Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Disc breaks

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-19, 09:40 AM
windershins

Bikes: Nishiki

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disc breaks

I have an old Nishiki Olympic 10 sp. I would like to upgrade to disc brakes but know nothing about them, any info would appreciated.
Old 06-28-19, 09:58 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Do you know how to weld or braze? Converting that frame is going to require disc brake mounts to be welded or brazed onto the frame and fork. It is also going to require you to buy a new wheelset with disc hubs and the brakes/rotors. Seems like more than the bike is worth.
Old 06-28-19, 09:59 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
It could be relatively easy. It could be impossible.

The wheels need to be build with a hub that will mount a disc rotor. You cannot mount a rotor to just any wheel. If the bike was originally set up for V brakes, the odds are slim that your current wheels will work. You can replace wheels but...

Your frame needs to have mounts for disc brakes. This is not something you can gerry rig. The frame has to have caliper mounts built into the frame and the frame has to be wide enough to accommodate the rotor and caliper. If the frame has caliper mounts it can be done. If the caliper mounts are not built into the frame, it's not going to happen.

You may also have to change your brake levers at the handlebars. You for certain will if you want hydraulic brakes. You may have to if you want mechanical.

This is not a cheap swap. Depending on the bike it may cost more than the bike is worth and may end up being easier just to buy a new bike built for disc brakes.
Old 06-28-19, 10:03 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
You would need a major upgrade to do this. You can certainly use your present levers
for a cable operated disc brake. However, disc brakes require specific mounts on the front
fork and the L rear chainstay of the bike frame for the calipers to be attached. You could put a front disc
on by buying a new fork that is disc specific. You would also need new wheel hubs to
attach the disc to the hub. Not for nothing have disc brake makers migrated to 'through axles'
which reduces the tendency of front discs to liberate the front wheel from the fork under braking
torque. A rear disc is more problematic as you would need to weld/braze a caliper mount to the
L rear chain stay, and the rear triangle is almost certainly too narrow to accommodate the disked wheel.
Old 06-28-19, 10:05 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
You can't, realistically.

Sorry.

Look on the bright side: You can get a new bike.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-28-19, 10:49 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
You would need to replace at least your wheel hubs with disc compatible ones, respace the rear triangle of the bike to accept the new hubs, and have disc mounts welded or brazed to the frame and fork.

Those three steps are likely to cost more than a new disc-equipped bike. As well the frame and fork were not designed to handle the amount of force generated by disc brakes, so you will likely eventually have frame or fork failure from this. I'm not saying not to do it - but just know that there are a number of significant challenges associated with the plan.

Other things you can do to improve braking:
If you have steel rims, replace with alloy rims... the function of brake pads on steel rims goes from 'not great' in dry conditions when everything is set up perfectly, to 'damn scary' when wet.
You can (and should) also replace the brake cables and housing with good quality modern stuff.
Also replace the brake pads with new ones. Even if the ones on the bike are good quality, the rubber dries up over the years and they stop less effectively.

Lastly, modern 'dual pivot' caliper brakes are available that will bolt right on in place of the (probably centre pull?) brakes that are on the bike now. You need to confirm that the 'reach' of the brake, as well as the attachment method, are compatible.
Old 06-28-19, 11:06 AM
windershins

Bikes: Nishiki

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott

Sorry.

I think I can get a best up VW for cheaper, even though it would be slower😁😁
Old 06-28-19, 11:09 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by windershins
Yeah but a beat up VW comes with disc brakes standard
Old 06-28-19, 11:10 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
A new, or at least used in good condition, is a better choice, in my opinion. Too complicated and too much money to " upgrade" your present bike. Are you not happy with the brakes the bike has now.? As stated above, There are things you can do to improve the braking on your present set-up. I definitely suggest Kool Stop salmon, orange, brake pads. Get the calipers/levers adjusted right and your bike will brake much better. Otherwise, new bike time.
Old 06-28-19, 11:12 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by windershins
fwiw I just saw a 13 window vanagon keeping a steady 75 on the highway...... course it was flat so that would change on a hill..... but I also suspect not original spec engine

and yes forget disc...... if you must dual pivot brakes and good pads are the best bang for the buck

Old 06-28-19, 11:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
If a rim brake frame? no disc mounts were fitted..

But I built wheels around Drum brake hubs,

to get around that..

Old 06-28-19, 11:41 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott

Sorry.

This is the correct answer.
Likes For Koyote: