Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1980s Ron Cooper with Campagnolo Chorus Grupo

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-23, 10:14 AM
mnwdvm13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a small handbuilt Ron Cooper bike from the mid-1980s. All original with complete Campagnolo Chorus Grupo. Just wondering on possible value and where might be the best place to sell it.
Old 09-24-23, 10:55 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
Thats sounds like a fine, nicely equipped velo.

Where is the best place to sell? That can depend on your needs. eBay may get the highest price but then you are dealing with eBay and shipping with fees. I suggest the C&V sales forum, but you may still have to do shipping.

Even though I have not seen the Cooper I'd think that $300 on Craigslist local would sell fairly quickly if it is clean and all in working order.

You definitely picked the right spot to ask about values. To get the best evaluation you will need to post up some good pictures of detail. Note this is all speculation bike prices can vary due to your location.
Old 09-24-23, 12:41 PM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
Yeah, location, several pictures of the bike showing the drivetrain (put them in the gallery so somebody can cross link them here), and whether you are willing to part it. Often selling the frame and group set as two separate lots will bring you more money. People complain about that but then they are not willing to pay the price of both still together.
Old 09-24-23, 03:03 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...most of these (that I've seen), got sold out of Bicycle Odyssey in Sausalito. Even with the depressed pricing of today, if the paint is still in good shape and everything works, it ought to be worth 5-600 on the SF Bay Area Craigslist. Few years back these were $800 bikes on Craigslist. I couild be wrong, but if you're in Nor Cal, depending on condition, I think I'd start off around $600, if you're listing on CL.

I actually have one of about that vintage I'll be selling this year or next. If i can't sell it for about $600, I'll just keep on riding it.
Old 09-24-23, 06:45 PM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 319 Posts
Photos and measurements will really help. You say it is small -- if really small that will impact your price, as not as many folks looking for that. If the Chorus group is complete, in working order, and cosmetically decent it alone is worth $300-$400 (complete parts kit minus frame and fork). To maximize return you might want to sell those parts separately from the frame -- but again, more info is needed for an actual well-informed opinion -- all of us are sort of shooting in the dark right now. Good luck!
Old 09-25-23, 03:50 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
I can tell you it won’t sell for $1,800. This fine example of a mid-70s Ron Cooper has been listed for a long long time in W MI.

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/b...663581565.html

To get the most for this lesser-known brand, you’re better off going to eBay where you can hopefully connect to someone who appreciates the value of the bike. Relying on a local listing, the price will be considerably less. Depending on condition, I’d guess as low as $350 and as high as $600.
Old 09-25-23, 05:06 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,133 Posts
Ron Cooper was a highly respected English frame builder, one of the very best in the second half of the 20th century. Before starting on his own in the sixties he built for AS Gillott. I tend to think that the estimates here are a little low but a lot depends on condition and size. Post some photos to your gallery on your member page then notify us and we can post them here. Until then gross speculation is all we can offer.
Brent

Likes For obrentharris:
Old 10-02-23, 08:15 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
We'll need to see photos to determine condition, of course, but if it's in good condition, I wouldn't let it go for less than $600. For less than that, I'd keep it if I didn't have to sell it. Hope that's not the case for you.