Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback
Reload this Page >

Norco owners warning: If you bought a new bike from norco online:

Search
Notices
Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback As a manufacturer or retailer, do you want opinions and feedback on your products or services? Members, do you have an open letter to publish? Here's a place for both sides of the industry to communicate. Also, surveys and Student Data Colllection projects go in here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-20, 02:18 PM
mickeyaaaa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

NORCO OWNERS WARNING: IF YOU BOUGHT A NEW BIKE FROM NORCO ONLINE:

TL;DR: RECORD YOUR SERIAL NUMBER IMMEDIATELY WHEN PICKING UP BIKE!!!

My new 2019 Sight carbon with DVO suspension was stolen. I hadn't even gotten around to looking for and recording the serial number.
No problem, I thought, "I'm sure Norco or the store it was sent to have records of that."

NOPE! Chris at Norco customer service informed me "inventory is not serialized in our system...not connected to a unique identifier in any way."

So, Norco ships bikes with zero records of the serial number.

The retailer has little to do with the sale - they just receive it, assemble it and inform the customer the bike is ready for pickup. It seems the retailers do not view you as "their" customer, so nothing is entered in their own system.

When I picked up the bike there was absolutely no paperwork included, nothing with the serial number printed on it.

The manager at the Retail store mine was sent to was also shocked by this news, and has assured me their practices will change. Yours might not.

You would think that, as a courtesy, and just good business practice:

1. Norco would record such information. and
2. Include a tag or removable Serial # sticker on the bike - so new owner has a WRITTEN record of the serial number right from the time of pickup.
3. The retail store that receives the bike should add the serial number and customer info in their POS sytems. AND.
4. Either Norco or the Retailer should provide SOMETHING printed with the serial number on it with the receipt or copy of invoice so the owner immediately has a copy of the serial number.

ALL of these should be practices in place - I have many years of retail management experience.
- as a normal practice we recorded serial numbers when shipping inventory, and on customer files and on receipts.

PS: Norco, if you are reading this - it was Sales order #SE0041077 - if you somehow magically find the serial number please do let me know so i can register it as stolen.
Old 05-11-20, 06:01 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that your bike got stolen. Bike thieves suck.

I also have many years of retail management experience. Some of the retailers that I worked for registered serial numbers, some didn't. My current employer doesn't. But, you yourself said that you never got around to recording the serial number. That is not Norco's fault. Nor is it the retailer's fault.

Last edited by cb400bill; 05-11-20 at 04:19 PM.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 05-24-20, 11:13 AM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
Absurd.

I've never heard of Norco, so maybe that's half the problem, but how can they not track production of what they are building, in case of a recall or something? If they aren't even tracking production lots/serial numbers of what they are building, they are a certified clown show. I know - I work in engineering manufacturing and lot/production traceability is absolutely everything.
Old 05-25-20, 12:05 PM
mickeyaaaa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
Absurd.

I've never heard of Norco, so maybe that's half the problem, but how can they not track production of what they are building, in case of a recall or something? If they aren't even tracking production lots/serial numbers of what they are building, they are a certified clown show. I know - I work in engineering manufacturing and lot/production traceability is absolutely everything.
I've never heard of Colnago...does that mean they are a clown show as well? Norco is a large Canadian bike builder in business over 50 years and sold in 25 countries - they are up there with Devinci and Rocky Mountain, 2 other major Canadian brands I'm guessing you likely never heard of as well. (more popular in MTB than road bikes). That makes it all that much sadder they claim they dont track serial numbers...great point about what if there is a warranty recall....