Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

How to remove tight rivnuts

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 06-06-19, 08:37 AM
902_harper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi i need help removing rivnuts on my mtb they are tight but i cant figure out how to get rid of them i am dropping my seat for wheelies and so on
Old 06-06-19, 10:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
This is what this sub-forum is about..................

Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.
It's the description written immediately after the title.

You want to be here..............

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Sorry I'm sounding like an a$$, but that's the way I am. Maybe a moderator will move this for you.
Old 06-10-19, 08:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
dropping my seat for wheelies
???

cut off some seat post length from the bottom if it won't go short enough?
Old 06-10-19, 09:01 AM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 902_harper
Hi i need help removing rivnuts on my mtb they are tight but i cant figure out how to get rid of them i am dropping my seat for wheelies and so on
Rivnuts are only threaded on the inside. They should look a bit like this:

We have them on planes (and mechanics hate them). The best way to get rid of one is to drill it out. Start with a drill with an OD a little bit larger than the Rivnut ID. Basically you keep switching to ever-larger drills until the rivnut breaks. Then turn the bike upside down and shake out the remnants.