Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Seeking Track Bike options for a junior racer

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Old 03-02-20, 04:32 PM
Newbie007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am seeking suggestions on low-mid price Track Bike options for a junior racer on concrete and timber velodromes.

My son is 13 years old, tall (176cm (5'8") and in a growth spurt), has alot of power/strength when riding, and is currently working on improving his cadence. He has outgrown his current bike (Planet X pro carbon), and I am looking at what options might be suitable for his size and riding style. Happy to consider new or used bikes.

Thanks in advance :-)
Old 03-02-20, 05:20 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
If your son is 13, in a growth spurt, and has outgrown his current bike, then he'll outgrow the next one pretty soon, too - a well-fitting bike is important. No need to spend top dollar for something he'll use for 2 years max.

Get an affordable aluminum race bike from whatever bike brand is stocked by the shop that you like the best. Dolan TC1, Specialized Langster Pro, Bianchi Super Pista, Felt TK2, etc etc - there are so many options out there.

Or just get a larger Planet X if your son liked it.

Or ask around at the tracks your son trains and races at - many race communities have a facebook group or a message board with stuff for sale.
Likes For queerpunk:
Old 03-15-20, 02:27 PM
2500W

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
There is also a good option to buy certain frame for certain time and complete it with some premium ("eternal") components such as Mavic tubular rims (used in tandems), Sugino 75 BB & cranks, Nitto NJS steel handlebars etc. All these parts could be mounted on another frame when necessary.