Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Cannondale Topstone

Old 04-04-19, 09:56 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by Badstoob
The 105 Topstone seems to be rarer than rocking horse poo but the apex model is in stock. Is there anything that you guys would consider needs upgrading from the off? I read somewhere, perhaps on here that a carbon model is coming but cannot find any information.
Interested in a medium Ultegra Topstone for less than the 105 price?
Old 04-04-19, 11:37 AM
itskohler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Already selling it huh?
Old 04-04-19, 11:39 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by itskohler
Already selling it huh?
Everything is for sale..for the right price.
Old 04-05-19, 08:46 AM
itskohler

Everything is for sale..for the right price.
Aint that the truth. Wanna sell the wheels? haha
Old 04-05-19, 09:10 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by itskohler
Aint that the truth. Wanna sell the wheels? haha
Hell yes
Old 04-06-19, 02:07 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
maybe.....
Old 04-06-19, 02:20 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Metieval
maybe.....
Let's talk.
Old 04-06-19, 09:16 PM
Metieval

Let's talk.
like uh talk me into it? haha

honestly it isn't my first choice for a bike.

I am sort of like you SuperX or even caadX > Topstone. If I want a topstone I want a bike more capable of being used as a utility bike like the Niner RLT steel. and it's smooth.

However.....I have been on my single speed and I took my Trek crossrip out the other day... its a serious $%$# pig.. lol and my budget is blown for the superx/ Niner/ revolt advanced 0/
thus Interested in a topstone .. umm maybe..... but on the fence.
Old 04-07-19, 07:00 AM
shoota 

like uh talk me into it? haha

honestly it isn't my first choice for a bike.

I am sort of like you SuperX or even caadX > Topstone. If I want a topstone I want a bike more capable of being used as a utility bike like the Niner RLT steel. and it's smooth.

However.....I have been on my single speed and I took my Trek crossrip out the other day... its a serious $%$# pig.. lol and my budget is blown for the superx/ Niner/ revolt advanced 0/
thus Interested in a topstone .. umm maybe..... but on the fence.
I've never heard anything other than that about the Crossrip. What makes it suck so much??
Old 04-07-19, 11:14 AM
Metieval

I've never heard anything other than that about the Crossrip. What makes it suck so much??
IMO the BB makes it suck. It sucks a large percentage of your inputted watts out and prevents them from reaching the road via tire. and then the Front fork is way over built, yet it still twists and flexes.

for someone that wants to ride 15 mph averages everywhere it's probably an okay bike , or if they came from a walmart huffy. My 52 comes in at 25 lbs with fenders. Sized 52 because of the 387 reach!!!!
Of course I have ridden much better AL frames Cannondale caad 8 R1000, Synapse. even my kineses made dawes SST AL is a better frame/fork

While the Topstone might not be my Ideal bike. it would definitely be an affordable replacement for me. at this point I am tempted to just continue riding my dawes sst all summer as my what ever bike. gravel meh sure, on 25's? sure.... what do I care about beating up $99 flip flop wheels..... LOL

Old 04-07-19, 11:17 AM
Metieval

btw that picture of the BB was before I converted it to outboard from square taper. Swapping cranks and BBs helped, but not enough.... I got $40 for the FS.... too bad you had to saw your FSA up.
then again I sold the FSA to a performance bicycle shop employee..... << you might catch the dig in that comment.
Old 04-07-19, 09:37 PM
shoota 

btw that picture of the BB was before I converted it to outboard from square taper. Swapping cranks and BBs helped, but not enough.... I got $40 for the FS.... too bad you had to saw your FSA up.
then again I sold the FSA to a performance bicycle shop employee..... << you might catch the dig in that comment.
Yeah, way too bad. If I didn't know that was a pic of a Crossrip I would think it was one of a Topstone, they look almost identical and I'd never seen construction like that. Weird. Anyway, I really need to switch over the tires and set them up tubeless on the Topstone to get a better feel for them. I got the position dialed in pretty good so at least that's a start.
Old 05-05-19, 07:06 AM
Badstoob

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What backpacking bags are folks using on their Topstones? I have an Apidura top tube bag and frame bag which kind of fits but I was looking at getting a handlebar bag and saddle bag.
Old 05-05-19, 08:04 PM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Badstoob
What backpacking bags are folks using on their Topstones? I have an Apidura top tube bag and frame bag which kind of fits but I was looking at getting a handlebar bag and saddle bag.
I went Revelate with my Topstone, buy only frame and top tube bolt-on bags. The Mag-Tank bolt-on is pretty great so far, but I'm a bit disappointed that I was only able to fit the small half-frame bag, instead of the medium, on my medium Topstone. It still works well for what I need it for, though.
Old 05-15-19, 07:23 AM
Badstoob

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 105. Needs more orange. I've got some new wheels on the way with orange Hope hubs.

Last edited by Badstoob; 05-15-19 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-17-19, 03:32 PM
Wennnz

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone happen to know a good rear thru axle replacement? Loving my Topstone 105 so far, but when you attach a rack to the back, it interferes with the thru axle handle. Looking for an axle that won't make it so I have to remove the rack every time I want to take the rear wheel off. I'm not sure which axle length I should be looking for, though. Everyone, including Cannondale, has told me 12x142 so far, but that's the hub length, not the axle length.
Old 05-18-19, 09:49 AM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wennnz
Does anyone happen to know a good rear thru axle replacement? Loving my Topstone 105 so far, but when you attach a rack to the back, it interferes with the thru axle handle. Looking for an axle that won't make it so I have to remove the rack every time I want to take the rear wheel off. I'm not sure which axle length I should be looking for, though. Everyone, including Cannondale, has told me 12x142 so far, but that's the hub length, not the axle length.
I went through this with my rack-equipped Topstone 105 recently. The axle levers are adjustable, so theoretically you can loosen it little by little, adjusting the lever every time, but that's a time consuming process.

I bought a Robert Axle rear thru axle using their axle finder guide. Ended up with a Lightning Bolt-on Axle - Rear 12 mm x 162-167 mm x 1.0 Thread. It's longer than the stock axle, but uses a spacer to get the correct length. It's allen-key removable, so interference with the rack and fender mounts isn't an issue.

I struggled to get it threaded when I first swapped things over, but I didn't have much thru axle experience and didn't know the derailleur hanger had to be well lined up before the threads would catch. Once I figured that part out it was pretty smooth to install, and seems to be going strong!
Old 05-20-19, 11:24 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Lava
I went through this with my rack-equipped Topstone 105 recently. The axle levers are adjustable, so theoretically you can loosen it little by little, adjusting the lever every time, but that's a time consuming process.

I bought a Robert Axle rear thru axle using their axle finder guide. Ended up with a Lightning Bolt-on Axle - Rear 12 mm x 162-167 mm x 1.0 Thread. It's longer than the stock axle, but uses a spacer to get the correct length. It's allen-key removable, so interference with the rack and fender mounts isn't an issue.

I struggled to get it threaded when I first swapped things over, but I didn't have much thru axle experience and didn't know the derailleur hanger had to be well lined up before the threads would catch. Once I figured that part out it was pretty smooth to install, and seems to be going strong!
I don't see how a new axle helps here since you can loosen/tighten the stock axle with a 4mm allen key?
Old 05-20-19, 11:35 AM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I don't see how a new axle helps here since you can loosen/tighten the stock axle with a 4mm allen key?
I may be mistaken, but I thought the allen key only loosened the black lever so that you can reset its position. At least, if you unscrew the allen bolt, the axle remains in the wheel, and the lever comes loose. The Cannondale rep in the WeightWeenies thread said they're considering an allen key axle for next year's Topstone.
Old 05-20-19, 11:38 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Lava
I may be mistaken, but I thought the allen key only loosened the black lever so that you can reset its position. At least, if you unscrew the allen bolt, the axle remains in the wheel, and the lever comes loose. The Cannondale rep in the WeightWeenies thread said they're considering an allen key axle for next year's Topstone.
That may be the case but I tried it last night and loosing the axle bolt a little allowed the lever to move out away from the mounting bolt/rack and then I could use the lever to finish off the axle removal. Reverse process for install. Make sense?
Old 05-20-19, 11:55 AM
karlamei

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm trying to get a rack installed, and am struggling. Can you share some photos of your installation? I got a Topeak Explorer MTX rack for disc breaks, but I don't see how I'd get it installed given the location of the mounting holes--- even on the side without the TA lever.
I can install to the mounting hole on the seat stay, but not to the hole closer to the axel. And in the case, it seems like I don't need the disc break offsets?
Old 05-20-19, 12:13 PM
Wennnz

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by karlamei
...it seems like I don't need the disc break offsets?
My local REI where I bought the rack had a Topstone in stock, and we were able to place the rack on the back as a mock-up, because I had this exact concern. Turns out the disc brake model is unnecessary on the Topstone, and I went with the standard MTX rack. Still has the thru-axle issue though.

I think the disc brake MTX rack is for when brake housings aren't flat mount, or aren't limited to the inside of the rear triangle. The REI employees were astounded that it looked like the standard rack fit.

If it truly doesn't work for you, hopefully you can exchange it.
Old 05-26-19, 09:28 AM
GoodNewsEvery1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Is anyone running smaller tires, like 28 or 32, and if so, are there any issues with the lower bottom bracket height with the Topstone? 40 mm tires are nice for a lot of gravel around here but I’m thinking of mounting 28 or 32 mm slick gravelkings on my second set of wheels for routes that are smoother. They would be lighter and quicker than the stock tire for roads/smooth gravel. My only concern is if tires that small might result in pedals striking the ground as they would drop the bottom bracket even more.
Old 05-26-19, 11:24 PM
itskohler

Looking for a little help. Ditched the Sora group and went with a 1x setup using a Sram 1175 cassette and Apex RD. Swapped the wheels while I was at it, and got everything all sorted, except for the RD. When I put thru axle on and tighten it down, it moved the derailleur hanger too close to the 10s cog. I can't for the life of me figure this out short of getting a few 12mm spacers. I measured my wheels acle and it's the same size as the stock wheel.

Does the Apex level come with a different derailleur hanger?
Old 05-27-19, 06:30 AM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Paragon Machine makes 15mm hex/allen combo head through axles. They also sell a 15 mm titanium wrench.

https://www.paragonmachineworks.com/...s.html?cat=426

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.