Search
Notices
Australia - New Zealand Australia - New Zealand

Safer Communities - NZ Style

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 11:04 PM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
Safer Communities - NZ Style

As I understand it this incident was reported to the New Zealand Police. The response from the C.M. Cooney, Acting Sergeant E961, Traffic Investigation Unit, Ponsonby Community Policing Centre

In a letter from New Zealand Police dated 21st Jan 2013:

Re: Complaint, Titirangi Road
File No. 121115/4130
Dear Sir
The above file has been assessed by this office.
Once again, due to the minor nature of the incident, the fact that you were not knocked off your bicycle and as you were failing to keep left. Police will be taking no further action.
As I have stated repeatedly, unless you are knocked off your bicycle and therefore the victim of a true collision,this type of complaint will simply continue to be filed.
In continuing to make this type of complaint, you are not only wasting your time, more importantly you are wasting Police time.
This matter has been filed.
Yours faithfully
C.M. Cooney
Acting Sergeant E961
Traffic Investigation Unit
Ponsonby Community Policing Centre
Safer Communities Together

Clearly he has interesting ideas on what safer communities are

Andrew
Old 01-31-13, 05:06 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
I agree with the Police. The cyclist was WAY too far to the right and deliberately antagonising the motorists. It doesn't show cyclists in a good light and I'm not supporting the actions of the cyclist.

Keep left. Its not that hard.

Anthony
Old 01-31-13, 07:12 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG
I agree with the Police. The cyclist was WAY too far to the right and deliberately antagonising the motorists. It doesn't show cyclists in a good light and I'm not supporting the actions of the cyclist.

Keep left. Its not that hard.

Anthony
So that makes it okay to use a vehicle as weapon to hit the cyclist? Also the police officer has it wrong in respect of the law in NZ which from what I have been able to allows all vehicles including cyclists to claim the lane.

Irrespective of that it does not and can never justify using a vehicle to hit a cyclist.

Cheers
Andrew
Old 01-31-13, 03:30 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
So your agreeing that the cyclist was deliberately trying to claim the lane. There are times when I have claimed the lane because the road was simply too narrow for both bicycle and car and I didn't want the car to travel wide around a blind bend. The cars understood this and I had no problems from them.

Deliberately traveling in the middle of the lane when there was AMPLE room on the left is just deliberately antagonising the motorists.

2 wrongs don't make a right and since the cyclist didn't fall off I'm with the Police on this incident.

Anthony

Last edited by AnthonyG; 02-01-13 at 03:30 AM.