Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Child seat on a folding bike ?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 10-30-20, 06:44 PM
un.passant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts

I'm a very happy owner of a Birdy that I use to avoid public transports in Paris during covid-19.
However, I thought I could also enjoy bike riding out of town during week-end with my wife and my baby. I'd get another folding bike to get out of town and store in the basement.
But I'd need to be able to carry a 2 yo and I'm not sure what my options are. Baby seats don't seems to easily accommodate folding bikes and the one I've seen explicitly state that they should only be used on bikes with wheels of 24" or plus.
I only weigh 60kg so total weight is not an issue. However, I would not attach a baby seat to an aluminum seat post. I was thinking about getting a Pacific Cycles Reach STD (or making a more custom bike with that frame) hoping that maybe a standard steel seat post could be strong enough or that there could even be enough room to attach a baby seat support on the frame under the seat post.

Any advice would be very welcome !
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-03-20, 02:35 AM
Blackstrida_A_

Bikes: Strida SD, SDe, Evo, Strida efneo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Bonjour un.passant,

sadly, I don’t speak French at all but I’ve noticed a similar request recently at forum-velo-pliant, that again leads to this thread, perhaps you find something helpful over there:
https://www.forum-velo-pliant.fr/vie....php?f=6&t=201

Personally, I think that folding bikes and child transport is a very delicate problem generally.

Don’t get me wrong; but for example that is anyway a very clever, if not to say ingenious, idea…
…just what about the safety aspect for the child?

On your place, I’d take a closer look at this product locally:
https://add-bike.com/kit-transformat.../addbike-plus/

Regards,
Chris
Old 11-04-20, 05:24 PM
un.passant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts
Bonsoir,

Merci pour toutes ces informations. Actually, I am extremely concerned by safety. As you understood, it is not just about what is possible : I just saw a child seat attached with zip-ties !
I also saw child seats attached to seat posts on folding bikes, instead of the seat tube. While I only weigh 60kg, I would still be worried about the strength of aluminum seat posts designed to be as light as possible. Hence also why I'd be interested in a Pacific Cycles Reach which is a foldable bike with a more standard geometry (i.e. with a "normal" seat tube). However, the child seats I'm considering mention wheel size requirements «Vélos 26 et 28 pouces» ! ☹

Thanks for the add-bike link. I might use this for my vacations at my holidays home where bikes outnumber cars, but would not feel safe enough to use this in Paris ☹.
Old 11-04-20, 09:28 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by un.passant
I'm a very happy owner of a Birdy that I use to avoid public transports in Paris during covid-19.
However, I thought I could also enjoy bike riding out of town during week-end with my wife and my baby. I'd get another folding bike to get out of town and store in the basement.
But I'd need to be able to carry a 2 yo and I'm not sure what my options are. Baby seats don't seems to easily accommodate folding bikes and the one I've seen explicitly state that they should only be used on bikes with wheels of 24" or plus.
I only weigh 60kg so total weight is not an issue. However, I would not attach a baby seat to an aluminum seat post. I was thinking about getting a Pacific Cycles Reach STD (or making a more custom bike with that frame) hoping that maybe a standard steel seat post could be strong enough or that there could even be enough room to attach a baby seat support on the frame under the seat post.

Any advice would be very welcome !
Thanks in advance.
I am not a fan of child seats being mounted to folding bikes at all. There may be some that will work, but I am not comfortable with them. I use a child trailer instead. This gives me more room for the kids (and other items) and I don't worry about them falling.
Likes For Pinigis: