Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-17, 01:50 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Which one should i get, and will I be disappointed in my new power after using Stages for so long?
those aren't exactly inexpensive. would you consider the used market? you can get some VERY nice stuff for not all that much more.

i guess 165 would be the limiter, though.
Old 08-27-17, 06:29 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Also, speaking of cleat placement - I am in need of new shoes, and my current shoes are not wide. Therefore they are much longer than my feet, and the cleats are as far back as possible and just barely at the balls of my feet.

What's a good super wide, inexpensive, durable, easy to use shoe from a company that allows returns if the size is wrong?

Wait, you're willing to drop several hundred dollars on a PM to try a different crank length, but you are sweating the cost of shoes?

As for wide shoe options:
Sidi
Shimano
Specialized
Lake
Bont

Regular Bonts are not wide. Bont has a pretty nifty tool for verifying what size you need. Also, IIRC, Lake posts the width measurements of its shoes.
Old 08-27-17, 06:36 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
how many years do you guys generally get out of your pedals? my 5 year old 105s finally let me down. max tension and
. cleats aren't pristine but are fine (and I rode a friends pedal and didn't pull out so definitely the pedal).

Old 08-27-17, 09:16 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
For trainer enthusiasts (maybe I'm the only one lol), saw a thread on slowtwitch where someone ran across a wahoo test site and posted images of a new front wheel incline simulator (called kickr climb) to pair with their Kickr trainers, plus a refresh of the kickr. Unsure if overly gimmicky or cool
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Kickr_Climb_P6404432

Lnk to the kickr climb page. Some cool details, but probably just a gimmick. I think it will be ~800$ so way more than I would be willing to spend on a tool that really doesn't do much beside improve a simulation.

It will be cool, however, to see if trainerroad (et al) integrate this into their training platform somehow.
Old 08-27-17, 10:54 AM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tacx finally came out with the consumer ready treadmill. The cost of bureaucracy and regulation effectively neutered it. To all outward appearances they made an industrial gym treadmill for running that you can ride a bike on. Still more than any normal person would spend for it.
Old 08-28-17, 11:20 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
so i'm kind of in the market for shoes as well, since one of my strap loops is tearing off on my cheap 4 year old pearl izumi entry level shoes. The bont riot looks intriguing (and only $75 at the moment). given that I've had some fitting done with my shoes (arch support and toe wedge), would something like the ability to do heat molding help to create another layer of shoe comfort? my current shoes aren't uncomfortable, per se, but I had some issues with toe numbness on my left foot that have been largely mitigated with the inserts and of course cleat placement
Old 08-28-17, 11:40 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Wait, you're willing to drop several hundred dollars on a PM to try a different crank length, but you are sweating the cost of shoes?

Sidi
Shimano
Specialized
Lake
Bont

Regular Bonts are not wide. Bont has a pretty nifty tool for verifying what size you need. Also, IIRC, Lake posts the width measurements of its shoes.
Well I've been sweating the cost of the power meter crankset also which is why its taken me a year of hemming and hawing before making a decision!

Yesterday I met another cat 2 dude, my height and said he has short legs also. His saddle height is the same as mine and he already dropped to 165 cranks. Claimed he almost instantly gained 15 to 20 watts with shorter cranks. But he is also less flexible than I am. I'm not looking to gain power. I just want to be more comfortable and aero and not LOSE power.
Old 08-28-17, 12:33 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well I've been sweating the cost of the power meter crankset also which is why its taken me a year of hemming and hawing before making a decision!

Yesterday I met another cat 2 dude, my height and said he has short legs also. His saddle height is the same as mine and he already dropped to 165 cranks. Claimed he almost instantly gained 15 to 20 watts with shorter cranks. But he is also less flexible than I am. I'm not looking to gain power. I just want to be more comfortable and aero and not LOSE power.
if you want to be more aero and look less like a fill in guitar player for Stillwater...

https://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/duncans/bike_aero.pdf
Old 08-28-17, 01:32 PM
aaronmcd

I'll take the 8 second penalty until I turn pro and start racing grand tours
Old 08-29-17, 06:34 AM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For posterity, what's your saddle height?
Old 08-29-17, 09:03 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
so i'm kind of in the market for shoes as well, since one of my strap loops is tearing off on my cheap 4 year old pearl izumi entry level shoes. The bont riot looks intriguing (and only $75 at the moment). given that I've had some fitting done with my shoes (arch support and toe wedge), would something like the ability to do heat molding help to create another layer of shoe comfort? my current shoes aren't uncomfortable, per se, but I had some issues with toe numbness on my left foot that have been largely mitigated with the inserts and of course cleat placement
i can't recommend sworks shoes enough. an incredible warranty makes them even more worth it.
Old 08-29-17, 12:29 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Which one should i get, and will I be disappointed in my new power after using Stages for so long?
I had the FSA Gossamer and sold it within a couple of months. The Qfactor or something was ridiculous. My left crank arm felt like it would wobble at the top of the stroke.

And it was absolutely impossible to get on and off the bike (BB386 evo). I was using full-force blows with a hammer and of course it'd knock the bearings out each time. P2Max customer service were just like "sometimes it's tight". Yeah, right.

Never going back to FSA cranks, nor likely p2max.
Old 08-29-17, 12:31 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts

Sidi
Shimano
Specialized
Lake
Bont

Not sure how wide aaron's feet are, but for my super wide feet Specialized just didnt fit. I wore Sidi Mega's before, but am currently in a pair of Shimano 321's that are very comfortable...the 321's are not the cheapest pair of shoes, but Shimano may be worth looking into as im sure the cheaper shoes fit close to the same

Last edited by Wylde06; 08-29-17 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-29-17, 12:36 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by mike868y
how many years do you guys generally get out of your pedals? my 5 year old 105s finally let me down. max tension and i can still pull out of them. cleats aren't pristine but are fine (and I rode a friends pedal and didn't pull out so definitely the pedal).

https://twitter.com/resultsboy/statu...90837565456384
1.5 years out of one pair of 105 al. Have had 2 years out of another 105 al. They still work okay. Got about half a season out of carbon ultegra. They still work, more or less, just that the right pedal has a l~1-2mm "give" now at the front that I feel when cranking which drives me crazy. Like extra forward float or something. Can't figure out how it happened, but the 105 I trashed did that too, along with the axle bearing getting gross.

Never had an issue with pulling out.
Old 08-29-17, 12:39 PM
rubiksoval

Mentioned it a few times, but I'm 5"11 and went to 165s. No power gains, no power losses that I can see at any point along the spectrum. Just increased drop, easier to stay low for longer (always had trouble with knees in chest), and I can pedal through more turns.
Old 08-29-17, 12:44 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I have the leather specialized, they're great but expensive. In the past I've had issues with fit and their insole system usually has something that works for everyone

Old 08-29-17, 12:49 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two sets of the S-Works 6 shoes. Why 2? Because I love them so much and decided I wanted to 'freshen up' after having ridden a pair for ~30k miles. I am still wearing the old pair because they have conformed to my foot so perfectly over time.

All this is to say: S-Works 6 is a good choice, well worth the cash.
Old 08-29-17, 01:45 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by Harlan
For posterity, what's your saddle height?
From the ground around 37 1/4"
Bottom bracket drop is 68 mm if it's the same as the latest model.
Assuming 73 degree seat tube, BB to saddle is ~28"

I'm surprised I've never measured this. I found 20 data points of rider height vs saddle height from various forums on the web, and scaled them all to 5'-10". The average saddle is almost 2" higher than mine!

It's no wonder I can't get a low position on the bike

Btw, I finally went ahead and bought the Rotors. They said i can exchange cranks after trying them, but I suspect I'd rather ride for at least a few months. One ride won't be enough unless it's REALLY bad.
Old 08-29-17, 03:08 PM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the ground around 37 1/4"
Bottom bracket drop is 68 mm if it's the same as the latest model.
Assuming 73 degree seat tube, BB to saddle is ~28"

I'm surprised I've never measured this. I found 20 data points of rider height vs saddle height from various forums on the web, and scaled them all to 5'-10". The average saddle is almost 2" higher than mine!

It's no wonder I can't get a low position on the bike

Btw, I finally went ahead and bought the Rotors. They said i can exchange cranks after trying them, but I suspect I'd rather ride for at least a few months. One ride won't be enough unless it's REALLY bad.
I wouldn't look at total height vs saddle height. I'm 5'9.5" and run a 70cm bb->saddle height, somewhat forward. Setback also comes into the equation, as well riding style. I like to err on the side of too low. It's comfortable for me to move around the saddle between climbing and on the rivet. I've got stubby little legs. It's comical that I can't even get my saddle low enough on some bikes I've looked at for sale. I use 172.5s because that's what I've got. I do have a set of 167.5 Campy cranks that I might try out on a winter beater to see how I like the length. I'd be willing to bet the different between the crank length is dwarfed by the cleat changes I've made recently (moved back).
Old 08-29-17, 04:06 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYY8iEFAru9/

Looks cool. I'll get into tting eventually.
Old 08-29-17, 04:07 PM
aaronmcd

I wouldn't look at total height vs saddle height.
I was looking at this as a way of determining if I do in fact have short enough legs to justify my experiment. Turns out I might.

I'm 5'9.5" and run a 70cm bb->saddle height, somewhat forward. Setback also comes into the equation, as well riding style. I like to err on the side of too low. It's comfortable for me to move around the saddle between climbing and on the rivet.
I also move around for climbing vs. TT off the front. I feel like my saddle is low enough for this, but not crazy low. One season I had it shoved all the way forward and a tad (nothing like the 2" I cited) higher. It was a way of compensating and getting more aero, but I moved it back, preferring to have the option for better traction and climbing position as required (for a while I shifted it back and forth, but that was a pain).

I've got stubby little legs. It's comical that I can't even get my saddle low enough on some bikes I've looked at for sale. I use 172.5s because that's what I've got. I do have a set of 167.5 Campy cranks that I might try out on a winter beater to see how I like the length. I'd be willing to bet the different between the crank length is dwarfed by the cleat changes I've made recently (moved back).
If I finally buy shoes that fit (width) I'll probably also move my cleats back a tad automatically because the shoes won't be as long. May move the saddle forward a bit but not as crazy as I had it a couple years ago. I'm all but resigned to never being able to hang on climbs longer than 2 to 4 minutes by now.
Old 08-29-17, 06:47 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Maybe you can get with one of the guys local to you - MattM or Fudgy to help you figure out the fit on your bike?
Old 08-29-17, 10:16 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Maybe you can get with one of the guys local to you - MattM or Fudgy to help you figure out the fit on your bike?
@aaronmcd and I are on the same team - there’s a lot I’d change with his fit, but he wouldn’t listen to me anyway!
Old 08-30-17, 02:31 PM
aaronmcd

Matt would likely tell me to do whatever he does and ignore all physiological differences.

Fudgy would attempt some joke about my fit and then fish for compliments on his TT position.

The one so-called professional fit I got was a ridiculous waste.

I'd listen to pretty much anyone who gives me a reason for whatever they tell me. Hell, I'll listen regardless, but I may roll my eyes if it sounds bogus or the reason is "muh authoritay" or "but cyclists have always done it this way".
Old 08-30-17, 03:06 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
You should try platform disco cleats. Just IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.