Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Canyon logistics

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-20, 07:07 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Canyon logistics

I've had reason to be in touch with Canyon by phone to address a shipping delay. A lot of back and forth, they admitted to having a, and I quote, massive shipping delays for any orders place after 9/26/2002, end quote. Just a heads up...
Old 10-05-20, 07:41 PM
JW in AK

Bikes: 2012 Marin Pioneer Trail, 2019 Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 27 Posts
Were you in touch with them via email, by any chance? A typo of 2002 instead of 2020 seems like the most reasonable explanation. I think they started operations in 2002. If they've been delinquent in shipping since day one, there's no way they'd still be in business 18 years later.
Likes For JW in AK:
Old 10-05-20, 08:28 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
A lot of supply chains are messed up. I wouldn't necessarily pin this on Canyon...Though of course they have an obligation to keep you informed of delays and such.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-05-20, 08:48 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,886 Times in 6,090 Posts
All I can tell you is my bike arrived 3 days after I ordered it, and when I ordered some bar tape a few weeks later, it also arrived in a few days.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-05-20, 09:19 PM
bmcer

Originally Posted by JW in AK
Were you in touch with them via email, by any chance? A typo of 2002 instead of 2020 seems like the most reasonable explanation. I think they started operations in 2002. If they've been delinquent in shipping since day one, there's no way they'd still be in business 18 years later.
Sorry for the typo. 2020 indeed. Just passing along what I've been told in live phone conversation.
Likes For bmcer:
Old 10-05-20, 09:29 PM
bmcer

They may indeed be supplying bikes and other products in a timely manner. However, if you're looking to replace one of their integrated handlebar./stem units, an H36 specifically, you can expect a long wait. Based on conversation I had with their rep, the SNAFU affects on-line orders placed on or after 9/27.

No complaint implied. I'm sure they're doing the best they can in difficult times. I do love the bike I got from them.
Old 10-07-20, 11:52 AM
bmcer

Just an FYI... If you find yourself in need of a replacement for a Canyon H36 or similar integrated cockpit, I found what looks to be a drop in replacement including the oddball proprietary spacers, transition plate and top cap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a good deal less pricey as well.
Old 10-07-20, 03:55 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer
Just an FYI... If you find yourself in need of a replacement for a Canyon H36 or similar integrated cockpit, I found what looks to be a drop in replacement including the oddball proprietary spacers, transition plate and top cap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a good deal less pricey as well.
That’s very tempting... I will watch next week on Prime Day, just in case it, ya know, goes down in price or something and I need to rescue it from the big, lonely warehouse.
Old 10-08-20, 04:51 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
That is a risky part to buy that way.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 10-08-20, 05:45 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
Also worth noting that a knock-off carbon handlebar being sold on Amazon by an unknown seller from China with zero reviews is probably not an item that Amazon will be featuring on Prime Day, nor is it likely to arrive with fast shipping.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 10-08-20, 11:42 AM
bmcer

I do understand the risks involved with a Chinese vendor with a grand total of 2 reviews, one of which was unfavorable. What I find interesting is the product looks enough like it's Canyon counterpart that it could have been manufactured in the same facility. Now whether or not their QA is as good is of course unknown. That and it's less than half the cost of the Canyon product.

That said, I see to have gotten lucky. My order at Canyon was placed just before their supply lines went belly up. So my bike should have a usable set of bars tomorrow.
Old 10-08-20, 01:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Reason 437 to try and not buy a frame that requires proprietary components.

Good to hear you will get your bars soon.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-08-20, 04:31 PM
bmcer

The 1-1/4" steering tube does make finding "conventional" cockpit components difficult, but not impossible. Looks like my bar ought to show up soon. But 1-1/4 stems are out there as are conventional bars to go with them, and that'll be my fall back if things go sideways.
Old 10-10-20, 06:25 PM
Alphonsus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
A lot of supply chains are messed up. I wouldn't necessarily pin this on Canyon...Though of course they have an obligation to keep you informed of delays and such.
Yeah, I wanted to get a Canyon, and since most bike stores don't sell them in store, I will have to buy online. But I think the model/size I'm looking for(Grail Carbon model), it said it won't be till like halfway through next year. Looking to buy a gravel bike, and guess this is a bad time, especially since I wanted a Canyon. Probably will get a Trek or Specialize since those are readily available in stores.
Old 10-10-20, 06:49 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Alphonsus
Yeah, I wanted to get a Canyon, and since most bike stores don't sell them in store, I will have to buy online. But I think the model/size I'm looking for(Grail Carbon model), it said it won't be till like halfway through next year. Looking to buy a gravel bike, and guess this is a bad time, especially since I wanted a Canyon. Probably will get a Trek or Specialize since those are readily available in stores.
FWIW, I just got a Grail SLX a couple months ago, it only took a few weeks. Very happy with the value.

Canyon Grail CF SLX 8.0 eTap AXS
Old 10-11-20, 07:34 PM
Alphonsus

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you order online? It updated on their website and the CF Sl7 is coming soon 10/26-30/2020. Hoping it'll be in stock...that is if I can convince my parents
Old 10-11-20, 08:14 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Alphonsus
Did you order online? It updated on their website and the CF Sl7 is coming soon 10/26-30/2020. Hoping it'll be in stock...that is if I can convince my parents
I placed the order on the Canyon website (is there any other way?)
Old 10-12-20, 10:28 AM
bmcer

Originally Posted by Mulberry20
That is a risky part to buy that way.
Agreed. But nothing ventured, nothing gained. Here's the deal. The Canyon H36 integrated hbars/stem is close to $400. It does not come with a headset spacer kit or a top cap. Those two items add another $45 to the price tag.

On the other hand, the Sucastle includes a spacer kit, top cap AND a rather nice mount for a Garmin unit for $172.

Yes, it's probably going to take a a few weeks for the Sucastle to be delivered, but since I've already received the bars from Canyon, I'm in no rush. As far as Sucastle's QA, let me put it this way, the reason I've been looking for a H36 replacement is what I discovered while upgrading the bike's drive train to Di2. Underneath all that thick handlebar tape, the bars were badly cracked underneath right the brake/shift lever clamp. The instability it caused was not apparent until I had the bars stripped and the clamp loosened. Since I now had an unrideable bike, I was in no mood to go through the hassle and headache of a warranty claim that'd might have gotten me a free replacement but only after the inevitable "you must have crashed the bike "no I most certainly did not" argument that may or may not have gone down in my favor. Bottom line, no body has perfect QA, and everybody let's a stinker out the door sometime.

So I've ordered the Sucastle knock-off of the Canyon H36 bars just to satisfy my curiosity. Worst case scenario, I'll send it back and get a refund. Amazon's consumer support is pretty good about such things.

And no, it probably won't be a featured item during Amazon's "Prime Days" simply because it's aimed at such a small market.
Old 10-13-20, 01:36 PM
tsmith41094

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc, Trek Madone SLR, Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Just an FYI - ordered a new H11 integrated cockpit for my Ultimate last Friday and it is expected to be delivered this Thurs/Fri. Not too bad.
Old 10-13-20, 02:53 PM
gairman

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tsmith41094
Just an FYI - ordered a new H11 integrated cockpit for my Ultimate last Friday and it is expected to be delivered this Thurs/Fri. Not too bad.
That's pretty darned good in my opinion!
Old 10-14-20, 02:50 PM
bmcer

Not bad at all. Apparently they've "gotten over" whatever had their shipping bogged down. That's good news. Like I said, I really do like my Canyon bike. Their direct to the consumer business model allow them to provide above average bikes at very competitive prices. It's their post sale service that seems spotty.
Old 10-15-20, 10:05 AM
tsmith41094

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
It's their post sale service that seems spotty.
Could not agree more. Great bikes.....until you need help. It has somewhat diminished the Canyon "value proposition" for me.

Ended up going another route with my most recent purchase and was more than willing to pay a little more to get all the service/support from my LBS.
Old 10-16-20, 10:20 AM
bmcer

Could not agree more. Great bikes.....until you need help. It has somewhat diminished the Canyon "value proposition" for me.

Ended up going another route with my most recent purchase and was more than willing to pay a little more to get all the service/support from my LBS.
I had seen reports of poor post sale service from Canyon before buying one of their bikes, but opted to give them the benefit of the doubt. In their defense, I have to say they fulfilled the order for my bike in a very timely manner and did answer a couple questions I had regarding assembly politely and promptly. And the bike itself fits my needs very admirably at a price several hundred less than anything else comparable. That said, had I known how expensive and what a headache their proprietary "aero" cockpit was going to be, I probably would have waited til I had a bit more money in the bike budget. It galls me that replacing their fancy-dancy cockpit furniture cost almost twice the price of a decent set of conventional and far more widely available handlebars. Oh well... Lesson learned. Meantime, the weather up here is forecast to be nice for the next couple weeks. So time to stop whining and get out and ride.
Old 10-16-20, 12:28 PM
tsmith41094

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Oh well... Lesson learned. Meantime, the weather up here is forecast to be nice for the next couple weeks. So time to stop whining and get out and ride.
Amen to that!!
Old 10-24-20, 05:42 PM
canny

Bikes: Specialized Vita Sport, currently shopping for endurance road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could you go into a little more detail about replacing proprietary parts?

I'm looking at buying a Canyon Endurace. Thankfully the mechanic at my LBS is willing to service a Canyon if I get one. By "proprietary parts," do you mean parts that are manufactured exclusively by Canyon? Why can't parts from other manufacturers be used? Is it because no others are available, or because it would void the Canyon warranty?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.