Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Cross tire diameters

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-20, 07:31 AM
Pianoboy57

Bikes: 2004 Schwinn Super Sport, 2017 Trek Marlin 6, 1997 Raleigh M80, 200? Schwinn Cruiser SS, 1973 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cross tire diameters

I thought that thread about the Subaru Outback was pretty cool. I'm hoping for one someday.

Do cross tires have a significantly larger diameter than the road tire of the same size?

I don't own a gravel bike but conditions in my rural area can cause problems for a road bike with 28mm tires. So I bought some 35s for my ride, a 2004 Schwinn Super Sport which is a flat bar road bike. It falls in that category of not all road bike but not all hybrid.

The Michelin Protek Cross looked great and I really like them. The front went on ok but could use more clearance. The rear wouldn't work. The tire rubber against the brace for the chainstays so I'm sending them back and I'm thinking of the same tire in 700c x 30mm. Will this work or not?
Old 10-28-20, 07:43 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
How much clearance do you have with the 28mm tire installed?
The tires do grow in diameter as well as width, but it's not directly proportional. A lot of this depends on the width of the rim and how much the tire is stretched on it. A narrower rim will result in a "taller" tire. The tread block will also add some height to the tire compared to a slick. YMMV
Old 10-28-20, 08:33 AM
Pianoboy57

Bikes: 2004 Schwinn Super Sport, 2017 Trek Marlin 6, 1997 Raleigh M80, 200? Schwinn Cruiser SS, 1973 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have approx. a half inch or so with the 35s installed. It looks out of proportion to me. There was enough clearance for the brakes. The narrowest place was where a rear fender would attach. It was barely wide enough there but not tall enough there. That may be what happened. The rim is narrow like 20mm and the 35s looked really big after they were installed. I didn't even think about that variable when I bought them. The original 28s looked quite narrow it looks to me like a 32 road tire wouldn't be a problem so if I want a cross tire it shouldn't be over a 28 which would still be adequate for my conditions.
Old 10-28-20, 10:53 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Pianoboy57
I have approx. a half inch or so with the 35s installed. It looks out of proportion to me. There was enough clearance for the brakes. The narrowest place was where a rear fender would attach. It was barely wide enough there but not tall enough there. That may be what happened. The rim is narrow like 20mm and the 35s looked really big after they were installed. I didn't even think about that variable when I bought them. The original 28s looked quite narrow it looks to me like a 32 road tire wouldn't be a problem so if I want a cross tire it shouldn't be over a 28 which would still be adequate for my conditions.
What conditions are you riding in where you need such a puncture resistant tire? That's a crazy heavy tire, I bet it rides like garbage.
Old 10-29-20, 08:59 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
couple of questions there:
Cross tires are 33mm tires, but the tire you mention is not a cyclocross tire, its more of a heavy duty city tire.
Don't worry about the tire looking funny on the rim. I still have some mountain bike rims that have 60mm tires on that size rim.

Personally, I would get a gravel king SK for you. They make a 28mm version and a 32mm version. One of those should do the trick.
Old 10-29-20, 12:16 PM
Pianoboy57

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I removed the 35s and sent them back. I'll check out those recommendations. I was considering the 28 but no more than 30. As for my daily riding conditions, they vary from city to gravel road all in the same circuit that I do on my lunch hour two to three times a week.
Old 10-29-20, 01:11 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Pianoboy57
I removed the 35s and sent them back. I'll check out those recommendations. I was considering the 28 but no more than 30. As for my daily riding conditions, they vary from city to gravel road all in the same circuit that I do on my lunch hour two to three times a week.
When I was in your shoes, I had good results with 30mm kenda kwick, and Panaracer speed max. The former are cheap ($16) and very fast, the latter probably are not available any more (in 30mm size).

https://www.thebikesmiths.com/produc...hoCrCQQAvD_BwE
Old 10-29-20, 01:21 PM
shoota 

This sounds like the perfect use case for 31mm Terreno Drys. I have a couple I could sell you if you're interested.
Old 10-30-20, 12:16 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Terreno Dry

Originally Posted by shoota
This sounds like the perfect use case for 31mm Terreno Drys. I have a couple I could sell you if you're interested.
What is your impression of these tires? Have a bike that maxes out at probably 34 behind, 35 in front. Looking for something that would do "some" gravel in addition to road use. See they offer these in a 33, which would probably work. Do they run true to size? Would be mounting on an internal rim width of 21.
Old 10-30-20, 01:44 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Craptacular8
What is your impression of these tires? Have a bike that maxes out at probably 34 behind, 35 in front. Looking for something that would do "some" gravel in addition to road use. See they offer these in a 33, which would probably work. Do they run true to size? Would be mounting on an internal rim width of 21.
They're a fantastic multi-use tire. Tough and roll nicely. They do run pretty true to size width wise but I'd consider them tall for their width. Your 21mm ID rim will probably help with that, I'll guess the 31mm will measure 33m on that rim.