Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-17, 02:34 PM
CrazyIvan

Bikes: Cannondale R600 Triple, Me-Mover FIT 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exhaust Fumes Aromas

Originally Posted by Wildwood
How true. Takes a lot of discipline to stick to a routine.

I did a summer (2 years ago) as a Wilderness Ranger - best cross training for an aging body - reduced caloric intake, lots of walking, fresh air, and positive vibes from everyone you meet (almost). These days, the bike is my cardio + yardwork is my muscular exertion, had to take down four 40' - 50' trees and haul them out. i could do harder cardio or more focused cross training, but = all work and not enough play makes Wildwood a dull boy.

You need something besides that R600, a nice classic steel frame rides soooo much nicer. Are you smelling all the roses along the way?

Who really knows what tomorrow brings, maybe new direction for my soul and things.....

I spend a good deal of my riding time on public roads rather than bicycle trails, but on the occasion, I'm on a wilderness trail not too far from my home I do smell deer poop and burnt Florida fauna.
I'm sure a steel frame does ride better, but I'm satisfied with my aluminum frame for many years. Frankly, most of my current aerobic activity is on a Me-Mover, although I did ride my bicycle to the Y today.
The reasons I spend more time on the Me-Mover are for the increased workout it offers. Rather than spinning for hours, my heart rate increases substantially in a short period of time, since the MM requires about 20% more energy to propel. Initially, I didn't think the Me-Mover would fit into my exercise routines since my first rides brought on bouts of lactic acid in my legs which surprised me as an avid bicycle rider.
Long story short, I have increased my endurance since the acclimation process about a year ago, my butt no longer gets numb and I have lowered my BP, lost weight since I've been using the MM which pleases my doctor.
Besides it feels good standing, I can see more, and be seen by more.
Old 05-08-17, 03:14 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by CrazyIvan
I spend a good deal of my riding time on public roads rather than bicycle trails, but on the occasion, I'm on a wilderness trail not too far from my home I do smell deer poop and burnt Florida fauna.
The 3 wilderness areas I rangered were Cascade mountainous. Luckily, no machines of any kind in National Wilderness regions; the adjoining local National Forest Service trails may and often do allow bikes on trails, but only for brave hearted and well equipped, given the vertical drop and trail conditions.

Stay well, sounds like you got it mastered. My admiration to you, i'm just a crazy kid at 65 3/4.

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-08-17 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-08-17, 05:33 PM
CrazyIvan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
The 3 wilderness areas I rangered were Cascade mountainous. Luckily, no machines of any kind in National Wilderness regions; the adjoining local National Forest Service trails may and often do allow bikes on trails, but only for brave hearted and well equipped, given the vertical drop and trail conditions.

Stay well, sounds like you got it mastered. My admiration to you, i'm just a crazy kid at 65 3/4.
I got you by about 14 years. good to talk to teeny boppers. Just came back from a mini Me-Mover ride with a quasi HIIT routine.
Fun times. Take care.
Old 05-09-17, 11:22 AM
CrazyIvan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Waking Muscles

I remember the first day I stepped on a Me-Mover, wobbly, felt unstable. But it was me, an avid bicycle rider that wasn't using my stabilizing muscles, my core muscles. I didn't realize it at the time, but I found out soon after.
I've been riding bicycles as soon as I learned how to graduate from a tricycle to a 2 wheeler, about 72 years ago, have done centuries, sprints, HIIT as part of my exercise routines to hopefully stimulate my Mitochondria, but standing on that Me-Mover, different.
As different as a new exercise, something that stimulates rarely used muscles such as my hip area, that had been giving me trouble for some time when I walk certain distances. "Hip pain on the outside of your hip, upper thigh or outer buttock is usually caused by problems with muscles, ligaments, tendons and other soft tissues that surround your hip joint." About 10 days later hip pain gone, core felt tighter because now the Me-Mover has awakened some muscles.
I've been weight training for a long time, know what happens with new weight training routines, break down muscles, then repair them, build them, make them stronger, that's what cross training will do, that's what the Me-Mover did.
Now, when riding my bicycle, I feel the increased energy, the strength I have for sprinting. I know my endurance has increased with the extra effort required to propel the Me-Mover compels aerobic improvement in a shorter period of time.
Besides at 79 years old, a cancer survivor, anything that helps is a gift.
Old 05-09-17, 12:41 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Last Sunday I went to my local velodrome (Frisco Superdrome) to participate in my Texas State Masters Track Championships. Just like last year I won gold, because I was the only participant in my age group (70+). I improved on my time from last year, so that is really all I care about.

https://m.imgur.com/a/qX8TE

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 05-09-17 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-09-17, 05:20 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Last Sunday I went to the my local velodrome (Frisco Superdrome) to participate in my Texas State Masters Track Championships. Just like last year I won gold, because I was the only participant in my age group (70+). I improved on my time from last year, so that is really all I care about.
Kudos.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-09-17, 06:43 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Congratulations! Something tells me you had a good shot even if there had been competition.
Old 05-15-17, 07:58 AM
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Getting a slow start to the season; just over 200 miles so far this year. We will have Spring some time soon I hope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
At ProutsNeck.jpg (100.8 KB, 150 views)
Old 05-21-17, 08:19 PM
CrazyIvan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This age thing is just a number if you want to act your age as some do, and sit their time away as muscles slowly deteriorate, that's their prerogative. Fighting the war of muscle loss can be fun, just takes some motivation, a bicycle, some weights, maybe a Me-Mover to burn calories faster.
It was hot today in central Florida, I rode to the Y for a chest workout on my road bicycle, then later I did some sprints on the Me-Mover.
There should be more discussions on muscle loss from little or minimal use, many are not aware the closest we have to slow the aging process is exercise, the more the better.
Old 05-21-17, 08:51 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Correct that exercise is good. At any age. Especially as the numbers get bigger.
Old 05-22-17, 03:23 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

I my Medicare Advantage Plan. Six years ago I had double hernia surgery, and my total copays for everything including pre-op testing and office visits with the general surgeon plus any meds was about $220. I am now beginning testosterone supplement therapy and my cost is zero, because my PCP says I need it and my copay for office visits at my PCP is zero. The only place where I'm running into a problem is with expensive drugs such as my Statin which is only partially covered by my medical plan, so I'm considering using online coupons from GoodRx instead, which will cut my cost in half.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 05-23-17, 03:47 PM
RonH
Life is good

The only place where I'm running into a problem is with expensive drugs such as my Statin which is only partially covered by my medical plan, so I'm considering using online coupons from GoodRx instead, which will cut my cost in half.
You're on a statin?? You're too healthy for a statin.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-23-17, 04:07 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by RonH
You're on a statin?? You're too healthy for a statin.
Yeah, in spite of a low fat diet, my LDL cholesterol is a bit high and there's heart disease in my family history (dad died at 51 from a heart attack). I'm taking the minimum statin dose of 5mg and also baby aspirin as a blood thinner. An MRI taken ten years ago for a kidney stone also showed abdominal arteriosclerosis, so we're watching that as well. Still, my vigorous exercise routine is helpful, and I don't have high blood pressure problems, so hopefully my modest drug dosages should keep me healthy for the forseeable future.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 05-23-17, 05:11 PM
RonH
Life is good

@TejanoTrackie

My dad had his first heart attack at 53 and had a total of four. I too inherited my dad's bad heart. Consequently my cardiologist put me on a low dose statin in 2008 when I was 64 even though my cholesterol had always been ~165 and my LDL was good. It got my cholesterol down to 95. Who has cholesterol that low? Then in 2014 my cardiologist wanted me to have a hearth cath and he put a stent in my mid-LAD. Those daily statin drugs did a lot of good.

I started doing a LOT of research on "new thinking" about heart health and heart healthy diets. I've learned a lot and stopped taking the statin in 2015. Low fat diets do not work for many heart patients. I always watched what I ate and have learned that many fats are very healthy (olive oil, real butter, avocados and avocado oil, coconut oil, dark chocolate (70% or higher) and many others). I've learned that diet drinks, diet sweeteners and wheat products are on the list of things to avoid.
I'm not saying this diet is right for you and your body. I just passing this on because my wife and I both spent 30+ years in healthcare and are more pro-active about researching things we read about or something our doctors recommend.

It's your life and your body but wanted to share my thoughts.

Old 05-23-17, 05:57 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Thanks for your input and pov. My bad cholesterol levels are a lot higher than yours were, so it seems reasonable to bring them down a bit. As to diet, I'm aware of good fats like olive oil and fish, and definitely avoid diet drinks and other junk foods. I've already outlived my dad by 20 years, so everything beyond this point is a bonus.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 05-25-17, 03:45 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I guess someone died and left Retro Grouch in charge to make what ever rules he wants. I say post if you want to, hang out here if you want to. I can't see what harm it it would do to anyone, so I say go for it.
Old 05-28-17, 10:00 PM
Zurichman2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I guess I can introduce myself and yes I am 66

Zurichman is my handle because I luv Lemond bikes and have a 1998 Lemond Zurich with 20,000 miles on it
other bikes include
2006 Lemond Victoirre with 19,000 miles on it I call her Victoria Secret
recently purchased a 2016 Raleigh Tamland 1 and plan on doing some ultra gravel grinding riding/races now

I guess I might have to admit to getting older as I came down with a nasty bout of painful shingles last Thursday. I am a little pissed as I asked my Doc to give me a shingles shot last check up and he wouldn't give it to me.

I came to cycling in 1992 after a running injury 2 weeks before the Boston Marathon. I had surgery and they botched it. My first ride on a bike was the Hanover Cyclist Labor Day Century ride and I became lost 2 miles from the finish line and have been lost on the bike ever since.

some accomplishments
1990 some Cochise COUNTY Cycling Classis a 272 mile ride in the desert
8 time finisher of the Lancaster Nightmare Tour a 178 mile ride with 16,000 - 18,000 ft. of climbing
2004 Rocky Mountain 1200k finisher
2005 Furnace Creek 508 2 man team Mahi Mahi Furnace Creek 508
2006 RAAM(Race Across America) 4 man team finisher Team Cyclonauts 8 days 10hrs 43 minutes
Cascades 1200k finsher
best one day ride 3 years ago 24 hrs. of Booty 301 mile in 22 hrs running time. I quit with 2 hr to go as I meet my 300 mile goal

hardest one day rides
Highlander Century Tour in the Finger Lakes NY
Assault on Mt. Mitchell

I still want to go out and do all the hard climbing rides including climbing Mt. Washing and a couple of the CA. Triple Crown 200 mile double rides. They rate them in degree of difficulty.

Now wanting to do the Kanza 200. When I get in my high 70's I might do the Seagull Century. Nah it's way too expensive to do a flat century ride. Yes I do have a bucket list goal for my 100th birthday and going out to climb Pikes Peak with some friends this July.

Zman

How do you get the tag line at the bottom of all your post?

Mine is

If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. Been there dun that. Zman
Old 05-28-17, 10:13 PM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Congrats. I too rode up till the day before surgery. Then the doc had me off the bike for 8 weeks. It was a slow start getting back up to speed even though I was just a kid of 71 when I had the surgery.

I am 8 years out and didn't have surgery had a procedure called brachytherapy 1 tx on Monday 2 on Tuesday 1 on Weds and discharged back to work the following Monday. I can't remember how long I was off the bike but it was a long time and about 2 years until I felt like I had my full strength back.

Zman
Old 05-29-17, 08:48 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

@Zurichman2

You can add commentary and quotes to your signature. Go to Bike Forums > User CP > Edit Signature. They will appear at the bottom of all your posts.

Welcome to the 65+ thread.

Originally Posted by Dcv

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 05-29-17 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-29-17, 08:59 AM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
@Zurichman2

You can add commentary and quotes to your signature. Go to Bike Forums > User CP > Edit Signature. They will appear at the bottom of all your posts.

test
Old 05-29-17, 09:46 AM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
@Zurichman2

Test
Old 05-29-17, 10:35 AM
RonH
Life is good

^^^ Glad to see you figured it out.

Old 05-29-17, 10:40 AM
RonH
Life is good

Did my last ride for a while today. I'm having hernia surgery to repair a hernia that was repaired last May. Depending on what the doc has to do to fix it (he said there are 2 options depending on what he finds once he gets in there) I'm guessing I'll be off the bike for 6-8 weeks. The only good thing about this is summer will be about half over when I get back out there.
The neighborhood exercise center is air conditioned so I'll miss the 90+ degree temps with 90+ humidity. But I'll still try to work up a sweat on the treadmill and elliptical trainer.

Old 06-01-17, 08:46 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
In 3 weeks I will turn 69. My 50+ jersey seems passe. I thought of putting masking tape over the 5 in the shape of a 7, BUt it would be better to get a 70+ jersey for next year's (and later) rides. Still using my touring bike. Mind you a folder is nice around town.

Anyone have a source for jerseys?

Apologies for this question, but I have not had getting another jersey until I did a search on the 50+ forum. This question has probably been discussed lots, but I don't have the time to do a bunch of searches through "various discussions".

If anyone knows a source/sources please reply kindly. No need for flames - I am not interested in watching flames (my son is training to be a firefighter in Canada). Thank you from Doha, Qatar (currently 43C and too hot to bicycle during the day).
Old 06-03-17, 12:54 PM
bowzette

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
TT congrats on your "first place" track finish. I'm surprised some of the old time Matrix masters aren't racing track. Yo was but did a face plant several years ago and may not be racing. I thought Skip Sperry raced some on the track. I also take statins. In Jan. we started a high fat, medium protein, low carb diet. I lost 10 lbs and ate like a pig. But it caught up with me and I started taking in some carbs and gained 5 lbs back. The idea is to train the body to process fat for fuel and not carbs. At low to medium intensity exercise I think it works. I don't know how well it works for 2 hr+ higher intensity exercise. I suspect not well.

Since September I've been doing lots of my rides on a trainer using TrainerRoad programs. My HR is 6-10 bpm lower for same workout at same cadence so it seems to be working.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.