Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hi! We're new to tandems!

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-18, 03:57 PM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

In another thread, someone suggested that I post a photo of our bike. Here it is, along with a bit of an introduction.

After some years of struggling with the fact that I'm a lot stronger (merely because I'm just a lot longer) than my wife, so that cycling together is a bit frustrating for both of us, we decided last year to buy a tandem, on the theory that we each could pedal at a force that was comfortable, and have no trouble staying together.

We watched used ads for months, finally realizing in March that we weren't going to find a decent bike that fit us. I ride a 61cm bike, and my wife rides a 47 cm bike.

Fortunately, one of the (apparently) premier tandem bike makers is located in Seattle--Rodriguez, so we went to their shop, and ordered a bike.

It came last Friday. Our first time getting going brought with it a significant pucker-factor, as did the next many time of starting, stopping, turning, and anything else other than maintaining a steady speed. But we've gotten better in three rides, and have fewer moments of terror than of suboptimal communication.

We realize that we still have much to learn, but we're enjoying it immensely. Most particularly, we enjoy noticing the "tandem smiles" we see in practically everyone who sees us!

Mark
Old 05-02-18, 07:14 PM
WPH

Bikes: 2015 Apollo Syncro tandem, 2006 Scott CR1 SL (still a beastie race bike), 1993 Trek T200, 2006 Fuji Absolute Le, 2000 Thorn Club Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Awesome
congratulations
Old 05-02-18, 08:48 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Riding through town, a common comment from the man on the sidewalk is a shout of "Lucky!" You betcha. Just being together is a lot of fun.
Old 05-03-18, 12:41 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Earlier this evening I saw a couple out on what appeared to be one of their first tandem rides. Their bike wasn't as nice as your Rodriguez, but they had that double smile thing going, and all of us on the sidewalk reinforced their smiles. Tandems really are a joy. Here's to many happy miles for you two.
Old 05-03-18, 09:44 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Thanks so much for sharing and that is a beauty!!

Your story mirror several of us, my wife and I were not at all matched-up on our riding and riding our tandem has balanced that. One of our tandems is a Bushnell which was made in that shop when Dennis was on staff there.
Old 05-03-18, 10:12 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Awesome, enjoy your new ride with your wife.
Old 05-03-18, 12:06 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Yellow! Very nice. Have fun.
Having a standard routine for taking off from a stop, coming to a complete stop, etc. and sticking to the routine is good practice for most teams. And the more communication between captain and stoker the better.
Old 05-03-18, 05:46 PM
124Spider

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the warm response!

My wife and i just celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary--we wouldn't have lasted this long if learning to communicate effectively was a problem!

Last edited by 124Spider; 05-03-18 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-04-18, 08:02 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Originally Posted by 124Spider
I

Mark
So Mark, on your build, it looks like you opted for the ovalized tubes rather then the standard round and it looks like you have the DaVinci cranks which are really nice. What are you using for rear derailleur and what is your gearing? Did R&E do your complete build? We don't see many Rodriguez Tandems out here on the East Coast which is a shame.. Really a nice bike for your first tandem! We celebrate 44 years this June and you are right on the communication. We do have our moments still thought. :-)
Old 05-04-18, 10:18 AM
124Spider

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul J
So Mark, on your build, it looks like you opted for the ovalized tubes rather then the standard round and it looks like you have the DaVinci cranks which are really nice. What are you using for rear derailleur and what is your gearing? Did R&E do your complete build? We don't see many Rodriguez Tandems out here on the East Coast which is a shame.. Really a nice bike for your first tandem! We celebrate 44 years this June and you are right on the communication. We do have our moments still thought. :-)
Wow, I'm impressed! You have sharp eyes and much knowledge!

Our bike is a Rodriguez "Classic Custom Sport," completely made for us by Rodriguez. It is the base build, except we added (i) da Vinci cranks, (ii) disc brakes (meaning we couldn't get a drag brake, alas), (iii) body float shock absorber to save wear-and-tear on the stoker's rear end, (iv) fenders (it rains a lot in Seattle), (v) custom ovalized tubing (supposed to make it stronger, more forgiving up-and-down--for comfort--and laterally stiffer) and (vi) a double-leg kickstand. Also, the paint was "custom level 1," adding $100 to the tab, but this is supposed to be fun!

The rear derailleur is a Shimano Deore 9-speed, with a Shimano 11-32 cassette. The front derailleur is a Microshift triple, with 53/42/30 rings.

And, yes, we "still have our moments," on the tandem and in day-to-day life (if you never disagree, someone doesn't care enough to engage), but we're really good at not sniping, instead suggesting better communication in a kind, productive manner.

And we are having an absolute blast!

Mark

Last edited by 124Spider; 05-04-18 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-04-18, 08:17 PM
Paul J

Mark, I see R&E Cycles posted pictures of your new bike on their Facebook. Great pictures.

Last edited by Paul J; 05-08-18 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-06-18, 10:05 AM
124Spider

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul J
MarMark, I see R&E Cycles posted pictures of your new bike on their Facebook. Great pictures.
That's ours!
Old 05-07-18, 01:38 PM
seajaye

Bikes: 650b traditional rando, 700c SS rando, 700c fast rando..... plus a mountain, folder, and retired urban track in the basement

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks awesome! My partner and I are enjoying our '92 Rodriguez, but we're already talking about our "next" tandem. This is inspiring a lot of envy.

Our first ride on it was commuting through Philly during rush-hour. Then, a super hilly ride with lots of pucker-worthy descents. In a few short weeks (and extremely long rides) we've grown much more comfortable on it. Best of luck with breaking it in!
Old 05-08-18, 09:29 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts

Our bike is a Rodriguez "Classic Custom Sport," completely made for us by Rodriguez. It is the base build, except we added (i) da Vinci cranks, (ii) disc brakes (meaning we couldn't get a drag brake, alas), (iii) body float shock absorber to save wear-and-tear on the stoker's rear end, (iv) fenders (it rains a lot in Seattle), (v) custom ovalized tubing (supposed to make it stronger, more forgiving up-and-down--for comfort--and laterally stiffer) and (vi) a double-leg kickstand. Also, the paint was "custom level 1," adding $100 to the tab, but this is supposed to be fun!

The rear derailleur is a Shimano Deore 9-speed, with a Shimano 11-32 cassette. The front derailleur is a Microshift triple, with 53/42/30 rings.

And, yes, we "still have our moments," on the tandem and in day-to-day life (if you never disagree, someone doesn't care enough to engage), but we're really good at not sniping, instead suggesting better communication in a kind, productive manner.

And we are having an absolute blast!

Mark
Super nice build. Kudos. Our road ride is an off the shelf Raleigh and we opted for a matte black bike and Hi-Viz clothing rather than the other way around but it's all good. FWIW one of the first things I did 10 years ago when we moved to the PNW and saw all the hills (and Seattle is hillier!) was to change out the 30T granny for a 24T. Our cassette is a 12-27 9sp which was common when the bike was new (2005). We haven't ridden that particular tandem in several years but plan to do so this summer and I am in the process of changing the cassette to at least an 11 - 32 if not an 11 - 34 along WITH the 24T granny. IMO that kind of low end gearing should come stock on any tandem sold to a team over ~100 years old (combined). Were I you I would inquire of Rodriguez how you might do likewise. When I changed the granny to 24T I changed the 42T middle ring to a 39 because I worried about the 24 to 42 shift. I shouldn't have. The 24 to 52 shift is effortless!! We like the 39T cruising ring though, FWIW. I have a 50T big ring in the parts drawer not doing much (not anything actually) so that will tame the high end and give the RD a bit of a break, but don't worry about rear derailleur capacity when you work out your gearing. Go crazy, do your gearing the way you want and then see if its a problem. Probably it won't be. There is wiggle in the specifications. Enjoy.
Old 05-08-18, 01:39 PM
124Spider

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks!

We'll test out this gearing, which is lower even than my wife's road bike, and much lower than on my road bike. if we need to have a lower granny gear, we'll certainly do that.

Mark
Old 05-14-18, 12:31 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Super nice build. Kudos. Our road ride is an off the shelf Raleigh and we opted for a matte black bike and Hi-Viz clothing rather than the other way around but it's all good. FWIW one of the first things I did 10 years ago when we moved to the PNW and saw all the hills (and Seattle is hillier!) was to change out the 30T granny for a 24T. Our cassette is a 12-27 9sp which was common when the bike was new (2005). We haven't ridden that particular tandem in several years but plan to do so this summer and I am in the process of changing the cassette to at least an 11 - 32 if not an 11 - 34 along WITH the 24T granny. IMO that kind of low end gearing should come stock on any tandem sold to a team over ~100 years old (combined). Were I you I would inquire of Rodriguez how you might do likewise. When I changed the granny to 24T I changed the 42T middle ring to a 39 because I worried about the 24 to 42 shift. I shouldn't have. The 24 to 52 shift is effortless!! We like the 39T cruising ring though, FWIW. I have a 50T big ring in the parts drawer not doing much (not anything actually) so that will tame the high end and give the RD a bit of a break, but don't worry about rear derailleur capacity when you work out your gearing. Go crazy, do your gearing the way you want and then see if its a problem. Probably it won't be. There is wiggle in the specifications. Enjoy.
One of the first changes we made to our Rodriguez after we rode it home from Seattle to Eugene was also to change the chain rings from the 53-42-30 they put on to 53-39-26. One rarely laments having a lower gear one didn't use, but not having one that was needed is a problem.
Old 05-17-18, 10:58 AM
124Spider

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
One of the first changes we made to our Rodriguez after we rode it home from Seattle to Eugene was also to change the chain rings from the 53-42-30 they put on to 53-39-26. One rarely laments having a lower gear one didn't use, but not having one that was needed is a problem.
Is that as simple as changing the two rings, or is some surgery to the shifter necessary (to accommodate the smaller rings)?

Thanks.

Mark
Old 05-17-18, 11:08 AM
stacysaul

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a great way to spend time together.
Old 05-17-18, 05:54 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Congrats on the tandem!
Been riding as a duo fro over 42 years and are now on tandem #5 !
Covered over a quarter million miles together since 1978 and still riding at ages 85 and 83.
Oh, and we've also been happily married for 63 years.
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 05-21-18, 05:48 PM
Leisesturm

Is that as simple as changing the two rings
It should be as simple as that.
Old 05-21-18, 07:33 PM
dalenjune

Bikes: Dale; 2017 Breezer Radar Expert, 1987 Schwinn Cimmaron and a bunch of projects. June; 2017 Marin Fairfax SC3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, nice ride!

zonatandem, you two are inspring. June and I just started riding together in our 40's on our individual bikes for now but a tandem is in our future for sure. We have only covered 6 miles together so far but I hope we have thousands of happy miles ahead of us.
Dale
Old 01-21-19, 03:19 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Congrats on the tandem!
Been riding as a duo fro over 42 years and are now on tandem #5 !
Covered over a quarter million miles together since 1978 and still riding at ages 85 and 83.
Oh, and we've also been happily married for 63 years.
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
always a great story from You Two. we are still riding our Schwinn Duo Sport and it was encouraging to read your early reviews of the thing when we first started pedaling.

your story is good enuf for the Guiness book of world records, but if not then you hold the record on this forum. blessings.
Old 01-21-19, 03:22 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts

Mark
microshift triple, interesting. just wondering why microshift? better than shimano, or you just like something about micro?
Old 01-21-19, 03:59 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by Duo
microshift triple, interesting. just wondering why microshift? better than shimano, or you just like something about micro?

Sometimes it is as simple as "that is what the manufacturer made available". That was the case with ours. I can't see any difference vs Shimano 105 FD we already have on another tandem.
Old 01-21-19, 05:18 PM
124Spider

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Duo
That's what the folks who made the bike for us specified on it. Since they have an excellent reputation, we didn't question it, and it has been fine (especially after we lowered the low gearing so we could get up steep hills).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.