Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Dawes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Dawes!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-12, 10:45 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Show us your Dawes!

It seems to me that Dawes made some very nice bikes, but they don't get so much airplay, probably owing to the preeminence of Raleigh, and the fact that (in the USA at least) they're comparatively scarce.

- For those of you who know nothing about the marque, there is a little primer here on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawes_Cycles

- And for those of you who own one of these iconic Brits, please post your pics!

I'll begin with my '82 Atlantis: '531 fork, stays, and butted tubes; first generation Cyclone; Map of England bars, Weinmann concaves; Atom hubs.
Mods include the Shimano 6400 cranks, a 6-speed 14-28 FW (in place of the original 7-spd corncob), and a set of Universal-68 brake calipers from eBay.

Old 11-18-12, 11:05 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
1953 model of some sort:

Old 11-18-12, 11:18 AM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
I got a dawes project hopefully coming up.

its my friends, lets see if he is willing to let me rebuild it
Old 11-18-12, 12:13 PM
auchencrow

Now you went did it. You gave me a case of Dawes headbadge envy!

Old 11-18-12, 12:15 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by Chuckk
Mine still look the same

Nice. Is the orange one a Galaxy also?
Old 11-18-12, 12:18 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by puchfinnland
I got a dawes project hopefully coming up.

its my friends, lets see if he is willing to let me rebuild it
What do you mean "if"?
Old 11-18-12, 01:01 PM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
What do you mean "if"?
No Job-No Funds
144 chainwheels are shot- too cheap to buy replacements,
I donated Shimano Altus deraileurs to him as the french junk had to go
Old 11-18-12, 01:31 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
1986 Dawes Jaguar, picked up a couple of months ago. Pictures do not do justice to the bronze color.

Old 11-18-12, 03:11 PM
peter_d
self propelled lifer

Bikes: 1962 Dawes Galaxy; 72 Gitane Interclub;73 Peugeot PR10;78 Torpado Luxe;73 Grandis; 81 Raleigh/Carlton Comp; 85 Bianchi Stelvio; 87 Bianchi Brava; 73 Bottechia Special; 1969 or70 Bob Jackson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I have a battered 1962 Galaxy that is currently undergoing a complete repaint and restoration, i'll post pics when its presentable. This is the only bike i've seen that has no depression on the drive side chainstay to accomodate the inner chainring, so even with the standard 130mm bb spindle most cranksets are too deep for the inner ring to clear the chainstay. Makes me wonder if this vintage was originally designed to be a 5 speed.
Old 11-18-12, 04:17 PM
VonCarlos
AmiableNitrite Member

Bikes: '74 Alex Singer -'81 Mercian(sold) - '72 Motobecane GR(sold) - '73 Legnano(sold) - '6? Dawes Galaxy(sold) - '87 Masi GC(sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've already shown this Dawes on BF; sadly it's too big for me so it's got to go.
Too bad because it rides very nicely, straight as an arrow and very smooth.

Old 11-18-12, 05:20 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by peter_d
I have a battered 1962 Galaxy that is currently undergoing a complete repaint and restoration, i'll post pics when its presentable. This is the only bike i've seen that has no depression on the drive side chainstay to accomodate the inner chainring, so even with the standard 130mm bb spindle most cranksets are too deep for the inner ring to clear the chainstay. Makes me wonder if this vintage was originally designed to be a 5 speed.
I don't think you need to wonder about that any longer, Peter - The '64 catalog for the Galaxy still shows a 5-spd model, with a venerable Svelto or Benelux Mk VII derailleur.
It sure looks like one spiffy bike too.
We'll be looking for your post - hopefully before too long!

PS- In case you did not know, there are some add'l catalog pages at bulgier.net.
Old 11-18-12, 05:39 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by VonCarlos
I've already shown this Dawes on BF; sadly it's too big for me so it's got to go.
Too bad because it rides very nicely, straight as an arrow and very smooth.

What a beauty - a veritable time machine too!

PS - If you can really appreciate that it rides so nicely, VonCarlos, you might want to reconsider your assumptions about what "too large" is. I wouldn't want you to part with such a lovely steed and then regret it later on. (BTDT )
Old 11-18-12, 05:48 PM
elboGreaze
carpe diem

Bikes: CAAD 9 , Schwinn World, Prologue, Madison , Sports Tourer ; Ironman , Opus lll , Allez , Peugeot 753, Trek 531 (2) , Assenmacher ( custom)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked up this 1985 Echelon off CL a while back, 531 DB mains , nice saddle . So far , all I've done to it is re-pack the hubs and BB . I know, lose the reflectors . I just can't get myself to do it , the reflectors are so dorky that they are kinda cool ! I do like the fact about the Dawes line that you don't see them very often .
Old 11-18-12, 05:58 PM
peter_d
self propelled lifer

Bikes: 1962 Dawes Galaxy; 72 Gitane Interclub;73 Peugeot PR10;78 Torpado Luxe;73 Grandis; 81 Raleigh/Carlton Comp; 85 Bianchi Stelvio; 87 Bianchi Brava; 73 Bottechia Special; 1969 or70 Bob Jackson

I don't think you need to wonder about that any longer, Peter - The '64 catalog for the Galaxy still shows a 5-spd model, with a venerable Svelto or Benelux Mk VII derailleur.
It sure looks like one spiffy bike too.
We'll be looking for your post - hopefully before too long!

PS- In case you did not know, there are some add'l catalog pages at bulgier.net.
Thanks Auchen, i'll check them out!
Old 11-18-12, 06:05 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by elboGreaze
Picked up this 1985 Echelon off CL a while back, 531 DB mains , nice saddle . So far , all I've done to it is re-pack the hubs and BB . I know, lose the reflectors . I just can't get myself to do it , the reflectors are so dorky that they are kinda cool ! I do like the fact about the Dawes line that you don't see them very often .
AND you don't see Echelons hardly at all. ( And of course, Echelons with reflectors are really REALLY rare! )
Old 11-18-12, 06:06 PM
peter_d
self propelled lifer

Beautiful Galaxy VonCarlos
Old 11-18-12, 06:12 PM
elboGreaze
carpe diem

Bikes: CAAD 9 , Schwinn World, Prologue, Madison , Sports Tourer ; Ironman , Opus lll , Allez , Peugeot 753, Trek 531 (2) , Assenmacher ( custom)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't remember the last time I saw an Atlantis, either . Very nice, great work !
Old 12-15-12, 02:27 PM
bikesniffer

Bikes: Wicked Fat Chance singlespeed, Sycip Hardtail, Sycip 650c road bike, Benotto Fixed gear roadster, Velo Orange Rando, Huffy Trike hack, Bridgestone MB5 Playa bike, various beaters, mixtes, and project bikes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a red Dawes Merit Model. Photos are here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7744800...7629653562791/

This is what I posted in the CR list:
I have a red and black Dawes Merit Model frameset to sell. Specs are:

Seat tube 56cm
Top Tube: 57cm
Head tube: 128mm
Stays: 445mm
BB width: 68mm
Stem length: 110mm
Bar width: 39cm

The original spec when it was built into a bike was a 5 speed. The slotted semi- horizontal dropouts would be good for an easy internal hub, singlespeed or fixed build.
The flame headbadge dates it pre 1976. The decals push the manufacturing date back a bit further, but I don't know enough about the brand to go beyond more than speculation that it's late 60's. If anyone has better info I'd appreciate it.

Photos here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7744800...7629653562791/

The handlebar has some nice embossing but no manufacture mark. Possibly a Concord? The stem is a Dawes stem.The headset is a Stronglight V4 or similar derivative.

The condition is "fair". Lots of use, but there are a lot more miles left on it it. Lots of red paint as 'touchup' add a certain amount of 'patina' and uniqueness if you want to call it that....

It's been kicking around my life for far too long and needs to find another home.

Update- date of manufacture is 1955 -58. Much older than I thought.

Last edited by bikesniffer; 12-15-12 at 04:32 PM. Reason: added more info.
Old 01-16-13, 03:12 PM
sendgridover

Bikes: Giant CRS3 and Scott Vail

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I have just stumbled across this thread and am not sure whether it is still active, however for some time I have been searching for a 'retro' Reynolds frame bike as was fortunate recently to get hold of a Dawes Jaguar. Unfortunately I know nothing about the history of this bike and would welcome some knowledgable guidance please. The fame is a deep cherry red colour and has Suntour gearing, and some really nice engraving on the drop bars. It rides really nice when compared to my modern road bike but for now and before I decide on the worthiness of restoration it is on my turbo trainer in the garage.
Old 01-16-13, 05:47 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by sendgridover
Hi, I have just stumbled across this thread and am not sure whether it is still active, however for some time I have been searching for a 'retro' Reynolds frame bike as was fortunate recently to get hold of a Dawes Jaguar. Unfortunately I know nothing about the history of this bike and would welcome some knowledgable guidance please. The fame is a deep cherry red colour and has Suntour gearing, and some really nice engraving on the drop bars. It rides really nice when compared to my modern road bike but for now and before I decide on the worthiness of restoration it is on my turbo trainer in the garage.
Welcome to C&V sendgridover - We'd love to see pics of your Jaguar - (off the trainer of course).

Dawes has had a loyal folowing - but unfortunately they basically went under and though the name is active today it's just not the same since the
passing of the Galaxy tourer, or the racier Echelon, Mirage, Double Blue & Atlantis.

You can find a little history on Dawes on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawes_Cycles

There are also several catalogs on the Bulgier site.

https://www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/

Unfortunately I have no information at all to offer regarding the Jaguar, but would certainly be interested in seeing it.
(Pics or it didn't happen! )
Old 01-16-13, 06:24 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
I think I've posted this photo before. This is my Double Blue right after I first rebuilt it, a couple of years ago. It looks different now. The Cyclo cluster on the AW hub with the Nuovo Record derailleurs was a technical success but an operational failure--not enough range to be useful to me. It now has a Suntour VGT Luxe and a Suntour Ultra freewheel that I just customized with some valuable assistance from Pastor Bob. I swapped the original 52-40 front rings for a 48 and a 32 (lucky ebay find) that makes a very nice wide range double. It was very clean after the original OA bath, but some rust is peeking through the paint again. Frame tubing is perfectly sound, though, as far as I can tell.
There's a "64" on the bottom bracket shell that I'd thought might be a date. It still might be, but I've also learned that the frames of Wrights saddles were date-stamped--the one on this bike is from 1967. Either way, I guess it's accurate to say that it dates to the mid 60s.
It rides very well, and I really enjoy its "retro-ness," patina, and originality. (Except for the derailleurs, chain, brake pads, cables and bar tape, it's all original--I even reused the original cable housings.) It's always mystified me a little that the Double Blue has a chromed fork but not chromed stays, while the supposedly lower-on-the-food-chain Galaxy had both.

Edit--I just noticed that my avatar photo is a close-up of the hub gear, taken at the same time as the photo I just posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PICT0001.jpg (102.8 KB, 947 views)

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash

Last edited by jonwvara; 01-16-13 at 06:29 PM. Reason: None
Old 01-16-13, 08:33 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
My Dawes, can't tell you what it is, getting the fender treatment tonight Sure would like to know the model.I've had it since the mid eightes, second owner. Brooks saddle is keeping another bike company right now. Mix of various Italian components.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dawes w fenders 002.jpg (98.9 KB, 1312 views)
Old 01-16-13, 09:34 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
My Dawes, can't tell you what it is, getting the fender treatment tonight Sure would like to know the model.I've had it since the mid eightes, second owner. Brooks saddle is keeping another bike company right now. Mix of various Italian components.
I can't tell what it is either 3-speed, but it looks contemporary with my bike (~ 1981/2).
- What does the tubing label/ label on the fork say?

(PS_ You need to get it it's own Brooks!)
Old 01-16-13, 09:39 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by jonwvara
I think I've posted this photo before.....

No need to feel shy about posting more pics of that Double Blue!
Old 01-16-13, 10:40 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
I can't tell what it is either 3-speed, but it looks contemporary with my bike (~ 1981/2).
- What does the tubing label/ label on the fork say?

(PS_ You need to get it it's own Brooks!)

Fork tube says AKISU
FORK BLADE
akisu colours are green and black. Inside on the steer tube is date coded 1980

BROOKS- Yes ,going to happen one of these days ! I'm real tired of moving the B17 from bike to bike. At least it's getting broken in faster.

I think the hammered fenders are set. Nice challenge to get right. Still have to tighten up everything. Still can't decide if those or the white set I have would be better.

Love the Dawes !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.