Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Craigslist Cannondale R300 CAAD2

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-18, 08:54 PM
crikito

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Craigslist Cannondale R300 CAAD2

Hi All, I know zero about bikes but someone suggested I buy this - is it worth $275 (includes delivery)? Just need something for weekends - short & long distance leisure rides. Thanks for helping!

"Canondale R300 50cm - all tuned up - 24 speed" - that's the only info in the craigslist ad...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike1.jpg (111.5 KB, 209 views)
bike2.jpg (88.6 KB, 205 views)
bike3.jpg (51.5 KB, 204 views)
bike4.jpg (82.4 KB, 202 views)
Old 04-21-18, 09:18 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
It looks like a 1999 Cannondale R300 Triple that’s been converted to a flat bar setup.

In the bike’s original state, which would’ve included a drop bar and STI integrated brake/shift levers, I think the asking price is a bit optimistic. With the flat bar conversion and what I’m guessing are cheap friction thumb shifters, the asking price is too high in my opinion.

Also, how tall are you? 50 cm is a small frame and would likely fit someone who’s roughly 5’2” to 5’4” or so.
Old 04-22-18, 06:24 AM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,248 Times in 1,308 Posts
Those Rapid Fire shifter pods look like the push-push ones from the early 90's (Shimano ST-M050-S). My question would be: can 7-speed index shifters be made to work with an 8 speed cassette?
Old 04-22-18, 09:00 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 189 Posts
This generation of RapidFire shifters was never particularly robust, and won't work with the 8-speed cluster. Whoever did this cheaped out, perhaps stripped the brifters and sold them to defray the purchase cost.

If the bike still had its original brifters & drop bars, and assuming the brifters were fully functional (lubed/ready to go), $275 is a reasonable ask. As presented, I'd be hard pressed to pay more than $150.
Old 04-22-18, 09:40 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by n0+4c|u3
I'm 5'6" and a 50 would be too big.
Also, those are rapidfire, I'm not sure they even had a friction mode. Don't believe they did.
Thanks to you, clang, and bargainguy for an ID on the shifters. As bargainguy suggested, they may be even worse than fricton in this case, since they may be a mismatch for the bike's 8-speed cassette.

I'm a little surprised you'd find a 50 to be too big. As far as I'm aware, most brands' sizing charts, including Trek's would put someone your height on a 52. And my 5'2" daughter could comfortably ride a 50. But I know as well as anyone that we're all a little different when it comes to sizing preferences. I'm about 5'10" and my most comfortable road bike is a 53 -- supposedly a little on the small side for me.
Old 08-07-19, 12:45 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Topping this because there is one of these close by me for sale for $175 - what's the tire clearance like? Could I use this as a gravel bike or is it strictly thinner tires? I can't find much on the specs online.
I did find a lot of reviews that said it's stiff but really uncomfortably chattery ride because of the aluminum frame.
It's the triple up front model, and I'd probably over time replace pretty uch everything.

Question: is it worth it? Was going to offer only $140 because that seems to be the top value I found online. If I can't put 28s or wider tires on it I probably won't bother anyway, thoguh...

Anyone have any insights?
Old 08-07-19, 01:57 PM
bargainguy

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 189 Posts
I'm pretty sure 28's will present no problem on late 90's C-dale road frames, but wider than that is iffy at best.

I don't agree that the baseline ride on a late 90's road frame C-dale is stiff/chattery. Of all the C-dales I've owned, the worst offender there was an '02 R5000Si. My gawd, I thought my fillings would fall out on that one. Bought at a distance without a test ride, the last time I did that!

The late 90's alu frames are nice rides IMHO. Mine showed little BB deflection when standing on the pedals, but was still comfortable enough for all-day rides.

At $140, it's worth a test ride. Let us know how it works out.
Old 08-07-19, 07:49 PM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts
Build this up for my son few years ago. 700x28 fit easy. Went to flat bar and he had a blast on it.
Old 08-08-19, 09:40 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by Kdogbikes
Build this up for my son few years ago. 700x28 fit easy. Went to flat bar and he had a blast on it.
How did he like the downtube shifters?
Also, weird stays/dropouts architecture in the back, there.
Old 08-08-19, 10:55 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
^^^^ Not weird but a later Dale change (canti -rear stays).
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 08-08-19, 11:04 AM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts
He was fine with the shifters. My plans were to go back to drops when I sold it, but when advertised it like this, it sold in a hour and the new owner was happy about the set up.
Old 08-08-19, 01:09 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

If it's still unsold by Saturday, I'm going to go take a look at it, maybe bring a wheel with some wider tires and see if it fits. If I bring it home, one of the first things to go will be that stem. yikes.
Old 08-08-19, 04:59 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Kdogbikes
He was fine with the shifters. My plans were to go back to drops when I sold it, but when advertised it like this, it sold in a hour and the new owner was happy about the set up.
Thats one of the coolest bikes for a kid I’ve ever seen! I have a 1st-gen SR that I also have set up with flat bars and I did 28s as well; it was tight though. No way i could get fenders on mine. It’s before they did the cantilevered stays. Love these bikes!
Old 08-10-19, 05:18 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Going to check this bike out tomorrow.
I suppose there really isn't a way to make it a single speed is there, because of it's lack of adjustable dropouts in the rear?
Old 08-10-19, 07:06 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
I had an R300 from around 2000 that took 28 tires just fine, though I agree anything larger might be tight.
And yes, single speed would be tough without a chain tensioner added on, though you might get lucky and find a gear combo that works for the chain length and your riding. Eccentric bottom bracket is alternative solution that looks better than a chain tensioner but is more of a hassle
Old 08-10-19, 10:26 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by AeroGut
I had an R300 from around 2000 that took 28 tires just fine, though I agree anything larger might be tight.
And yes, single speed would be tough without a chain tensioner added on, though you might get lucky and find a gear combo that works for the chain length and your riding. Eccentric bottom bracket is alternative solution that looks better than a chain tensioner but is more of a hassle
Cool. It’s not a dealbreaker. Currently I’m thinking of making it into a flat bar 1x8. Something that is fun to rocket around the streets on.

Though that would leave the downtube cable guide on one side just kinda hangin out there doin nothing...

this all assumes it even fits me and I get it lol
Old 08-14-19, 12:26 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

I ended up getting this, btw. Looking forward to tricking it out.
Likes For the sci guy: