Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1980s Faggin frame

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-23, 04:00 PM
SDHawk

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn High Sierra, 1989 Supergo Access Comp, 1989 Nishiki Pinnacle,1990 Trek 750, 1990 Trek 970, 1991 Miyata Quickcross, 1992 Bridgestone RB-2, 2002 Stumpjumper M4 Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 116 Posts
1980s Faggin frame

I picked this up the other day because it was cheap and had some Campy parts. I think mid to late 80s based on the components. It's a 58 cm and the fork is bent backwards ... actually the steerer tube on the fork is bent right at the bottom race. The general consensus seems to be replace the fork, tho some say it can be bent back.

Anyway, my question is whether the frame is worth much by itself? Just the frame, BB, and seatpost. I will remove the bars, stem, and lock . I'm planning on donating it, but if it's worth hundreds, well, you know....

Thanks in advance. I know nuthin about vintage road bikes.

Last edited by SDHawk; 09-22-23 at 04:02 PM. Reason: changed pic
Old 09-22-23, 04:55 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,133 Posts
The kind of impact that will bend a fork can often deform the top tube and down tube near the head lugs. Looking at your second photo it appears that there might be a bulge or ripple in the top tube an inch or so behind the head tube. That part of the image is not perfectly in focus though, so it's hard to tell. In any case it would be worth carefully running your fingers along the top and bottom of the tubes to see if you can detect any deformation.
Brent

Likes For obrentharris:
Old 09-22-23, 06:17 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
I am not too sure about the value. A Faggin sold recently for $65 for F&F. They are normally nice riding bikes, but you may have a crash damaged item which would reduce the value considerably. This is an example of the kind of frames I bring into my shop to try and revive. If you decide to donate it I am interested in having it to try and restore as a ridable bike. Lemme know.... Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 09-22-23, 06:18 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
BTW is that an Olhausen table?
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 09-22-23, 08:16 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...at this point, I wouldn't worry about this one having a whole lot of value. Faggin made and sold some very nice bikes in the 80's. I think they gave up on being famous in the US after five or six years of increased production and marketing. They sold both full SL frames, and three tubes versions (for less money). They were famous for some very flashy paint jobs. I'm pretty sure that yours was repainted, before someone crashed it and bent the fork.

Fork might be repairable, or it might not. Here's the kind of paint/chrome I'm talking about. It was a little fragile, so it's not unusual to see them repainted.

Old 09-22-23, 08:39 PM
SDHawk

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn High Sierra, 1989 Supergo Access Comp, 1989 Nishiki Pinnacle,1990 Trek 750, 1990 Trek 970, 1991 Miyata Quickcross, 1992 Bridgestone RB-2, 2002 Stumpjumper M4 Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
The kind of impact that will bend a fork can often deform the top tube and down tube near the head lugs. Looking at your second photo it appears that there might be a bulge or ripple in the top tube an inch or so behind the head tube. That part of the image is not perfectly in focus though, so it's hard to tell. In any case it would be worth carefully running your fingers along the top and bottom of the tubes to see if you can detect any deformation.
Brent
Good catch, thanks. Yes, there is a small ripple on the underside of the top tube where you noted. The lugging appears fine, no cracks, separation, etc. Down tube is ok. Does the ripple render the frame toast? I am planning on giving it to a collective, and of course will point it out. But if you folks think it's unsafe, I guess I'll have to toss it.

The odd thing is that the wheels, which match and seem original (Mavic MA-40) were fine. Maybe the fork was bent during storage/moving with the front wheel off?

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
I am not too sure about the value. A Faggin sold recently for $65 for F&F. They are normally nice riding bikes, but you may have a crash damaged item which would reduce the value considerably. This is an example of the kind of frames I bring into my shop to try and revive. If you decide to donate it I am interested in having it to try and restore as a ridable bike. Lemme know.... Smiles, MH
Thanks for the offer, but I will either toss or give it local depending on the verdict above.

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
BTW is that an Olhausen table?
Nah, it's just a no-name one I bought new online 20 yrs ago. It's the smaller 7 foot "bar size" but it plays alright.
Old 09-22-23, 08:59 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
What an awful name......
Old 09-22-23, 09:29 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,133 Posts
It's not uncommon for the front wheel to come through unscathed in a front end collision that bends the fork and frame.
The frame is not in danger of failing catastrophically. Depending on the severity of the bend in the frame the handling may be minimally affected. An experienced frame builder with an alignment table might be able to tell you if the geometry has been appreciably altered, but for the rest of us mere mortals only building it up and riding it will tell how it handles. The fork, on the other hand, does need to be addressed. In some cases it is possible to safely straighten this sort of steering tube bend, but in my very limited experience the steerer tube usually needs to be replaced.

If your local bike collective declines the donation you might reconsider Mad Honk's request rather than scrapping it. He makes a bit of a specialty of bringing bikes back from the brink.
Brent

Likes For obrentharris: