Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Hybrid (dual sport) bike fitting question

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 06-21-19, 11:31 AM
fat2fit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

I have a 2019 Dual Sport 2 (trek). I was told the easiest way to determine if my seat height is proper is that I should have my leg almost fully extended with a slight bend in my knee when in the lower position of the pedal. I notice I feel like I'm leaning too far forward, although my knee pain is now gone. What changes can I make? I feel like I'm leaning forward
Thanks

Last edited by fat2fit; 06-21-19 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-21-19, 02:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Depends on what you want I suppose. The more upright you are the more weight that will be supported by your butt. Leaning your body forward, your arms share some of that to give your butt some relief.

If all you do are short rides, then it might not be an issue. However for longer rides you might get into that dreaded delimma of "which saddle should I get?" And the correct answer might not be a new saddle, but to adjust your position to lean forward.

However if you are leaning too much or just want to sit upright till some later date, then raise your bars or shorten your reach to them by getting a shorter stem, or change to a different type bar that shortens your reach.
Old 06-21-19, 02:19 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Try adjusting the seat so it is flat, not tilted forward and raise the handle bars some. You may also be able to slide the seat back or forward on it's rails.
Old 06-21-19, 03:04 PM
fat2fit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Depends on what you want I suppose. The more upright you are the more weight that will be supported by your butt. Leaning your body forward, your arms share some of that to give your butt some relief.

If all you do are short rides, then it might not be an issue. However for longer rides you might get into that dreaded delimma of "which saddle should I get?" And the correct answer might not be a new saddle, but to adjust your position to lean forward.

However if you are leaning too much or just want to sit upright till some later date, then raise your bars or shorten your reach to them by getting a shorter stem, or change to a different type bar that shortens your reach.
How would I move my handlebars up more? So I need a longer stem? Can you link me parts? I could always check my LBS for a different bar. THank you
Old 06-21-19, 03:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
How would I move my handlebars up more?
You probably will have to buy a riser to fit on the end of the steerer tube. Or, more expensive, you can buy a new fork and leave the steerer tube longer. There are other ways too, but someone else will have to elaborate.

So I need a longer stem?
Depends on what you are calling "stem". To me the stem is the part that is more or less horizontal between the handlebars and the steerer tube. The steerer tube is what I think you are refering to, but I don't like to call it that as it confuses what we are talking about. However many do call that a stem also. The steerer tube is the vertical piece that actually goes all the way to the fork and is generally welded or otherwise permanently attached to the fork.

Can you link me parts?
No, you have to do some of the work yourself. But I will tell you that Amazon and Ebay can be very overpriced depending on what you are looking at.

I could always check my LBS for a different bar.
Or check online. Wait to see if any others suggest any.

If you just got this bike, then you might could see if the bike shop will let you exchange it. If you are wanting to sit very upright, a beach cruiser type bike might be more your style. They are intended for an upright sitting position and therefore should be more comfortable.