Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery Marketplace Bike: COLIN

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mystery Marketplace Bike: COLIN

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-20, 12:24 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 1,072 Times in 794 Posts
see if you can put in a "marker" to hold it until he's back up enough to make a safe sale (people do this all the time by meeting a distance apart and doing the exchange of goods/money by placing them "in the middle" but distanced apart "sideways".. kind of like a prisoner exchange on the bridge over the DMZ...) I'd offer to mail him some amount (a check gives you some insurance) to keep your place as "first buyer".
Old 11-01-20, 10:07 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Sorry to hear the the seller has COVID. Wish him speedy recovery and suggest down payment or total payment by mail if you're sure you want this bike.
Old 11-01-20, 07:29 PM
selaing

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Sorry about the seller having COVID.

As for stickers, decals, names on the frames etc. Growing up, Dad used to hand paint his name on the frames with a sticker head badge. When we moved back to England in 1985, he was making most of the frames for other shops and put their name on. When we moved back to the USA in October 1985, we lived in Stockton CA for several months. During this time, Dad hand cut decals out of sticker plastic and made the headbadge. Upon arriving in Tempe in March 1986, Dad started calling the bikes COLIAN - combination of Colin and Ian (his eldest son). That lasted for many years until Dad moved back to England and back again. He then started using Le Colin.

I can say with certain, the two bikes which have been shown on this web, were made by my Dad. I can provide more details on when they were made if I can get a frame number. The book has numbers from 1977- 1991/2.

cheers
Stuart Laing
Likes For selaing:
Old 11-01-20, 08:07 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4527 Post(s)
Liked 6,422 Times in 3,697 Posts
Originally Posted by selaing
Sorry about the seller having COVID.

As for stickers, decals, names on the frames etc. Growing up, Dad used to hand paint his name on the frames with a sticker head badge. When we moved back to England in 1985, he was making most of the frames for other shops and put their name on. When we moved back to the USA in October 1985, we lived in Stockton CA for several months. During this time, Dad hand cut decals out of sticker plastic and made the headbadge. Upon arriving in Tempe in March 1986, Dad started calling the bikes COLIAN - combination of Colin and Ian (his eldest son). That lasted for many years until Dad moved back to England and back again. He then started using Le Colin.

I can say with certain, the two bikes which have been shown on this web, were made by my Dad. I can provide more details on when they were made if I can get a frame number. The book has numbers from 1977- 1991/2.

cheers
Stuart Laing
So cool, Tx for being here to help Stuart.

Your Dad's bike are squarely on my radar, just have to find a big one, this one would probably do, 64cm is the lower limit.
Old 11-01-20, 11:06 PM
dbhouston 

Bikes: 2005 Orbea Spirit + 2018 Specialized Diverge + 1974 Raleigh Competition + 1983 Centurion Pro Tour 15

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
So cool, Tx for being here to help Stuart.

Your Dad's bike are squarely on my radar, just have to find a big one, this one would probably do, 64cm is the lower limit.
Now you have the perfect excuse to make a pilgrimage to Muskogee! As appealing as this one is, it's probably not going to be my bike - likely too big, though hard to tell in the bad photos, not to mention the potential problems that will require a trip out there when the seller is recovered, God willing.