Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Just Acquired - ‘74 Masi Gran Criterium (mostly, if not all, original condition)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Just Acquired - ‘74 Masi Gran Criterium (mostly, if not all, original condition)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-20, 05:26 PM
majmt 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 1,101 Times in 327 Posts
Updated - ‘74 Masi Gran Criterium (mostly, if not all, original condition)

I just picked up this beautiful GC off of eBay (from a great seller BTW) and would greatly appreciate any insight anyone would care to offer. I believe it only had one owner and was kept indoors. Everything looks original but there are a few minor deviations from what I’ve read in other threads (handlebar tape color, plugs, cable ends etc.) Now that I can finally post photos after 7 years as a forum member, I hope that I’m not overdoing it. The first group of photos (in this post) were part of the auction listing and the last ones (in a following post) are some detailed shots that I just took.

I would like to experience the ride from time to time after a refresh. As I mentioned in another thread I exhumed, I plan to build up another set of wheels and preserve the originals. Suggestions? Also, I plan to replace and preserve the seat, pedals, brake pads, jockey wheels and whatever else to make it rideable; however, I want to make sure that I can always return it back to the original set-up.

I like the tire keeper and valve adaptor the original owner attached under the seat. I remember seeing those wire thingies hanging over the tires from the brake mounts back in the day but I’m not sure exactly how they would actually do anything. Also note the “motorcycle” style brake cable routing. All in all, this is way nicer than I ever expected - it looks more like a new bike rather than a “time capsule.” I would love to learn more about it from the knowledgable members here.

Last edited by majmt; 06-29-21 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-25-20, 05:29 PM
majmt 

More photos.

Last edited by majmt; 10-25-20 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-25-20, 05:32 PM
majmt 

More photos

Old 10-25-20, 05:35 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Very nice.

That front tire saver is on backwards, you never want to see one grab the tire and wad up under the brake/crown.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-25-20, 05:38 PM
majmt 

Originally Posted by merziac
Very nice.

That front tire saver is on backwards, you never want to see one grab the tire and wad up under the brake/crown.
I was wondering about that.
Old 10-25-20, 05:53 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by majmt
I was wondering about that.
They will "flick" many little sharp bits out of the tire before they cay go around and be pushed in.

No way to over do it with this bike, post away and tell us all you can, pics, bike and story FTW.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-25-20, 06:30 PM
majmt 

They will "flick" many little sharp bits out of the tire before they cay go around and be pushed in.

No way to over do it with this bike, post away and tell us all you can, pics, bike and story FTW.
This about all I know:
The the seller was asked by relatives to help clear out the residence of the deceased original owner who was an engineer (in the Bay Area I believe.) He also had an impressive collection of Hasselblad and Nikon photo gear and darkroom equipment as well as very nice high-end hi-fi gear according to the seller. Really sounds like someone I would love to have met - so there’s another reason to do my best to conserve this bike. The seller told me that there was another bike in the same room as where he found this one but it looked like a “Sears” bike to him and showed much more use so he left it. I wonder if the other bike was a commuter/trainer and this one was just used to go to church on Sundays and parades. It really is in as fine condition as one could reasonably expect. This bike could really shine - all of the schmutz that you can see in the photos (even on the BB) is easily wiped off.
Old 10-25-20, 07:04 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Ditch the front tire saver- there really is not enough room to flip it around.
in general tire savers in my view are for the rear if at all- one can steer clear often of debris but the rear wheel “follows” and will catch the junk most often.
i think a gloved hand is better.

you know of course this is a Carlsbad Masi.
after Falerio went home but Mario was running the shop- probably he brazed the fork.
buy American, Buy a Masi
original pump, original toe straps and pedals.
i would exchange the seat if it is a Suede #2 ( sticker underneath) Those matt down very fast and until fully matted down look meh.
missing are the little cuffs crimped flat and painted yellow for the cables, the top tube cable clip fasteners also got dabs of yellow paint. And the excess portion of the fastener snipped off.
wheels are probably original, maybe the tires, most came with Clement Criterium Seta 250’s.
don't see the ALE masi waterbottle, all white.
Original bar tape was yellow or white cloth, original plugs were Hunt-Wilde white molded vinyl. The American contribution.
replacement jockey wheels are around.
original freewheel and chain were Everest.

very good example of a near original bike.
great color.
has the original pump.
lose the reflector.
if you want to o be seen place a flashing LED light on the spare tire pouch.

I have four Carlsbad bikes.

things I don’t worry about-
i use Cinelli bar plugs
i have Martano wheels and clinchers
most have Binda Extra straps
( I did rivet them as shown like your bike)
later Campag lined housing- in grey.
Likes For repechage:
Old 10-25-20, 07:06 PM
repechage

Check the integrity of the tire adhesive.
Likes For repechage:
Old 10-25-20, 07:09 PM
repechage

Get some grease between the shift cables and the painted guides!
grease the cable at the stainless housing too.

repack all bearings
Likes For repechage:
Old 10-25-20, 09:16 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
That's quite a time capsule. I haven't seen one that mint since they were making them new. Was this stored in a freezer? Those Del Mondo's look mint. Normally I wouldn't ride vintage tires, but silk tends to hold up and those look well preserved, at least enough to try them out around the block. Do they still hold air? Might need to be re-tubed.

If you want to build a set of new wheels, I'd suggest sticking with sew ups, but something with ferrules at a reasonable training weight. For example Mavic Championnat du Monde. You'll never get the full experience with clinchers IMHO.

I concur on losing the tire savers and reflector. Also, the rear wheel is all the way forward. It's a bit extreme. I'd adjust the adjusters to place the axle more in the middle of the dropout.
Old 10-25-20, 10:16 PM
merziac

Somebody needs to investigate to find out who clamped that reflector onto the seat stay and administer the proper amount of justice.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-25-20, 10:47 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Somebody needs to investigate to find out who clamped that reflector onto the seat stay and administer the proper amount of justice.
I see a rubber pad. Someone did their due diligence installing it and it'll probably come off without issue. The original owner likely put too much belief in the 1977 CPSC reflector mandates when they came out.

A time capsule of both the bike and the norms of the time.

-Kurt

Old 10-25-20, 10:55 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by cudak888
I see a rubber pad. Someone did their due diligence installing it and it'll probably come off without issue. The original owner likely put too much belief in the 1977 CPSC reflector mandates when they came out.

-Kurt
Maybe so, I'm not cutting any slack here, whats next, a kickstand?
Old 10-25-20, 10:59 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888

-Kurt
some states still have reflector or lights mandated.
Old 10-25-20, 11:03 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I run camera's and lights front and rear 24/7, no reflectors.
Old 10-25-20, 11:09 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Heading to get some Z's here, but if you happen to have a list, do let me know. Working on an unrelated project here where that would be of benefit.

-Kurt

Old 10-25-20, 11:20 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
That's quite a time capsule. I haven't seen one that mint since they were making them new. Was this stored in a freezer? Those Del Mondo's look mint. Normally I wouldn't ride vintage tires, but silk tends to hold up and those look well preserved, at least enough to try them out around the block. Do they still hold air? Might need to be re-tubed.

If you want to build a set of new wheels, I'd suggest sticking with sew ups, but something with ferrules at a reasonable training weight. For example Mavic Championnat du Monde. You'll never get the full experience with clinchers IMHO.

I concur on losing the tire savers and reflector. Also, the rear wheel is all the way forward. It's a bit extreme. I'd adjust the adjusters to place the axle more in the middle of the dropout.
if you build new wheels keep that set of Record hubs, original spokes, as-original Martano rims and the Clemente Setas together. I have a 1980 non-Carlsbad GC in that size, and there is not much room for bigger tires. Mine is running Wolber Aspin rims in grey, 25 mm tubulars on it. It has ferrules built in . Your Martanos should have washered spoke holes, if you don’t have those several of us have added those, they add a touch of weight and a lot of strength. Replacing Martanos is costly.

I would reverse the brake cable sides, readjust the dropout screws, turn around the front tire saver, repack headset, wheel bearings, and bottom bracket. If I had Campy grease I’d use it. I don’t get obsessive about replacing the balls, there’s a real good chance they are all fine. I would clean them all and measure their diameters. If they y are all measuring the same they are probably good if not discolored.

great find!!!!!!! Mine is a little too small for me.

Nearly 2022 edit: repack all the bearings, and pay special attention to the bearing race and cone running surfaces. If you have a great local frame builder, have the frame aligned to original specs and the bb and headset installation surfaces chased and faced, as long as you have it all taken apart. If you drop the mirror but still want one (not the worst safety idea, attach it to the seatpost so as not to affect the paint. I would not be afraid of the old tires. If the rubber is not badly cracked or dried, the sidewalls are intact and have no broken threads, and the tires hold air well for a latex sewup, I’d take it out for a local test ride. Check the wheels for trueness and even spoke tension first.

Last edited by Road Fan; 12-28-21 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-25-20, 11:25 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous bike. I'm very glad it has found its way to someone who clearly appreciates such a treasure.

Those Clement Criterium Seta 250 tires were absolutely top drawer BITD and were priced accordingly - $40 or more in 1970s dollars, IIRC. But they haven't been made in decades, so I would be wary of riding on them. They might - might - be okay of they were stored properly, but I would be careful.

On the other hand, @repechage didn't call them out. I see he (wisely) said to check the rim glue, but didn't warn about the tires themselves. He knows his stuff and I would trust his judgment, yea or nay.
Old 10-25-20, 11:45 PM
majmt 

Here’s a shot of the reflector mounting. Looks like it clamped over rubber or vinyl tubing to protect the paint on the seat stay. Hopefully, no need to seek retribution. Also someone applied a rubber wrap on the seat tube to protect it from the frame pump.

I really appreciate the observations and recommendations so far.

Old 10-25-20, 11:46 PM
majmt 

I’ve been a bit confused about a few things but just had few thoughts after seeing the comments. First, per repechage, the bikes leaving the Carlsbad shop would have had Everest freewheels and chains, had yellow dabs of paint on the top tube guides and cable ends, probably different tires, and had yellow or white handlebar tape with different plugs. Salamandrine pointed out the extreme forward position of the rear wheel and you can even see that the original position was further back in the drop out. Yet, looking at the overall condition of the bike, I would guess that it was barely ridden enough to warrant replacing anything - everything really does look original.

It looks like the original point of sale was in Concord CA from the shop decal on the bottom of the seat tube and that coincides with the bike coming from the SF Bay Area. I’m thinking that the modifications may have been done at the bike shop before it ever hit the road. It makes sense that the original freewheel may have been swapped for the 14-28T Regina with a wider range for riding in SF. That may have required a different chain as well as moving the wheel forward to reduce interference. Also, the original owner may have requested that the bike shop reverse the brake routing which could’ve required modification or even replacement of the rear brake cabling along the top tube explaining why the routing guides are different than when it left Carlsbad. Maybe they rewrapped the handlebars in the process too.

Does any of that make sense?

Last edited by majmt; 10-26-20 at 05:15 AM.
Likes For majmt:
Old 10-25-20, 11:59 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by majmt
Here’s a shot of the reflector mounting. Looks like it clamped over rubber or vinyl tubing to protect the paint on the seat stay. Hopefully, no need to seek retribution. Also someone applied a rubber wrap on the seat tube to protect it from the frame pump.

I really appreciate the observations and recommendations so far.

No worries, glad they used a rubber, should be fine, still never should have been, again IMHO and I would have already taken it off, never seen one on a Masi.
Old 10-26-20, 05:31 AM
repechage

Most Masi frame fit pumps had the flare filed flat at the point where it would contact the seat tube, done prior to painting which was done at Silca. if this one does not have that then I would consider doing that after some touch up paint was secured.
The rubber barriers may not be of help not as that often rubber outgasses and will leave a brown witness to its placement.
the bar plugs could easily be from an early exchange of stem length, most of these left with 10cm stems- anything could be ordered if the shop knew prior what to use.
this bike would most likely left with Giro bend bars.
the top tube cable clips are later- they look like the stainless steel versions- the bikes had the chrome plated type with the cadmium plated fasteners.
not surprising at all that they were replaced.
to not remove them for cleaning would invite rust. Once removed at the time they were inexpensive enough that replacing with the current version was no big deal. Reusing the original snipped top tube cable clip screw was often not a viable option.
almost every Masi the shop I worked for sold had something with the bars and stem changed, position of the levers, etc upon purchase. Bikes that came through with the 3ttt saddle almost universally had the saddle exchanged, there are plenty of UO8 level bikes with Masi M decorated saddles running around, purchased cheap, better than an Ideale 39.
we ordered #3 saddles often as the suede had a reputation for getting grungy fast.
the bikes left the factory with the rear wheel set as near as far as possible forward- minimal extension of the adjuster screws.
using a 14x28 might have required a longer chain AND shifting the axle back.

as a second set of wheels - I would look at one of the modern clincher rims and a nice set of tires.

my guess the pedals have never been serviced. The Campagnolo dust cap wrench won’t work with the strap in place. Maybe set those aside and upgrade for riding to a pair of SL pedals as many owners did. Straps were a consumable. There was a shoe cobbler near the shop I worked for that could fix the Masi style rivets in the era before toe strap buttons that detail did ease the grabbing of the strap to cinch.
Old 10-26-20, 05:46 AM
repechage

No worries, glad they used a rubber, should be fine, still never should have been, again IMHO and I would have already taken it off, never seen one on a Masi.
Masi was able to completely ignore the CPSC regulations when they came in. They were Race bikes. ( probably just a bit of low production volume luck )
Old 10-26-20, 08:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Fantastic color and condition for its age!
I love the spoon stays too- the look works well on this bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.