Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Old 05-26-19, 08:22 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 872 Posts
Took the LHT out this afternoon, not to the leafy green exurbs, but down to Harvard Square, onto the closed-to-auto-traffic Memorial Drive, and on down the North bank of the Charles River. Fooled around in Charlestown Navy Yard for awhile, then rode home to dinner on Cambridge Street, Beacon Street, Somerville Ave., and so on through Davis Square and back on the Somerville Community Path, passable despite the signs, and a little snippet of the Minuteman from Alewife, 18 miles through Arlington, Cambridge, Charlestown, and Somerville.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 05-30-19 at 03:04 PM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 05-27-19, 07:00 PM
rholland1951

Hopped on the LHT and rode East.

Lots of urban hill climbing, pothole dodging, and traffic interaction in Medford, Malden, and Melrose on this one, pleased to report that the legs still work.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 05-28-19 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-28-19, 09:37 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Somerville on Memorial Day:

Ambiguously open Somerville Community Path (the signs said no, but the barriers were half open so yes?):

OK, now feeling less bad about ignoring the signs, these barriers say open?:

Love the new tarmac. (Also the lefty on the kick scooter.):

Well, on *this* side much less ambiguous. Signs say no, and so do the barriers, so was it open or closed for the holiday? Maybe?:

Last shot of the Somerville Community Path. Google says this is part of the Somerville Community Path, but there is no "green line" through it. But google also says that there is a bike path through Statue Park, which the no bike stencils say oh no it isn't. And there's also a no bikes stencil next to the Davis/College Ave bus stop along with DO NOT ENTER, MBTA BUSES ONLY.

So, investigated the ambiguous sidewalk (with yellow dotted line), and found a dismount sign near NGP VAN. So, seems like you CAN walk your bike through (there's tons of bike parking at both sides of the the bus way):

Cedar Street, buffered bike lane on one side of the street:

But Mossland construction patch has obliterated half of the bike box. They were mostly ignored before the construction, now they are simply ignored:

The forever under construction Beacon Street is still under construction, so bear right at at Bicycle Belle onto Oxford Street (and into Cambridge) for a quiet alternative route down hill:

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 05-28-19 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-28-19, 09:48 AM
mr_bill

Cambridge into Boston on Memorial Day:

The Weeks Footbridge was busy. Trying my best not to photobomb the grads:

Goslings near the BU Bridge nearly camo in the mottled shadows (no goslings were hurt in the taking of this picture):

I did not know Fiedler is captain of the Bruins:

Frances Appleton Pedestrian Bridge (there are no dismount signs, so I didn't dismount):

Heading back to Cambridge on the Spouse of Frances Appleton's Bridge:

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 05-28-19, 09:57 AM
mr_bill

Cambridge to Arlington:

Stata Center on Vassar Street:

Construction on Mass Ave:

Utility cuts in East Arlington will probably lead to very bad things next winter:

Old school segment of Mass Ave in Arlington Center:

Minuteman (Nobody ever goes there. It's too crowded.):

This tourist trolley on Summer Street still surprises me every time:

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 05-30-19, 09:01 PM
rholland1951

The only ride I took today was around the block, just a little testing on the new front tire and brake I spent yesterday's rainy day installing on the old Rivendell Rambouillet I found at Bikes Not Bombs late last year. There's more to do, and I suspect mission creep may set in... The bike has a good feel, and should reward the effort.

rod
Old 05-31-19, 07:05 PM
rholland1951

Took the Trucker DeLuxe out of the garage and rode East.

Medford Square bustles per Friday usual.

Anyone need a previously-owned helix? Scrapper's delight on Pleasant Street, Medford.

Prettiest Cadillac in Medford.

Malden: the quick and the dead meet on the Northern Strand at Bell Rock Cemetery.

I had some extra time, and it occurred to me that I hadn't ridden the Mystic River Reservation trails network in Medford for several years, so off I went. Here's a ride-through graffiti gallery under the Mystic Valley Parkway bridge.

Observation tower on the lawn at Torbert MacDonald Park, and a damn fine dog.

Commuting, generating, pumping, gambling... nah, gone fishing.

Mystic chimes, siblings to the ones in the DeCordova sculpture park.

This lovely birch grove has grown considerably since the last time I rode this way.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 06-01-19 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-01-19, 07:00 AM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Cambridge to Arlington:

Stata Center on Vassar Street:

-mr. bill
The combination of the handlebar camera's barrel distortion and the Stata Center's whimsy is a very happy accident, indeed!

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 06-01-19 at 08:19 AM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 06-01-19, 08:47 AM
Trocadile

Bikes: Reynolds 853 hardtail MTB; Titanium mini velo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 15 Posts
Just about perfect conditions this morning. Took my minivelo on an old reliable loop through Weston, Waltham, Lincoln, Wayland, and Sudbury (bridge at Wayland-Sudbury line pictured). As I was finishing up, coming into Weston Center, I looked down from Concord Rd. and saw the MCRT-Wayside trail which I've never been on. Gave it a spin and - damn - if you like your pavement smooth and straight and lightly used (even on a gorgeous Saturday morning), there's nothing else quite like it around here.

Likes For Trocadile:
Old 06-01-19, 09:24 AM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by Trocadile
... coming into Weston Center, I looked down from Concord Rd. and saw the MCRT-Wayside trail which I've never been on. Gave it a spin and - damn - if you like your pavement smooth and straight and lightly used (even on a gorgeous Saturday morning), there's nothing else quite like it around here.

They paved it!?! That's wonderful! Never thought Weston would get around to that...

rod
Old 06-01-19, 12:23 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Just about perfect conditions this morning. Took my minivelo on an old reliable loop through Weston, Waltham, Lincoln, Wayland, and Sudbury (bridge at Wayland-Sudbury line pictured).

As I was finishing up, coming into Weston Center, I looked down from Concord Rd. and saw the MCRT-Wayside trail which I've never been on. Gave it a spin and - damn - if you like your pavement smooth and straight and lightly used (even on a gorgeous Saturday morning), there's nothing else quite like it around here.
Originally Posted by rholland1951
They paved it!?! That's wonderful! Never thought Weston would get around to that...

rod
Thanks for that post Trocadile. I have never heard of that trail. Do you or rholland1951 have any other information, like access points and road surfaces, especially paved segments.

Waltham / Weston for me from Kenmore Square is a gateway to gorgeous sub- and exurban cycling, but Rte 20 is a deterrent, as described on this recent thread, "Winding Country Road or 50 mph Highway with Shoulder?”
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
least favorite section of my old commute (2009-10) on Route 20, Wayland, MA. (aka Boston Post Rd between Concord Rd & Landham Rd) I affectionately nicknamed "a kill zone". I was always so glad to get to the turnoff after the descent.
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Funny, I just road that stretch of 20 through Wayland for the first time going from Marlborough to Watertown last Saturday, and I didn't think it was that bad, but like you say, it wasn't at rush hour on a weekday.

I usually go a little out of my way to take 117 for the same leg of a century, but 20 was definitely faster for me.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I had asked jppe [on the final leg of his cross-country ride from Oregon on Rte 20] if he wanted to continue his journey all the way down Rte 20, but I recommended the [alternative] itinerary described above.
The best segment of a favorite favorite ride of mine does begin on Rte 20.
FYA, a particularly preferred route from the Western to Metrowest sectors is Rice Rd in Wayland that starts at Rte 20 (as Pinebrook Rd), and proceeds through some exurban farmland, then crosses Rte 30 as Oak St in Natick, mostly residential. Then cross Rte 9 at a traffic light through some more suburban residential; turn left at Bacon St until it ends at Rte 135 (Central St) in Wellesley.

A very short distance from Bacon to the left (West) is the quiet, beautiful forested Pond St that goes to Rte 16, a busy but residential road, then on to South Natick, Sherborn and Dover. A particularly favorite ride of mine.
PS: For some reason today the MENTION function of the BB codes blanks out the name rather than MENTIONING it.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-01-19 at 01:20 PM. Reason: added PS
Old 06-01-19, 01:57 PM
rholland1951

This is the Weston segment of the Mass Central Rail Tail, a LONG trail to be built on the abandoned road bed of the old Mass Central Railroad, which was knocked out by the 1938 hurricane and never restored to service. A previous effort was known as the Wayside Rail Trail.

By way of reference, here's a link to a 2014 posting detailing my previous encounter with this trail, in its unimproved state. There's a little blood after the first jump.

A bit of gloomy history dealing with Weston scuttling its segment of the proposed Wayside Rail Trail can be found here.

A cheerful (but vague) newspaper article about the forthcoming grand opening can be found here.

A FAQ about the trail from the Town of Weston can be found here.

After Weston rejected the original Wayside Trail in 1997, they built a physical barrier at Conant Street to discourage informal use. That's being (or has been) removed. Plus ça change...

Time to go ride it.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 06-01-19 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-01-19, 02:02 PM
Trocadile

Do you or rholland1951 have any other information, like access points and road surfaces, especially paved segments.
If somebody doesn't beat me to it, I'll go back and take more pictures and note more details. If you look at Google Maps you can see the trail as a grey line. I accessed it by taking the first right off Concord Rd., coming from Rte. 20 (don't think the road had a name). I traveled west and tootled along for about three miles. I passed a rough parking area, maybe at Plain Rd. (?), and the paved portion continued on, getting close to Wayland Center. Coming back the other way, I passed where I joined near Concord Rd. and continued east to where the trail is interrupted by the raised Conant Road. I did the cyclo-cross thing up a dirt trail and saw that there was more paved trail on the other side, heading toward Church St. According to this: https://patch.com/massachusetts/west...t-construction, work will begin this week to open the underpass, and the path continues east to the Waltham line. I didn't have time to sample the trail east of Conant, but it sounds like it's paved through Weston. According to this: https://waltham.wickedlocal.com/news...ide-rail-trail, Waltham may begin construction sometime this year on it's portion, which, as you suggest, would be huge for access to the west. The article mentions 1265 Main St. to Beaver as the route, which would effectively bypass the worst of Waltham Center.

edit: just read one of the links provided by Rod and it may be that the rough parking I passed was at Warren Ave./Gun Club Lane.

Last edited by Trocadile; 06-01-19 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-01-19, 02:05 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Thanks for those informative replies, @Trocadile and @rholland1951. I look forward to my own investigation. Unfortunately your names are still unmentionable.
(from a now-closed thread) I think a quote or mention is as much of a kudo as a LIKE, since it is conspicuous and is viewed by a wider audience than just the author and those who actually view the LIKED post.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-01-19 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-02-19, 07:24 AM
rholland1951

Just about perfect conditions this morning. Took my minivelo on an old reliable loop through Weston, Waltham, Lincoln, Wayland, and Sudbury (bridge at Wayland-Sudbury line pictured). ...

Trocadile,

With all the excitement about MCRT-Wayside that your post engendered, the minivelo that you rode it on went unremarked. That's an interesting class of bicycle, could you say more about yours? Who made it, what's it made of, what's its wheel size, how does it ride, what size frame would you normally ride in an unminivelo, when do you find yourself reaching for this bike? It inspires curiosity.

rod
Old 06-02-19, 09:28 AM
Trocadile

Who made it, what's it made of, what's its wheel size, how does it ride, what size frame would you normally ride in an unminivelo, when do you find yourself reaching for this bike? It inspires curiosity.
Thanks for your interest, Rod. Answering your questions, out of order: I built it up this winter and it is now my principal fair-weather road bike. Less than a thousand miles on it, so still in the honeymoon period, but I love it and plan to grow old with it (well, even older). Frame, fork, seatpost and handlebar are titanium. Frame and fork come from Titanproduct (aka Titancycles) in China. Frame is the same as a bike produced by Tyrell in Japan - not sure if Titan "borrowed" the design or if they make the frames for Tyrell. I'm using 451 wheels on it. Rides great - I'm not sure how much of the comfort is due to the titanium, or the geometry, or the fact that at age 62 I know how to make a bike comfortable for myself. Went with this frame partly because it's got a longer top tube and wheelbase than most small-wheel bikes (I'm 6'1"). Of my other two bikes, one is another small-wheeler (406 size folder) and a 559 MTB. Effective top tube of the MTB is maybe an inch longer than the minivelo (23" vs. 22"). As I said, minivelo is now my road bike, MTB is off-road bike (well, duh) as well as winter road bike since I have a wheelset with studs, and the folder is for when I need a folder (well, duh) and for my trainer.
Old 06-02-19, 10:49 AM
rholland1951

Thanks for your interest, Rod. Answering your questions, out of order: I built it up this winter and it is now my principal fair-weather road bike. Less than a thousand miles on it, so still in the honeymoon period, but I love it and plan to grow old with it (well, even older). Frame, fork, seatpost and handlebar are titanium. Frame and fork come from Titanproduct (aka Titancycles) in China. Frame is the same as a bike produced by Tyrell in Japan - not sure if Titan "borrowed" the design or if they make the frames for Tyrell. I'm using 451 wheels on it. Rides great - I'm not sure how much of the comfort is due to the titanium, or the geometry, or the fact that at age 62 I know how to make a bike comfortable for myself. Went with this frame partly because it's got a longer top tube and wheelbase than most small-wheel bikes (I'm 6'1"). Of my other two bikes, one is another small-wheeler (406 size folder) and a 559 MTB. Effective top tube of the MTB is maybe an inch longer than the minivelo (23" vs. 22"). As I said, minivelo is now my road bike, MTB is off-road bike (well, duh) as well as winter road bike since I have a wheelset with studs, and the folder is for when I need a folder (well, duh) and for my trainer.
Thanks!

rod
Old 06-02-19, 02:46 PM
bike_tom

Bikes: 2022 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2014 Cannondale Trail SL1, 1983 Fuji Royale II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 235 Posts
On my way to Concord today, I noticed a portable electronic sign on the MM at Season's Four, directly across from the ghost bike (in the shade under the tree on the left.) I took a movie, but it did not capture the scrolling image on the sign well, so here's a snapshot:

It said things like, "Please be courteous, keep to the right, sign when passing". All good reminders!

A couple of weeks ago I posted a picture of the Lexington visitor center on the MM closed for renovations. I wondered how major a renovation it was going to be. Well, I passed by there today - apparently pretty major:

On the return trip on the Reformatory Trail, I decided to do the short detour over to Sleep Hollow Cemetery. It's about a 1/4 mile each way. There's a granite marker at the trail entrance:

Here's a view from the cemetery cul-de-sac looking back toward the trail:

And looking into the cemetery:

I had never seen another cyclist on this side trail before - today I saw two. In fact, the Reformatory trail itself was busier than I have ever seen it before, even busier than the Bedford section of the MM. Overall, it was a pleasant 28 mile round trip from E. Arlington.
Likes For bike_tom:
Old 06-03-19, 08:29 PM
rholland1951

Rolled up to Lexington Center on the Rawland before dinner, a cool and breezy evening ride.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 06-04-19 at 07:51 AM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 06-04-19, 08:06 AM
mr_bill

From Saturday:

Somerville Community Path unambiguously open:

Semi-random streets:

Albion St, Somerville:

Kirkland St, Cambridge:

Quincy St, Cambridge:

Arrow St, Cambridge:

Mass Ave, Cambridge (Lots of people walking in the bike lane):

Mass Ave, Cambridge (Lots of great jazz at the Riverfest):

Whittemore Park, Arlington (Lots of bikes parked for the beer garden):

-mr. bill
Old 06-04-19, 10:16 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
This lovely birch grove has grown considerably since the last time I rode this way.

rod
That looks cool, where's that? I only know of the DeCordova museum, not the sculpture park...
Old 06-04-19, 10:26 AM
autonomy

I've ridden more miles this weekend than I have in the past month. It's been great. Sooooo many cyclists out there of all kinds!

The discussion about the Mass Central trail is timely. I've been seeing articles about it and glad to hear that it's progressing. I've been wondering about its condition after doing a little bit of research. I haven't seen evidence of people riding it much past Wayland
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26418962
https://www.strava.com/activities/2341582619
Old 06-04-19, 11:28 AM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by autonomy
That looks cool, where's that? I only know of the DeCordova museum, not the sculpture park...
It's towards the east end of the Mystic River State Reservation park in Medford, on one of the several tracks marked "River Path" on the Google map, a bit before you reach the Fellsway. Here's a bit of the map, with a somewhat-too-discreet pin marking the approximate location of the birch grove, at least in my memory.

The DeCordova Sculpture Park is everything on the DeCordova grounds that isn't under a roof.

rod
Old 06-04-19, 08:35 PM
rholland1951

Took the LHT on a 28-mile circuit through Arlington, Lexington, Bedford, Concord, and Lincoln, following the Minuteman and Reformatory Branch outbound, returning via Monument Street, Lexington Road (Concord), Old Bedford Road (Concord), Virginia Road, Old Bedford Road (Lincoln), Hanscom Drive, Route 2A, Mill Street, Lexington Road (Lincoln), Lincoln Street (Lexington), Middle Street, Marrett Road, Mass. Ave., Maple Street, and then the Minuteman and home. I didn't start until 4:30, and focused on the riding, making good time as the bicycle worked its magic, translating pedal strokes into a succession of distinct places. Lovely day, milky sky, the temperature benignly balanced between warm and cool, enough breeze to notice, lots of other cyclists. Numerous photographs didn't get taken (with two exceptions, below), in favor of making time, and just drifted by as vagrant sense impressions that must be conveyed by word-pictures, or not at all. Of these, the best was the fisher that scampered across the Kiln Brook bridge on the Minuteman at Tophet Swamp, a beautiful animal that nimbly crossed the bridge on its lower rail, and disappeared.

Hanscom Field, seen from Virginia Road. I'm a 20th Century kid at heart, and have a soft spot in my head for aircraft of any sort.

The mudflats of Cambridge Reservoir, tastefully concealed by enough drinking water to horrify W.C. Fields.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 06-05-19 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-05-19, 10:47 AM
autonomy

Took the LHT on a 28-mile circuit through Arlington, Lexington, Bedford, Concord, and Lincoln, following the Minuteman and Reformatory Branch outbound, returning via Monument Street, Lexington Road (Concord), Old Bedford Road (Concord), Virginia Road, Old Bedford Road (Lincoln), Hanscom Drive, Route 2A, Mill Street, Lexington Road (Lincoln), Lincoln Street (Lexington), Middle Street, Marrett Road, Mass. Ave., Maple Street, and then the Minuteman and home. I didn't start until 4:30, and focused on the riding, making good time as the bicycle worked its magic, translating pedal strokes into a succession of distinct places. Lovely day, milky sky, the temperature benignly balanced between warm and cool, enough breeze to notice, lots of other cyclists. Numerous photographs didn't get taken (with two exceptions, below), in favor of making time, and just drifted by as vagrant sense impressions that must be conveyed by word-pictures, or not at all. Of these, the best was the fisher that scampered across the Kiln Brook bridge on the Minuteman at Tophet Swamp, a beautiful animal that nimbly crossed the bridge on its lower rail, and disappeared.

Hanscom Field, seen from Virginia Road. I'm a 20th Century kid at heart, and have a soft spot in my head for aircraft of any sort.

The mudflats of Cambridge Reservoir, tastefully concealed by enough drinking water to horrify W.C. Fields.

rod
Ha! Good places to ride, aren't they? I took pictures of the same spots on this past foggy Sunday morning

It's towards the east end of the Mystic River State Reservation park in Medford, on one of the several tracks marked "River Path" on the Google map, a bit before you reach the Fellsway. Here's a bit of the map, with a somewhat-too-discreet pin marking the approximate location of the birch grove, at least in my memory.

The DeCordova Sculpture Park is everything on the DeCordova grounds that isn't under a roof.

rod
Thanks. I always thought of going that way but the traffic always made it seem like it wasn't worth it. I've also been by DeCordova a million times but never on the grounds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.