Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bringin' home the groceries

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Bringin' home the groceries

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-15, 01:47 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
Towing a trailer is amazingly easy. Often, I don't feel it at all. This is what I used when I lived in the suburbs. Easy to ride and easy to load and unload. They sell for a lot when new but much less when used. Suburban drivers seemed to think I had a little kid in it, so they drove around me carefully. I've towed well over 100 lbs without much trouble.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-01-15, 03:25 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I use a pair of SunLite Grocery Getter panniers on a Jandd rack. Each one holds a regular grocery bag. They're big enough for me.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 10-01-15, 03:29 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

One thing that might help is a change of mindset, if you're currently shopping by car. You may not be able to carry as much on the bike as you can in a car, but if you're close enough to ride, it might be justified to make more frequent trips to the store. We moved (back) to NYC two years ago, and it took a while to get used to. Generally, people buy two bags of groceries. Often, we carry them home on foot.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 10-01-15, 03:53 PM
cvskates

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chefisaac
I like the trailer. Does it feel weird when pulling it? How does it corner? Any issues to know about upfront?
Issues: It will change your life. I can't say enough good things about this trailer. Even my wife, who originally balked at the price got on board.

Tows like a dream, far better than my Bob Yak (although they're not really designed to do the same thing), corners great (but I don't race when I'm getting groceries ).

One of the places we get groceries is only 2 blocks away, so I find i walk with it as much as I ride my bike with it.

Upper Bag: Burley Travoy Upper Market Trailer Bag - REI.com
Lower Bag: Burley Travoy Lower Market Trailer Bag - REI.com
Old 10-01-15, 05:47 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle
Thanks for all the great ideas. I just can't see myself ever hauling a trailer. I have a car for when it's necessary and I'm not on any kind of crusade.
That was kind of uncalled for. You did ask. Don't knock anyone's truth until you have tried it. Trailers rock (and roll)!
Old 10-01-15, 06:01 PM
Carson Dyle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
That was kind of uncalled for. You did ask. Don't knock anyone's truth until you have tried it. Trailers rock (and roll)!
Sorry if you were offended. I appreciate the ideas, including the ideas of using a trailer. The more the merrier, but I have no need or desire to ever use a trailer.
Old 10-10-15, 05:49 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
I can find the trailer but not the upper and lower market bags. Do you have a link by chance?
Look on Amazon...

If you have a good LBS (Local Bike Shop) they should be able to order them for you. FWIW Burley doesn't discount stuff. There are 4 different bags available. Large Shopping, Small Shopping, Upper Transit, Lower Transit. My trailer came with a bag, I believe it is the Large Shopping bag. It is used to store the trailer in when it is collapsed.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 10-10-15, 09:05 AM
LongKayak

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, Blix Aveny

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The storage bag can be used, but IMO the actual lower market bag is superior for that purpose.
Old 10-20-15, 11:57 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I wanted to get groceries by bike. I knew that a week's worth of groceries without an actual cargo bike was out of the question, so I rigged up a box and platform on our InStep child trailer. It works awesome. A grocery trip is 8 miles round trip for me, and I do it without much trouble. Only thing is that I have to block out 2 full hours on a weekend day to be able to grocery shop by bike, which can be a hassle if we have a particularly busy weekend.

I typically ride to Aldi, get some stuff, then go across the street to Walmart and get some more stuff, then go home.

Old 10-20-15, 07:24 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I wanted to get groceries by bike. I knew that a week's worth of groceries without an actual cargo bike was out of the question, so I rigged up a box and platform on our InStep child trailer. It works awesome. A grocery trip is 8 miles round trip for me, and I do it without much trouble. Only thing is that I have to block out 2 full hours on a weekend day to be able to grocery shop by bike, which can be a hassle if we have a particularly busy weekend.

I typically ride to Aldi, get some stuff, then go across the street to Walmart and get some more stuff, then go home.
Good job!

I'm jealous... my closest Aldi's is close to 14 miles away. I bet you could increase your capacity a bit by going to two slightly smaller containers mounted sideways.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 10-21-15, 02:42 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'd considered some Wald folding baskets but wanted to make it as easy as possible to remove excess weight since I have only one bike and didn't want to tote empty baskets for exercise and pleasure rides.

For now I'm using what I already had around - a rolling insulated bag that bungees easily to the rear rack. That usually holds a week's worth, or three typical plastic or paper sacks. So far, so good, after three or four weekly trips the past month. The metal rack that supports the rolling bag and telescoping handle fit almost perfectly across the Blackburn rack. The only improvement I need is some new bungee cords - the old cords had already lost their snap and are badly frayed already.

Occasionally I need just a bit more and strap a smaller insulated bag over the handlebar. It works but it's awkward and slow. So I'm considering a quick release Wald front basket since the QR and basket both attach and detach easily. Good enough to hold a smallish insulated bag with some ice cream, yoghurt, etc.

Attached Images
Old 10-21-15, 08:33 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Originally Posted by wahoonc
Good job!

I'm jealous... my closest Aldi's is close to 14 miles away. I bet you could increase your capacity a bit by going to two slightly smaller containers mounted sideways.

Aaron
haha, already tried it last year and the aero drag was tremendous in comparison. Felt like I had a full load even when the boxes were empty. The box I use now is taller but narrower.

Old 10-21-15, 03:52 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I went shopping at work and put the groceries in my backpack. I took the subway to my evening rehearsal. Then I rode Citi Bike (NYC's bike share) home, 4.4 miles. I had at least 20 pounds of groceries. I managed, but it was not pleasant. I should have put some of them in the bike's basket. I didn't think of it at the time.

Old 10-21-15, 06:32 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

haha, already tried it last year and the aero drag was tremendous in comparison. Felt like I had a full load even when the boxes were empty. The box I use now is taller but narrower.
Interesting... I guess my travel speeds aren't fast enough for me to notice the aerodynamic inefficiencies.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Likes For wahoonc:
Old 10-22-15, 08:14 AM
PatrickGSR94

Originally Posted by wahoonc
Interesting... I guess my travel speeds aren't fast enough for me to notice the aerodynamic inefficiencies.

Aaron
Neither are mine - grocery trips average 9-10 MPH for a little over 8 miles. But I could still feel the difference. And any day where I was heading into the wind with the double box setup, it was way worse.

It wasn't just the aero drag, it was also the additional weight. Single box just works better in a longitudinal position, if you get a box that's large enough for your needs.

On the weeks we get toilet paper I always end up tie-strapping it down on top of the box lid. Looks pretty funny rolling with TP strapped on top.
Old 10-22-15, 06:19 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle
Sorry if you were offended. I appreciate the ideas, including the ideas of using a trailer. The more the merrier, but I have no need or desire to ever use a trailer.

Why?

I use panniers 80% of the time for groceries, but there are 4 panniers, my wife's and mine.

Trailers are good for a lot of things

Last edited by Doug64; 10-22-15 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 04:44 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Makes sense

Neither are mine - grocery trips average 9-10 MPH for a little over 8 miles. But I could still feel the difference. And any day where I was heading into the wind with the double box setup, it was way worse.

It wasn't just the aero drag, it was also the additional weight. Single box just works better in a longitudinal position, if you get a box that's large enough for your needs.

On the weeks we get toilet paper I always end up tie-strapping it down on top of the box lid. Looks pretty funny rolling with TP strapped on top.
My speeds are probably 6-7mph average. I have quite a few rolling hills to contend with, and I typically ride an upright IGH. Yeah the TP on the rack gets them every time. Especially when you walk out with it and walk up to the bike. I have had an audience more than once watching me load all my groceries up on the bike.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 10-27-15, 11:56 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
I used trailers when I still lived in Germany. Here is the US I use my Ortliebs Backrollers. Bought them in 93 and they are still holding up. The nice thing is that you can swap them between bikes which have a rack. But I also have a 80s Gazelle which I equipped with the Wald baskets. But I was not aware how small they are compared to the Ortlieb. Plus the Ortlieb provide protection against the rain.
I have been thinking about a trailer but I don't know yet what model. I like the Burley Travoy but with bags this trailer is really pricey. Much more than I want to spend.
My mom in Germany has one of these.
Amazon.com : Veelar Bicycle Cargo Trailer & Hand Wagon Shopping/Utility Trailer 70 Liter Capacity-20315 : Cargo Carrier Bike Trailers : Sports & Outdoors
The fun part is, that you can unhook it and use it as a shopping cart. I even still have the ball hitch on my bike from the time when i still lived there.
But any other trailer with removable baskets might do as well. But I am not sure yet really need one.
Old 11-02-15, 03:03 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 69 Posts
This is on a fairly racy CX bike, and a superlightweight Tubus Flay rack. Those things are surprisingly tough!

Old 11-02-15, 09:49 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@Harhir, trailers are expensive when new but are often quite inexpensive on the used market. I've bought a few at rummage sales and on craigslist. Check out google alerts if you don't know about them. You can set up search terms such as "bike trailer site:newyork.craigslist.org" and then learn when there is a new listing. This is how I got my current two trailers. I paid $60 and $90 for them respectively. If I had waited, I could have paid less. Both of them are kiddie trailers. I've removed the backs and sides so they are flatbeds now. One is steel and has 16" wheels. It collapses very small. The other is aluminum and has 20" wheels.

Likes For noglider:
Old 11-03-15, 05:58 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
Yes I thought about that too. One can find cheap kids trailers and convert them. We have had one years ago which we gave away to friends. But it was a Burley D'light and I thought this trailer was too good to rip it apart while my friends could use it for their little daughter.
But I am checking Craigslist occasionally. Right now my panniers work great for most of the shopping I am doing by bike.
Old 11-04-15, 02:02 PM
tramptrade 
Some Canuck on a Bike

Bikes: Cannondale, Brodie

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use my home-brew panniers for light grocery shops or my trailer for bigger loads.
Old 11-10-15, 01:43 AM
Fstop

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez Triple; 1994 Bianchi Advantage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I use an Axiom Journey rack (~$40 and rated for 150 pounds) with a pannier for smaller grocery loads, and a trailer for larger loads. I leave the pannier on my utility bike 100% of the time, just in case I want to pick something up as I'm out and about.

If you're into DIYing, I absolutely love my bucket pannier - converted from a kitty litter bucket via a kit sold by the city of Portland (https://www.portlandoregon.gov/trans...article/181468). It holds a bunch (gallon of milk + more, whole heaps of papers, etc.), is super sturdy, has a solid lid (so light things don't go blowing away), and it's waterproof. Here's my utility bike with rack and bucket pannier:

@Harhir: Here's a walkthrough of how I converted a kids bike trailer into a cargo trailer (How to convert a child bike trailer into a cargo trailer: an illustrated guide | Marc Perkins Photography still using that same trailer two years later, and I just hauled 90 pounds of groceries home in it a few days ago:

Chalk me up as being in the @noglider camp on trailers; I was worried how it would feel riding with one initially, but after just a single trip I completely fell in love with it. It's opened possibilities for far more utility cycling than I could do otherwise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20151027_175542.jpg (99.8 KB, 508 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20151103_120142 copy.jpg (103.2 KB, 502 views)
Likes For Fstop:
Old 11-10-15, 10:19 PM
Lovespicyfood

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by slomoshun
These REI Novara panniers will haul 3 bags worth of groceries. Use one or both, they clip to a standard rack and can be installed/removed literally in two seconds per side.

Novara Nucleus Commuter Pannier - Pair - REI.com

WOW, those are nice! I was thinking collapsible baskets on my rear rack but these are tempting and not terribly expensive...
Old 11-30-15, 07:52 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@Harhir, trailers are expensive when new but are often quite inexpensive on the used market. I've bought a few at rummage sales and on craigslist. Check out google alerts if you don't know about them. You can set up search terms such as "bike trailer site:newyork.craigslist.org" and then learn when there is a new listing. This is how I got my current two trailers. I paid $60 and $90 for them respectively. If I had waited, I could have paid less. Both of them are kiddie trailers. I've removed the backs and sides so they are flatbeds now. One is steel and has 16" wheels. It collapses very small. The other is aluminum and has 20" wheels.
i got mine for 30 bucks from Craigslist - the fabric is in shabby shape, but i had been planning on making a plywood deck for it like some of you gents have done
Why am i not posting pics? I still havent started using it yet sadly. I live in an area where the suburbs start to end and the small acreages/hobby farms begin and the roads are not very bike friendly during commuting hours

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.