (really glad to hear from someone who actually has the bike.)

One thing everyone mentions is that the bike is Extremely stiff--some folks seem to like it even for long rides, some seem to think it is a little to aggressive.
Old 12-01-15, 06:56 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Last time I looked at the claimed weight of a Nashbar carbon frame (no fork) about six months ago, it was not competitive with the lightest offerings from Hongfu, Dengfu and Workswell. I can't remember exactly, but I think it was over 1,000 g. Not horrible, but shall we say, two generations behind state of the art. I consider the other brands mentioned to be one generation behind the big name guys who are hitting 675-700 g.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-01-15, 06:59 AM
rpenmanparker 

Matthew, please forgive me for mentioning that you would have gotten more interest and responses if the title of your thread were not so mysterious. Some folks will read a post like that. Others just say, "Meh!" and move on. It really helps to let people know what the subject of your inquiry is if you want them to tune in and respond.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-01-15, 07:58 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
soo...

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Matthew, please forgive me for mentioning that you would have gotten more interest and responses if the title of your thread were not so mysterious. Some folks will read a post like that. Others just say, "Meh!" and move on. It really helps to let people know what the subject of your inquiry is if you want them to tune in and respond.
IMO, that is nice of you to take the time to give that advice.

Actually I read this thread because I was intrigued by the apparent introductory comment (? to a rant). If it was titled as a direct question about bike comparisons, I would have have said the Boston, or my Michiganian equivalent of "Meh," something like "Who cares?."

Actually, I always thought “Meh” was a Mid-Atlantic regionalism, but I note you post from Houston TX.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-01-15 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-01-15, 08:23 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

cannot get the multi quote to work so are some responses.

@Ravenwing "That is a great price! Got mine on sale, but not that low. I think its a great bike for the price, with the typical mix of generic carbon frame and 105 components. It's light, handles well. The only changes I've made to mine have been a Selle Anatomica saddle and Continental tires to replace the Kendas that came on it. Also changed the cranks, but only because they came with the Power2Max power meter I picked up for it. The bike is just getting ready to tick over 2,000 miles, with zero issues. I've never owned brand name higher-end bikes, so I don't have anything to compare it against, but its doing the job just fine for me. Flashy, it ain't......but that's ok with me."

that is cool that it is a good price but I think I am going to pass unless it goes to 30 or 35% off then I might really have to reconsider. My wife let me buy a new light and some new panniers so this might be too much for our budget right now. I really like my Scott but I was wondering the weight was. I could not find that anywhere. I am not sure why Nashbar does not include that with their write up. I wish I could find the weight of 2007 Scott S40 Speedster so I could know to compare.

@Maelochs
"I was holding out for a quoted frame/fork weight ... the people who wrote reviews on the Nashbar site (for just the frame) claim they have built it up at 16-17 lbs using Ultegra, which would be my preference if I was going to drop the bucks in the first place.

I figure it would be the same frame one would get from the bigger Chinese open-mold suppliers, but a little more expensive to cover Nashbar's awesome return policy. So ... RM13 and Rpenmanparker could tell you about what to expect as well as Ravenwing (really glad to hear from someone who actually has the bike.)

One thing everyone mentions is that the bike is Extremely stiff--some folks seem to like it even for long rides, some seem to think it is a little to aggressive."

I am not sure if my Scott is considered stiff or not. I like and feel like it is a pretty and fast bike but part of that could be the motor I am wondering if this carbon 105 would allow me to get a little more speed and perhaps a little more vibration reduction while riding.

@rpenmanparker
"Matthew, please forgive me for mentioning that you would have gotten more interest and responses if the title of your thread were not so mysterious. Some folks will read a post like that. Others just say, "Meh!" and move on. It really helps to let people know what the subject of your inquiry is if you want them to tune in and respond."

i am sorry i tried to edit the title and could not change it. sorry for being confusing. I was having a brain burp and could not think of what to write as a title. thank you all for your responses especially those who own the bike.
Old 12-01-15, 08:29 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
soo...

IMO, that is nice of you to take the time to give that advice.

Actually I read this thread because I was intrigued by the apparent introductory comment (? to a rant). If it was titled as a direct question about bike comparisons, I would have have said the Boston, or my Michiganian equivalent of "Meh," something like "Who cares?."

Actually, I always thought “Meh” was a Mid-Atlantic regionalism, but I note you post from Houston TX.
Universality of the internet. I learned it here.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-01-15, 11:38 AM
mattave

Bikes: Norco Threshold Carbon 105, Foundry Tomahawk B3, FitWell Degroot III, Gravity Vanquish, Dawes SST

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was actually looking at this bike too, but found another great deal here: 2015 DeGroot III sand

Full Ultegra (including brakes!) for $889, if you're into Alu.
Old 12-01-15, 11:46 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mattave
I was actually looking at this bike too, but found another great deal here: 2015 DeGroot III sand

Full Ultegra (including brakes!) for $889, if you're into Alu.
Considering that even a cheap UK sourced Ultegra groupset online costs around $600, that's a really good deal.
Old 12-01-15, 11:48 AM
mattave

Bikes: Norco Threshold Carbon 105, Foundry Tomahawk B3, FitWell Degroot III, Gravity Vanquish, Dawes SST

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
Considering that even a cheap UK sourced Ultegra groupset online costs around $600, that's a really good deal.
That's pretty much why I pulled the trigger. If the bike falls apart I'll at least have some good components to move over!
Old 12-01-15, 11:49 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

@mattave that is a good looking deal but the bike is an awful color.
Old 12-01-15, 11:56 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mattave
That's pretty much why I pulled the trigger. If the bike falls apart I'll at least have some good components to move over!
I see that their Salsa Vaya knockoff (the Fahrlander) can be had for super cheap as well. Sadly they don't have the 105-level on in my size.
Old 12-01-15, 11:57 AM
mattave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
@mattave that is a good looking deal but the bike is an awful color.
To each his own. I actually don't mind it, but the steath carbon look of the Nashbar is pretty classy. But Ultegra cranks will always look better than FSA
Old 12-01-15, 12:38 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

@mattave that is correct to each his own. I like the classy no logo look of the nashbar and I figure you are right about the Ultegra looking better too. I will contintue to ride my Scott unless the percentage changes any more!