Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

How to deal with toe-overlap on switchbacks?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-20, 02:31 PM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

Hey everyone -

So I just got my first gravel bike (Scott Speedster Gravel 30 in 54cm (same size as my road bike) with 700x35 G-Schwalbe AllRounders) this week and I've done a few rides with it. There are a few trails near me that have some really tight switchbacks. I noticed that, especially going uphill, my toe hits my tire when turning at low speeds. It didn't happen as much downhill, but maybe once or twice.

How do I go about dealing with this? Is it due to cleat set-up? Shoes? (I'm using some old road shoes for now - don't have MTB/CX shoes) Technique?

Thanks!
Old 10-25-20, 03:02 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Go faster! Just kidding. I also have some TO on my 700c gravel bike (my 650B one is way better in that regard). Mine's a size 50 so it's pretty inevitable. Probably 70% of my riding is singletrack like you describe. It's just gotten kind of subconscious for me now--I unconsciously adjust tire to pedal relationship as much as one can at least(sometimes it's simply unavoidable). I expect you'll just adjust mentally the more you ride those tight sections. I ride flat pedals with pins and mtb shoes so I can move my feet around but honestly I don't really do that much in this case.
Likes For pbass:
Old 10-25-20, 03:24 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
You can try and push your cleats up more towards your toes. And get used to an occasional contact. My touring bike has toe overlap and I have just become used to it.
Old 10-25-20, 03:25 PM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Originally Posted by pbass
Go faster! Just kidding. I also have some TO on my 700c gravel bike (my 650B one is way better in that regard). Mine's a size 50 so it's pretty inevitable. Probably 70% of my riding is singletrack like you describe. It's just gotten kind of subconscious for me now--I unconsciously adjust tire to pedal relationship as much as one can at least(sometimes it's simply unavoidable). I expect you'll just adjust mentally the more you ride those tight sections. I ride flat pedals with pins and mtb shoes so I can move my feet around but honestly I don't really do that much in this case.
Haha yeah it seems like going faster would solve a lot of issues with cycling! I was thinking that maybe trying to carry more speed into the corner would allow me to coast through the turn but the one specific turn I'm thinking about is pretty steep on both entry and exit so idk if that would work. I might go out there later today to give it a shot though. On downhill I don't think this would be as much of an issue as I can just leave my feet at 12 & 6 a la road descending and avoid the tire all together. Or maybe I just need to focus on taking the turn a little wider to avoid having to turn at such a steep angle?
Old 10-25-20, 03:27 PM
speedyspaghetti

Originally Posted by dwmckee
You can try and push your cleats up more towards your toes. And get used to an occasional contact. My touring bike has toe overlap and I have just become used to it.
The cleats are almost maxed out currently. I shifted them this morning to check but I still barely get a touch with the current setup. Thankfully, the cleat position is still comfortable - I did a 3 mile gravel climb at 8.5% average and I didn't notice any hot spots. Do you know if MTB shoes would be better than the old road shoes I'm using now? Are road shoes maybe more "pointy?"
Likes For speedyspaghetti:
Old 10-25-20, 04:08 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by speedyspaghetti
The cleats are almost maxed out currently. I shifted them this morning to check but I still barely get a touch with the current setup. Thankfully, the cleat position is still comfortable - I did a 3 mile gravel climb at 8.5% average and I didn't notice any hot spots. Do you know if MTB shoes would be better than the old road shoes I'm using now? Are road shoes maybe more "pointy?"
I can't speak to clipless, but as I mention I use flats w Five Ten MTB shoes, and I still don't consciously adjust my feet to avoid TO, even though I can. I'm still just going for optimal foot position in regards to comfort, control, power. If anything, sometimes climbing I might move my feet forward a teeny bit, depending on the circumstances.
Old 10-25-20, 05:45 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Switch to 650x48
Old 10-25-20, 05:57 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I think MTB shore are more popular on gravel bikes, but I'd say the 'hot spot' issue is more related to the specific shoe than the shoe type.
Old 10-25-20, 06:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,489 Times in 4,189 Posts
I learned cleat position is based on power and comfort. Its placed where the rider can push most effectively while also not cresting knee pain.
Admittedly, I've never tested different cleat positions since where I have mine works. Is it really a non-issue to move the cleat around?
Old 10-25-20, 07:09 PM
speedyspaghetti

Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Ride more. Seriously.

You'll eventually learn where you are in your pedal stroke and learn to ratchet to prevent overlap.
Is there some sort of specific drill/training you would recommend? Or is there a better technique to uphill tight switchbacks I should be practicing? Admittedly, my lines aren't very/smooth, but I'm not sure what I should be practicing.
Old 10-25-20, 07:10 PM
speedyspaghetti

I think MTB shore are more popular on gravel bikes, but I'd say the 'hot spot' issue is more related to the specific shoe than the shoe type.
Is one more "pointed" than the other? I ask because it's literally just the tippy tippy top of my toe that touches the tire on my road shoes.
Old 10-25-20, 08:17 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
I've a 54cm road bike that I use on gravel with a bit of toe strike; its the only bike I have with 170mm cranks (normally 172.5-175), which helps minimize the contact to a tolerable rub. YMMV. Also, smaller tire helps, but I run the fattest I can squeeze in and don't like going that route.
Old 10-25-20, 08:20 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
How much to overlap do you have.. ? if it's not that much toe overlap you can drop your heal in the back , which will give you more clearance, also there's the one where you could just pedal with one foot, depending on which side you're turning.
Likes For rossiny:
Old 10-26-20, 06:41 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
It's geometry. One of the things I like about my Revolt is that it has a longer front center, which makes it more stable, and as a bonus, has no toe overlap, even with big tires.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 10-26-20, 05:00 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
I noticed more contact with toe clips than clipless pedals. But I prefer toe clips on around town bikes than clipless.
Old 10-26-20, 08:41 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Is it really a non-issue to move the cleat around?
It has fit consequences. The most immediately obvious is that it has a dramatic impact on leg extension (so changes to the fore-aft cleat position tend to require simultaneously changing saddle height), but it also changes how your leg has to brace itself for pedaling force. For instance, a farther-forward cleat tends to put more stress on the calf and heel because in increases the length of the "foot" lever; I gave myself an achilles tendon overuse injury last summer because my cleats were too far forward, it kept me almost totally off the bike for a couple of months.
Old 10-26-20, 09:00 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,489 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
It has fit consequences. The most immediately obvious is that it has a dramatic impact on leg extension (so changes to the fore-aft cleat position tend to require simultaneously changing saddle height), but it also changes how your leg has to brace itself for pedaling force. For instance, a farther-forward cleat tends to put more stress on the calf and heel because in increases the length of the "foot" lever; I gave myself an achilles tendon overuse injury last summer because my cleats were too far forward, it kept me almost totally off the bike for a couple of months.
Cool, I figured cleat position mattered for comfort. It was a surprise to see moving the cleat as a solution for toe overlap.
Old 10-27-20, 10:24 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Ride more. Seriously.

You'll eventually learn where you are in your pedal stroke and learn to ratchet to prevent overlap.
^ This

My bike has toe overlap but years of trail riding makes my sense of where I am in my pedal stroke something I don't have to think about. I always keep the outside pedal low and behind the bottom bracket in tight corners. Just pay attention, form some habits, and after a while it becomes second nature.

I personally would not adjust your cleat position to escape toe overlap and make sure your cleats are set up for your leg extension and pedal stroke.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 10-27-20, 02:58 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I don't see how cleat position, adjusted for minimal toe overlap, is going to hurt anything. Yeah, you may have to change your seat height, but that's not a showstopper. I have my cleats all the way forward so that the pedal spindle is under the ball of my foot. I maximize power and minimize toe overlap.

But for the most part, I'm going too fast to get toe overlap (you just can't get that large a steering angle at speed). I do get some toe overlap on the tight turns of a CX race if I have a 700x54mm tire, but I just keep pedaling because it doesn't really impact anything under strong power.

How tall are you? You could move your cleats, increase the rake of your fork (if you don't mind more agile steering), make sure you have small shoes, go to tires with a smaller diameter. 650b wheel is probably the most effective mechanical change (if you don't mind the lower BB). If its a slow speed problem for ya, ratcheting the pedals, or just coasting through tight turns are two techniques that will work. But, if you are carrying your momentum and carving a smooth turn, you aren't going to get those steering angles unless it is a really slow tight CX type turn.
Old 10-28-20, 11:04 AM
speedyspaghetti

Originally Posted by chas58
I don't see how cleat position, adjusted for minimal toe overlap, is going to hurt anything. Yeah, you may have to change your seat height, but that's not a showstopper. I have my cleats all the way forward so that the pedal spindle is under the ball of my foot. I maximize power and minimize toe overlap.

But for the most part, I'm going too fast to get toe overlap (you just can't get that large a steering angle at speed). I do get some toe overlap on the tight turns of a CX race if I have a 700x54mm tire, but I just keep pedaling because it doesn't really impact anything under strong power.

How tall are you? You could move your cleats, increase the rake of your fork (if you don't mind more agile steering), make sure you have small shoes, go to tires with a smaller diameter. 650b wheel is probably the most effective mechanical change (if you don't mind the lower BB). If its a slow speed problem for ya, ratcheting the pedals, or just coasting through tight turns are two techniques that will work. But, if you are carrying your momentum and carving a smooth turn, you aren't going to get those steering angles unless it is a really slow tight CX type turn.
I'm about 5'9. I was using some hybrid road/mtb shoes but I just bought some MTB specific shoes which should allow a bit better cleat adjustment. I'll take a video of the turn next time I go ride it - it's really a non-issue on 98% of the rides I do, it's just these two turns on one of my favorite trails. I agree that I definitely need to work on skill / technique more. I think my line is also messy, resulting in me having to turn the bars at a much steeper angle. It's a short, almost 180 degree switchback that enters gradual and exits steep.
Old 10-28-20, 11:20 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
N+1 was my answer to toe overlap.

My Trek Madone had overlap that caused me to have enough low speed U-turning falls that the next bike I got had to have zero overlap, or it was a deal breaker. The Madone is now relegated to the trainer where it exhibits zero toe overlap.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 10-28-20, 02:13 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Usually, toe overlap only occurs at a very specific point in the pedal revolution and a very specific point in the wheel's steering arc. Learn where that point is and practice getting your toes out of the way with a small backpedal. Cleats should be positioned to place the foot on the pedal in relation to your knees, not your front wheel.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 10-28-20, 02:21 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Usually, toe overlap only occurs at a very specific point in the pedal revolution and a very specific point in the steering arc. Learn where that point is and practice getting your toes out of the way with a small backpedal. Cleats should be positioned to place the foot on the pedal in relation to your knees, not your front wheel.
This is the point I was trying to make. Once you develop the technique, toe overlap becomes a non-issue. I feel that your cleat position (or anything when it comes to your bike fit) should not be compromised because of lack of technique.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 10-28-20, 02:32 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Right tool for the job. Get a different bike. Since when do CX races allow 54mm tires?
Old 10-29-20, 08:49 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by speedyspaghetti
I'm about 5'9. I was using some hybrid road/mtb shoes but I just bought some MTB specific shoes which should allow a bit better cleat adjustment. I'll take a video of the turn next time I go ride it - it's really a non-issue on 98% of the rides I do, it's just these two turns on one of my favorite trails. I agree that I definitely need to work on skill / technique more. I think my line is also messy, resulting in me having to turn the bars at a much steeper angle. It's a short, almost 180 degree switchback that enters gradual and exits steep.
You are my size.
Yep, a 180 degree uphill turn is the type where you will have that problem.

I have a dozen bikes - but the only time I get toe overlap is with my track bike (which is designed to only go in a straight line), and when I put 54mm tires on my CX bike that is designed around 33mm tires. But I put my pedal spindle under the ball of my foot, so the cleat is basically as far forward as it will go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.