Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

lets see some of your geared bikes 2016

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

lets see some of your geared bikes 2016

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16, 02:24 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Is the pic/pose location partially based on the flowers on the ground? Purple+purple?
Haha, yes. I don't have a garage door and most of our walls are fairly busy in our backyard so I went to the alley behind our house and was just going to use a cinder block wall but then saw these a bit further down. I thought it worked pretty well!

Old 06-08-16, 02:16 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Work in progress. Don't mind the wheels. Peeled the rear decals off. Decal residue still there because I am super lazy. Shopping for a new wheelset. 2x10 SRAM Apex. Avid BB5's. Continental CityRide 700x37. Rides like a marshmallow.
Old 06-09-16, 12:33 PM
ljrhodes

Bikes: Trek Émonda ALR 4, Trek 7.2 FX Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's a bit hard to see all the doodads on the handlebars, but there's a Garmin Edge 520 GPS bike computer, Bontrager Ion headlight and Sony ActionCam AS20 camera, with the computer and headlight attached to Blendr mounts. And there's also an expandable saddle bag, a Bontrager "amber" rear light, and Shimano A530 SPD pedals. But the most important bit of gear is the cheap plastic bottle cages that are perfect for holding my lunch for my commute to work when I don't want to have to wear a backpack to carry it. They grip it like claws, and it doesn't try to go anywhere, even when riding over bumps.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-...08135033_o.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1920.jpg (104.8 KB, 186 views)
Old 06-09-16, 02:38 PM
motrheadsroadie

Bikes: stinner cx, paramount track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
whats the point of he camera and why are your bars pointed to the sky? dont say "comfort".
Old 06-09-16, 03:00 PM
ljrhodes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by motrheadsroadie
whats the point of he camera and why are your bars pointed to the sky? dont say "comfort".
I'll answer your questions when you ask them respectfully.
Old 06-09-16, 03:40 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Forget about that, is that microwave dinner a burrito or not? Is a burrito comfort food?
Old 06-09-16, 11:13 PM
TenSpeedV2

Originally Posted by Kindaslow
Forget about that, is that microwave dinner a burrito or not? Is a burrito comfort food?
Looks like Swedish meatballs actually. And those bars.....those do not look comfortable at all.
Old 06-10-16, 12:11 PM
ljrhodes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Looks like Swedish meatballs actually. And those bars.....those do not look comfortable at all.
To put it bluntly, I'm fat, and my belly makes it impossible to bend over far enough to stick my head between my knees, so I have to ride in a bit more of an upright position, which means riding mostly on the hoods, and even they need to be up higher than usual for me to reach them without having a stroke while riding. As time goes on, I'll continue to lose weight (I didn't used to be this big, and I rode quite a lot just some years back on another road bike, which is why I still prefer one even now), but in the meantime, this is what works for me. They might not look comfortable to skinny folks who can contort to fit inside carry-on luggage, but believe me, they're far more comfortable to me right now than lower positions.

At the end of the day, though, how people want to set up their bikes is their choice, and while some folks might set them up without understanding how any given setup will actually affect not just their riding but their overall well-being while riding, and while there's never any harm in offering guidance to people who don't understand these things, I will refer back to motrheadsroadie's comment on my setup in saying that it is never okay to be derisive, demeaning, and even downright hostile toward other cyclists just because they don't use our personally preferred setup themselves (which is not what I see in your post, mind you, just in motrheadsroadie's). My setup isn't from a lack of understanding of these things. It's simply out of necessity for my current out-of-shapeness. And that, too, is off-limits for derisive commentary (looking at you again, motrheadsroadie).
Old 06-10-16, 01:36 PM
motrheadsroadie

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
are you triggered
Old 06-10-16, 01:47 PM
johnnytheboy

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Old 06-10-16, 01:51 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by ljrhodes
To put it bluntly, yada yada yada...
You fed the troll.
Old 06-10-16, 02:21 PM
motrheadsroadie

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
just think, with one of those satori steerer extenders and a dimension stem with an ungodly amount of positive rise and you could have the same bars at the same height with level hoods.
Old 06-10-16, 02:37 PM
motrheadsroadie

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
riding a bike with a debilitating illness sucks (ive done it for over 20 years) but if youre really that worried about your health then you should probably cut that prepackaged frozen sodium garbage out of your diet.
Old 06-10-16, 03:41 PM
Kindaslow

riding a bike with a debilitating illness sucks (ive done it for over 20 years) but if youre really that worried about your health then you should probably cut that prepackaged frozen sodium garbage out of your diet.
Fish burritos with whole grain rice!
Old 06-10-16, 03:47 PM
Kindaslow

To put it bluntly, I'm fat, and my belly makes it impossible to bend over far enough to stick my head between my knees, so I have to ride in a bit more of an upright position, which means riding mostly on the hoods, and even they need to be up higher than usual for me to reach them without having a stroke while riding. As time goes on, I'll continue to lose weight (I didn't used to be this big, and I rode quite a lot just some years back on another road bike, which is why I still prefer one even now), but in the meantime, this is what works for me. They might not look comfortable to skinny folks who can contort to fit inside carry-on luggage, but believe me, they're far more comfortable to me right now than lower positions.

At the end of the day, though, how people want to set up their bikes is their choice, and while some folks might set them up without understanding how any given setup will actually affect not just their riding but their overall well-being while riding, and while there's never any harm in offering guidance to people who don't understand these things, I will refer back to motrheadsroadie's comment on my setup in saying that it is never okay to be derisive, demeaning, and even downright hostile toward other cyclists just because they don't use our personally preferred setup themselves (which is not what I see in your post, mind you, just in motrheadsroadie's). My setup isn't from a lack of understanding of these things. It's simply out of necessity for my current out-of-shapeness. And that, too, is off-limits for derisive commentary (looking at you again, motrheadsroadie).
In almost all seriousness, as long as you are riding your bike, that is great. Playing in this playground takes thick skin, though. So, relax about the crap over your bike.

I let myself get out of shape a few years back, and MTBing was my road back to being in good shape. You need to be consistent, you need to work hard, and as noted, you need to re-think you food choices (imo, and his).
Old 06-10-16, 04:28 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
C'mon, you can't put a mailbox under the saddle, a frozen meal in the bidon cages, and a vhs camera on nearly upside down drop bars without expecting a bit of harassment.

Your size and riding ability mean nothing to me, but I'm still going to look at someone funny when I see a frozen dinner riding shotgun.

Old 06-10-16, 07:58 PM
seau grateau

Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
Your size and riding ability mean nothing to me, but I'm still jealous when I see a frozen dinner riding shotgun.
Fixed.
Old 06-10-16, 08:40 PM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by seau grateau
Fixed.
Only if it was Stouffer's spaghetti, that stuff is great for a frozen dinner!
Old 06-10-16, 08:44 PM
seau grateau

Only if it was Stouffer's spaghetti, that stuff is great for a frozen dinner!
Trader Joe's mac & cheese is the holy of holies. Makes me wish I still had a microwave.
Old 06-10-16, 09:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,991 Times in 2,664 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
C'mon, you can't put a mailbox under the saddle, a frozen meal in the bidon cages, and a vhs camera on nearly upside down drop bars without expecting a bit of harassment.

Your size and riding ability mean nothing to me, but I'm still going to look at someone funny when I see a frozen dinner riding shotgun.
Agreed. Even my fat ass doesn't need such weird angles and TV dinners while I ride!

I would love to see Contador pull out a Stouffers lasagne and eat it while going through a feed zone. The team car rolls up with a microwave out the window!

"Ya well when they made me team chef I knew that I needed to change the game for them and I realized piping hot burritos that were frozen in the middle were the best energy food a rider could have, the frozen inside made their stomachs shrink to get into that super aero position and the gas helps keep others off your back" - Tinkoff-Saxo's new team chef
Old 06-10-16, 10:45 PM
TenSpeedV2

Dude. Calm down. Don't take it personally. Don't get the panties in a bunch. It looks atrocious, but if that is what you need to ride your bike, then do it. Make that a goal.
Old 06-10-16, 11:17 PM
Kindaslow

It might sound crazy, but when I commute I carry my spaghetti in my Ortliebs and not the bottle cages....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (103.9 KB, 79 views)
Old 06-11-16, 08:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,991 Times in 2,664 Posts
It might sound crazy, but when I commute I carry my spaghetti in my Ortliebs and not the bottle cages....
Are you mad???? Bidon cages are purely for TV dinners and cans of diet cola.
Old 06-12-16, 04:37 AM
thewilson 

Bikes: CAAD10/Wabi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Are you mad???? Bidon cages are purely for TV dinners and cans of diet cola.
False, I use mine for burritos and beer.
Old 06-12-16, 07:36 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
#actionsandwich

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.