Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Old 11-24-17, 08:08 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Lurch
Good reason to ride; the scenery/views:
Very nice image.
Old 11-27-17, 09:47 AM
CrazyIvan

Bikes: Cannondale R600 Triple, Me-Mover FIT 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I weight train I mix it up, if I kept doing bench presses and left everything else alone I'd look like a barrel with skinny legs, which is why I cross train. Yes, I love cycling, but spinning and spinning will go so far, I know it's conditioning that forgets the rest of our bodies.
I trikked for a number of years, but my shoulder was giving me problems, so I switched to a Me-Mover. I understand "new", "different" is almost shunned, something done for years becomes an obsession, nothing can take its place, but it should, our bodies demand diversification, or we fall into a trap of our own making.
The Me-Mover taught me, I needed to work different muscles, the stepping motion was very different than spinning for hours, I felt the difference in the beginning, even after years of bicycle riding, my body needed preparation to propel the Me-Mover.
I acclimated at 78 years old, it didn't take long, but I stayed with it, now I look forward to cross train with my bicycle which seems much easier to propel because I feel my endurance has increased.
Old 11-30-17, 09:04 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Being this retired is a workout (had to stop by a craft brewery on the way home to rehydrate)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Z85 at SanO.jpg (841.2 KB, 337 views)
Old 12-15-17, 05:27 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Took my 16-1/2 year old Litespeed out today. After tinkering with various things on the bike for the last few weeks I'm still hearing a click-click from the crank/BB area so tomorrow I'll be taking the crank apart and pulling the BB so I can get the number off of it and order a replacement. FYI: I replaced a slightly noisy BB in 2007 so after 10 years and several thousand miles I can't complain. I just hope I can find a new replacement of the correct series. The original was an Ultegra and I replaced it with a Dura-Ace. Wish me luck in my hunt for the correct part.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-17-17, 07:29 AM
RonH
Life is good

I took the cranks off yesterday after buying a CCP-44 from the bike shop. I guess I "mislaid" the tool I used in 2007. The BB came out in 3 pieces with bearings falling on the floor. No wonder I was hearing a click-click. Ordered a BB-7700 from Competitive Cyclist last night, so happy birthday to me.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-17-17, 11:23 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
I took the cranks off yesterday after buying a CCP-44 from the bike shop. I guess I "mislaid" the tool I used in 2007. The BB came out in 3 pieces with bearings falling on the floor. No wonder I was hearing a click-click. Ordered a BB-7700 from Competitive Cyclist last night, so happy birthday to me.

Nice to keep a bike running well.
The maintenance beyond tires/tubes and periodically cleaning a drivetrain is minimal given the miles and outdoor access they deliver. I'm facing a BB question - what spindle width for a square taper, double crank?

My intention this winter is to overhaul a few vintage wheel hubs. And ski.

edit: and isn't that Tuscany sweet!?! I always wanted a high-end Litespeed (they had sooo many over the years) or Merlin Extralight. Settled for an Extralight look-a-like, with the shaped stays, probably welded in east Tennessee - great bike to 'settle' with, but still.......
Attached Images
Macalu @ Cedar River.jpg (715.3 KB, 281 views)

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-17-17 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-18-17, 07:05 AM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Nice to keep a bike running well.
The maintenance beyond tires/tubes and periodically cleaning a drivetrain is minimal given the miles and outdoor access they deliver. I'm facing a BB question - what spindle width for a square taper, double crank?

My intention this winter is to overhaul a few vintage wheel hubs. And ski.

edit: and isn't that Tuscany sweet!?! I always wanted a high-end Litespeed (they had sooo many over the years) or Merlin Extralight. Settled for an Extralight look-a-like, with the shaped stays, probably welded in east Tennessee - great bike to 'settle' with, but still.......
Nice looking bike you have. I like those seat stays.
Yes, the Litespeed is still my favorite ride. I researched Litespeed for 6 months before my wife took me to the bike shop to get it. She told me to get the Vortex but I told her I wasn't ready for a bike of that caliber. I'd only been riding for about 1-1/2 years when I bought the Tuscany in April 2001. Getting the Litespeed was one of the best decisions I've made.

Once our out-of-town company leaves this week (Thursday) I'll be doing some major cleaning to the drivetrain and frame.

Just a side note: I guess my 73 y/o brain isn't working these days. I ordered the bottom bracket from Chain Reaction Cycles, not Competitive Cyclist.

Last edited by RonH; 12-18-17 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-18-17, 12:20 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
I have read nothing but good reviews for the Tuscany, and as I stated I was following the titanium bikes back in the late 90s - early 2000.
Old 12-19-17, 01:42 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Yesterday's ride is my new desktop background...
Attached Images
ScreenZ85.jpg (311.8 KB, 261 views)
Old 12-24-17, 09:31 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Good reason to ride; the scenery/views:
Which trail were you on? Just wondering if that was one of the trails we rode around Raleigh on the Mountains to Coast ride in October......
Old 12-24-17, 10:51 AM
Lurch
Fossil

Bikes: Izip E3 Path Plus Step Thru , Raleigh Misceo

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That was on the Meredith College campus near the Hillsborough St. entrance; part of my somewhat convoluted commute route to downtown. It connects to the Art Museum/Umstead Park portions and also down to the Crabtree Creek section near the mall. I am not familiar with the mountains to sea route. Did it include the Crabtree Creek section?
Old 12-28-17, 03:51 PM
RonH
Life is good

The BB arrived today. Sure glad I paid for 2-3 day shipping since it took 11 days to get here.
I installed the new BB this afternoon. Tomorrow will be the first ride on the Litespeed since Dec 15. Hope all goes well.

[edit] I also ordered a new pair of Gore full finger bike gloves. My old ones haven't been keeping my fingers warm lately. So they too will be tested tomorrow. [/edit]

Last edited by RonH; 12-29-17 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-29-17, 10:01 AM
RonH
Life is good

Took the Litespeed out to make sure the new BB70 I installed yesterday was ok. Everything worked just fine.
It was 48F and very gray when I got to the trailhead. Also tested my new Gore bike gloves. They did a good job of keeping my fingers warm. Rode 2 miles and decided it was too cold for my old bones so turned around and went back to the car and headed home.
Maybe tomorrow will be a better day for riding. Its supposed to be 45F at my usual time for getting to the trailhead. I'll wear a heavier jacket.

For those of you who are rolling your eyes because I'm saying 48F is cold, you gotta remember, I live in west central Florida.

Old 12-29-17, 03:22 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
That was on the Meredith College campus near the Hillsborough St. entrance; part of my somewhat convoluted commute route to downtown. It connects to the Art Museum/Umstead Park portions and also down to the Crabtree Creek section near the mall. I am not familiar with the mountains to sea route. Did it include the Crabtree Creek section?
We were on a trail that took us around and north of Raleigh. We wound up in Knightdale that afternoon. I’ve ridden the Crabtree Section some years ago.
Old 12-31-17, 09:12 AM
Chaco

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just want to tell you guys, bicycling at our age might be what saves us when we take a fall. Two weeks ago, I had a freak accident on my bike and broke my femur in half, just below the ball. They put in a long titanium rod with a new ball on top, and I was out of surgery at 5pm. By midnight, I was sitting up and walking to the bathroom. By 6am, I was walking around the floor, going up stairs, and by 2pm, I was released to go home. 4 days ago, my surgeon said I could skip physical therapy and outpatient therapy and do my rehab at the local gym.

I don't attribute this to any special strength -- it was all due to being in good shape from riding around 125 miles a week. I think it also helps that we cyclists always have endure a certain level of pain on a ride and just learn to ignore it.

So my message is keep it up -- it may make the difference between months of rehab and a fairly quick recovery, even if you're almost 70, like I am. I hope to join you again in 4 to 6 weeks!
Old 12-31-17, 11:34 AM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Just told I have heart valve leak. Have not talked to Doc. yet. Any questions I should ask? Discovered during my first heart testing ever. I have no symptoms and routinely ride 20 miles or more - sometimes I really push hard, so I guess at 78 my problem can't be to bad.
Old 12-31-17, 07:35 PM
MidSouthBiker

Bikes: Mr.White Mr.Green Mr.Orange

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Happy New Year to all of the older cyclists here!

Tomorrow brings in not only a new year for me, but also a new chapter in my life, namely Retirement. My last day on my last job was Friday, and today my employment officially ends.

So now instead of being just a weekend warrior, I hope to get in more rides throughout the week. The only problem so far with this week is the uncooperative, frigid temperatures and will chill warnings. Hopefully by the end of the week we will all be back in the saddle again.
Old 01-01-18, 08:51 AM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by ctpres
Just told I have heart valve leak. Have not talked to Doc. yet. Any questions I should ask? Discovered during my first heart testing ever. I have no symptoms and routinely ride 20 miles or more - sometimes I really push hard, so I guess at 78 my problem can't be to bad.
Now days most heart valve repairs are done like placing a stent in an artery. The cardiologist goes thru the groin and you'll be off the bike for 2 weeks tops most likely. The groin area will be TENDER. But you'll have to ask your cardiologist about that.
Good luck.

Old 01-01-18, 04:46 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Now days most heart valve repairs are done like placing a stent in an artery. The cardiologist goes thru the groin and you'll be off the bike for 2 weeks tops most likely. The groin area will be TENDER. But you'll have to ask your cardiologist about that.
Good luck.
Called --->TAVR Procedure
Yep - something to ask about. I don't know what the criteria is for whom this is appropriate. Yes, fairly common in these modern times.
Old 01-01-18, 04:47 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by Chaco
Just want to tell you guys, bicycling at our age might be what saves us when we take a fall. Two weeks ago, I had a freak accident on my bike and broke my femur in half, just below the ball. They put in a long titanium rod with a new ball on top, and I was out of surgery at 5pm. By midnight, I was sitting up and walking to the bathroom. By 6am, I was walking around the floor, going up stairs, and by 2pm, I was released to go home. 4 days ago, my surgeon said I could skip physical therapy and outpatient therapy and do my rehab at the local gym.

I don't attribute this to any special strength -- it was all due to being in good shape from riding around 125 miles a week. I think it also helps that we cyclists always have endure a certain level of pain on a ride and just learn to ignore it.

So my message is keep it up -- it may make the difference between months of rehab and a fairly quick recovery, even if you're almost 70, like I am. I hope to join you again in 4 to 6 weeks!
Well done!
Old 01-02-18, 02:17 PM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Took the Litespeed out to make sure the new BB70 I installed yesterday was ok. Everything worked just fine.
It was 48F and very gray when I got to the trailhead. Also tested my new Gore bike gloves. They did a good job of keeping my fingers warm. Rode 2 miles and decided it was too cold for my old bones so turned around and went back to the car and headed home.
Maybe tomorrow will be a better day for riding. Its supposed to be 45F at my usual time for getting to the trailhead. I'll wear a heavier jacket.

For those of you who are rolling your eyes because I'm saying 48F is cold, you gotta remember, I live in west central Florida.
Having spent a few years in Florida, 2 in Key West and 1 in the Orlando area, it's amazing that you can function at all in 48 degree weather. Are you a transplant.

I know the feeling by the way. My second year in Key West we thought we were going to suffer serious injury when the temp went below 60.
Old 01-02-18, 05:28 PM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Are you a transplant.
Nope. I was born in Orlando and spent all of my adult life in Florida, south Alabama and Georgia. Although I did spend a few years in PA in my "previous life", but I try not to remember that bit.

Old 01-03-18, 04:43 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Nope. I was born in Orlando and spent all of my adult life in Florida, south Alabama and Georgia. Although I did spend a few years in PA in my "previous life", but I try not to remember that bit.
I remember my time in Orlando. I liked it there but it was the year before I returned to cycling (98/99) so I never got to ride some of the places I would if I had the chance now. That was a transition year between getting all the exercise I could handle as a soccer referee and needing the bike to replace that method of exercise. It struck me that the Orlando Area proper wasn't all that bike friendly but it was centrally located and there seems to be good biking within reasonable distances.
Old 01-13-18, 06:00 PM
jstack6

Bikes: dahon folding

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great, I just hit 65+ and I ride everyday. I have 3 folding bicycles and one even has air free Muffin tires (Citizen Miami 20") that is very handy. I've ridden 50+ miles in a day and would love to ride all over Arizona. Of course only in Flagstaff and Sedona in the Summer .
I even rode my bicycle 18 miles each way to work for about 2 years. It's the best exercise you can get. It's also the most efficient vehicle on the planet. I put it in the back of my all electric vehicle and tell people it's my range extender. It can go as fast as you can pedal and as far as you want to with no pollution.
Old 01-15-18, 08:02 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by jstack6
Great, I just hit 65+ and I ride everyday. I have 3 folding bicycles and one even has air free Muffin tires (Citizen Miami 20") that is very handy. I've ridden 50+ miles in a day and would love to ride all over Arizona. Of course only in Flagstaff and Sedona in the Summer .
I even rode my bicycle 18 miles each way to work for about 2 years. It's the best exercise you can get. It's also the most efficient vehicle on the planet. I put it in the back of my all electric vehicle and tell people it's my range extender. It can go as fast as you can pedal and as far as you want to with no pollution.
I really miss riding to work but it's supposed to get down to zero tonite and there is ice and snow on many of our roadways. Less than a year left to bike to work (if Spring ever gets close) as I plan to retire at the end of the year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.