Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Rad City long ride today

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Rad City long ride today

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-20, 07:14 AM
Geno929

Bikes: SPECIALIZED SIRRUS 2016 w/ ZIPP 404's & RAD CITY 5 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cool Rad City long ride today

Today I am joining a large group of fit and fast riders on a fifty mile jaunt from Creve Coeur, MO out to Six Flags in Eureka, MO. Very hilly and difficult terrain. Nathan, the owner of Wheelhouse Bicycles is leading this ride. I hope to not get dropped off the tail of this group (30 - 40 riders).
My plan is to try to stay in PAS 1 or 2 and take my medicine riding the uphill portions! I'll try to Regen Brake on the downhill portions. But, I've got 35 to 40 years on most of these riders. So, I'll utilize my Rad City to it's fullest. I think I'll take my charger with me, just in case!
I've never gone this far on any bike at any stage in my life, and never this far on the Rad City. The last 6 miles is all rolling uphill, so I have to maintain some semblance of battery (1 or 2 bars) for the last, and most difficult portions!
Any advice? Wish me luck!
Old 10-11-20, 08:44 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
if their speed is not too fast you may make it. rad's are not the bike for long distance riding. you really need a good mid drive. my bosch powered bike on the second lowest assist level would get my 38 miles keeping it around 20 mph or os much longer if its a little slower. those fat tires and hub just eat up the power.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 10-11-20, 01:42 PM
Geno929

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I made it. Just over 50 miles, 1648 ft elevation change. There were 22 of us. Two e bikes. My Rad City and a real nice Giant E Road. I was last going down the hills and first at the top. Speed limited to 25 mph on downhills is a bummer. But, uphill PAS 2 and driving hard got me to the top. There were 3 ladies that rode very well today. Great bunch of people. Next Sunday? 🌞
Likes For Geno929:
Old 10-11-20, 05:22 PM
fooferdoggie 

sounds like you did good. we did 38 on our e tandem. ended up being a lot of hiss 2800 feet but steep some 15% to 18% and one section 20% grade. we have our tandem geared for hills well but that really eats up the battery. went to this state park we wanted to check out. in the middle of farmland outside portland Oregon. it was closed so no bathrooms but it was raining so even the benches sucked. so we found the one overhang to eat a snack then ride back. we usually get about 40 miles on a battery it should increase as my wife gets stronger. the whole ride was in light to normal rain.

Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 10-11-20, 05:38 PM
Geno929

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Outstanding ride. Good on ya!
Old 10-12-20, 04:53 AM
PhillyGrl

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Did a 26.5 mile ride on my Gazelle Ultimate T10 yesterday. My first longish ride on this bike. We rode all along the Mullica River in New Jersey. Cool and overcast with some breaks of sun, but still a pretty ride. My riding partner was not on an e-bike, so we toured rather than sped. I turned assist off a lot of the time to stay alongside on empty roads. Still a fun and enjoyable ride. i want more!
Likes For PhillyGrl:
Old 10-12-20, 07:16 AM
fooferdoggie 

I have not had any group rides most of my riding ins commuting. I do 25 miles a day on that then I hop on the tandem after I have dinner and we ride 10 to 20 miles on weekdays longer on the weekends. I find a location in google then set it up on my garmin and off we go. so far the longest ride is 45 miles. my wife should be able to go father soon.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 10-12-20, 05:15 PM
WhiteSox Fan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Geno929
Well, I made it. Just over 50 miles, 1648 ft elevation change. There were 22 of us. Two e bikes. My Rad City and a real nice Giant E Road. I was last going down the hills and first at the top. Speed limited to 25 mph on downhills is a bummer. But, uphill PAS 2 and driving hard got me to the top. There were 3 ladies that rode very well today. Great bunch of people. Next Sunday? 🌞
Awesome job.
Likes For WhiteSox Fan:
Old 10-20-20, 01:25 PM
beachball42

Bikes: Trek Verve 2, Trek 4900 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Nice job. Just got my wife's Rad City 3 ST yesterday and waiting on my Rad City 4 to be delivered. Not sure I'll be doing that type of distance but good to hear you were able to get some good miles out of the bike.
Likes For beachball42:
Old 10-20-20, 01:44 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Geno929
I don't understand "Speed limited to 25mph on downhills"
I have a class 1 midrive and a class 2 hub drive.. both restricted to 20mph, and have ridden the class 1 over 40mph on a downhill and the class 2 30 mph on a downhill.
Old 10-20-20, 02:26 PM
Geno929

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On my Rad City with regen braking, at 24.7 mph you can feel the motor restricting speed. It feels like the motor is preventing you from pedaling faster. To pedal faster without restrictions, I put it in PAS 0 and pedal like mad! This restriction is not there in PAS 0, only in PAS 1 - 5.