Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

MTB or Road Shoes?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

MTB or Road Shoes?

Old 10-17-20, 11:30 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
jist knock it off. Go back and read all I wrote about this and figure it out. Here is exactly what I’m getting at with you - sarcastic stretching of what I said and putting word in my mouth. Work on the reading comprehension and get back to me.
I am not putting words into your mouth. You just don't like being taken at your word. Did you not claim a 30 percent increase in power output by choosing clipless over platforms? Did you not claim that you have a good technique on platforms, yet still managed a 30 percent increase in power output.
Here, let me repost what I added above, since you probably haven't seen it:
Originally Posted by CargoDane

Edit: As for the "resume": I'm not the one making outrageous claims about power output increases. So how about you did your resume, or at least posted some evidence of your power output measurements. And also a video of your technique on both types of pedals.

I struggle to think how one can even achieve a 20-22 percent loss by going to platforms - unless that person was really bad at keeping the foot on the pedal and fell off every half rotation, and/or the bearings were completely shot or something.

How about you coming around to my place and show me how I can put out 30 percent more power by simply switching from my pinned platforms? Not interested? I'd love to see your superior technique, since you're claiming you're good with platforms, yet could achieve a 30 percent increase in power output by merely switching pedals.
Evidence, please.
Old 10-17-20, 04:53 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
cool it Cargo, I know its an internet forum, but don't get so worked up.
You prefer flat pedals, cool.
I use both sometimes, but prefer spd, its cool too.

life is too short to get all worked up on the interwebs with strangers.
happy riding
Old 10-17-20, 05:13 PM
marchman321

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have used Lake and Shimano MTB shoes with SPD cleats for many years on tour and commuting. I have wide feet so I get either 4E in running/walking shoes or in bike shoes they're known as "HV" or "High Volume". For commuting SPD cleats just get me to work and back home a total of 10 minutes faster - and over a week that adds up to an 50 minutes I would otherwise spend on the road. I don't like toe clips and I have never been able to get used to them.
Old 10-17-20, 07:08 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
I am not putting words into your mouth. You just don't like being taken at your word. Did you not claim a 30 percent increase in power output by choosing clipless over platforms? Did you not claim that you have a good technique on platforms, yet still managed a 30 percent increase in power output.
Here, let me repost what I added above, since you probably haven't seen it:

Evidence, please.
gets some help getting a life away from BF. You’ve got a ways to go too. Until then, we’re done.

no news to repost anything. I could care less about what you have to say at this point.
Old 11-11-20, 03:30 PM
pcunite

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Warbird 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Good news, Lake has come out with something they call CX Comfort Plus Last. Will be available in an updated CX 201. The toe profile is much better.
Old 11-11-20, 04:59 PM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by pcunite
Good news, Lake has come out with something they call CX Comfort Plus Last. Will be available in an updated CX 201. The toe profile is much better.
Interesting, just read about this. But it is pricey. Looks like it will dry out quickly. Larger toe box. I will have to check them out.

https://lakecycling.com/products/cx-201