Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Beginner with an Electra 1

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Beginner with an Electra 1

Old 08-20-20, 09:49 AM
dark_n_stormy

Bikes: Electra 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Question Beginner with an Electra 1

Greetings Cruiser forum - happy to say this is my first post and my first step into Cruiser territory. And wanted to start my journey with an older Electra. I believe I have the standard C1, but not 100%. Got this from a local guy in Georgia who was selling a lot of his bikes (expensive mountain bikes) and this old girl was sitting in the back of his garage looking at me. I got it fairly inexpensive and feel fairly lucky as for some reason, Electra is back logged on stock and distribution now...and preferred to go with a used one.

This will be my basic beach, minimal hills cruiser, and need some help from the group here. Please understand - I am new, so some of these questions may be very basic. And of course, been googling a LOT in the last week or so.
I would like to upgrade the wheels/tires to something bigger. I saw kirby999 had a great post on his wheel upgrades on his C1, but not sure if my frame will allow bigger tires/wheels.

Right now I have standard Innova 57-507, 24x2.125's and hoping to see if I can upgrade to say 26" with some meatier tires.

Anyone know on this frame, what my maximum size is for new wheel and tire size upgrades?

I am also looking for an online shop to find some good prices on wheels and tires. Anyone have any recs? Again, not looking for titanium here - but just a solid wheel for basic durability.

I have a wonderful bike shop here in Marietta that I may hit up to see what they recommend, but would prefer to have a better idea here - before venturing in.

Many thanks in advance. Unfortunately I cannot post pics of my C1 because I am still under 10 posts...
Old 08-20-20, 03:42 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by dark_n_stormy
Greetings Cruiser forum - happy to say this is my first post and my first step into Cruiser territory. And wanted to start my journey with an older Electra. I believe I have the standard C1, but not 100%. Got this from a local guy in Georgia who was selling a lot of his bikes (expensive mountain bikes) and this old girl was sitting in the back of his garage looking at me. I got it fairly inexpensive and feel fairly lucky as for some reason, Electra is back logged on stock and distribution now...and preferred to go with a used one.

This will be my basic beach, minimal hills cruiser, and need some help from the group here. Please understand - I am new, so some of these questions may be very basic. And of course, been googling a LOT in the last week or so.
I would like to upgrade the wheels/tires to something bigger. I saw kirby999 had a great post on his wheel upgrades on his C1, but not sure if my frame will allow bigger tires/wheels.

Right now I have standard Innova 57-507, 24x2.125's and hoping to see if I can upgrade to say 26" with some meatier tires.

Anyone know on this frame, what my maximum size is for new wheel and tire size upgrades?

I am also looking for an online shop to find some good prices on wheels and tires. Anyone have any recs? Again, not looking for titanium here - but just a solid wheel for basic durability.

I have a wonderful bike shop here in Marietta that I may hit up to see what they recommend, but would prefer to have a better idea here - before venturing in.

Many thanks in advance. Unfortunately I cannot post pics of my C1 because I am still under 10 posts...
Depending on the tire itself , 2.5” are about the limit on the C1’s .
I like Maxxis Hookworms 26x2.5” . They are great street tires .
Old 08-21-20, 07:44 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Electra C1

The C1 only has a coaster brake, yes? So that means brake mounting wouldn't be an issue.

However, 26 x 2.125 tires have an outside diameter of approximately 26". So, 26" - 24" / 2 = 1" difference in spacing needed at the frame and fork.

If you measure from the top of your 24" tire to the underside of the fork crown, do you have more than 1" of clearance? Same for the rear tire, does it have more than 1" of clearance on the outside diameter of the tire as it passes through the 2 points of the frame?

Last edited by FiftySix; 08-21-20 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-21-20, 10:51 AM
dark_n_stormy

FiftySix - many thanks for that! I just measured the back and have a few MM over an inch - front is just at an inch where the headtube comes down a hair through the front fork. I'll see if I can post a picture for you. May be by tomorrow as I need 10 posts.....pita
Old 08-21-20, 10:52 AM
dark_n_stormy

And thanks Kirby for the clarification...Im looking at options now.
Old 08-21-20, 02:18 PM
OldCruiser

I didn’t notice until now that you have 24” wheels on your C1 ? I think you may have something other than an Electra Cruiser 1 .
Old 08-24-20, 06:25 AM
dark_n_stormy

Originally Posted by kirby999
I didn’t notice until now that you have 24” wheels on your C1 ? I think you may have something other than an Electra Cruiser 1 .
Kirby - well, I think it is a "24" Cruiser 1 Step Over" according to their new model: https://electra.trekbikes.com/us/en_...olorCode=black

Posting a couple pics below...I just wish I could upgrade to 26" wheel/tire setup.

Last edited by dark_n_stormy; 08-24-20 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Forgot pics
Likes For dark_n_stormy:
Old 08-24-20, 07:01 AM
dark_n_stormy

Originally Posted by FiftySix
The C1 only has a coaster brake, yes? So that means brake mounting wouldn't be an issue.

However, 26 x 2.125 tires have an outside diameter of approximately 26". So, 26" - 24" / 2 = 1" difference in spacing needed at the frame and fork.

If you measure from the top of your 24" tire to the underside of the fork crown, do you have more than 1" of clearance? Same for the rear tire, does it have more than 1" of clearance on the outside diameter of the tire as it passes through the 2 points of the frame?
FiftySix - stopped by my local bike shop (authorized Electra dealer) and had a quick chat. The tech said it would most likely not be possible to go larger on the front of this bike due to clearances. But I am not so sure. Attaching pics below.

Pardon the blue tape - Im doing a little spit and polish on the 24" wheels. It is very close for the 1" gap you spoke about. Even weirder - look at the state of that weld spot under the hub. I may need to grind that back a bit.

Do you think there is a difference with the Electra fork for a 26" setup vs 24" setup? Was thinking if there was, potential upgrade to the taller fork....I assume the basic 24" step-over frame is same as 26" frame, so that would lead me to know for sure.

Old 08-24-20, 07:09 AM
OldCruiser

I stand corrected. Nice looking bike .
looking at your pictures , you might be able to fit 26” wheels with 1.5” tires but the overall diameter would be about the same .
Maxxis Hookworms come in a 24x2.5” size and would increase your overall height some and would roll and ride better than what you have now .
Old 08-24-20, 07:21 AM
OldCruiser

Here’s a couple pictures of my old black Electra C1 with its stock tires on it and one with upgraded wheels and 26x2.5” Maxxis Hookworms .
Going with a wider tire also increases the overall wheel diameter. The fenders barely fit with the tire upgrade .

Old 08-24-20, 07:25 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
FiftySix - stopped by my local bike shop (authorized Electra dealer) and had a quick chat. The tech said it would most likely not be possible to go larger on the front of this bike due to clearances. But I am not so sure. Attaching pics below.

Pardon the blue tape - Im doing a little spit and polish on the 24" wheels. It is very close for the 1" gap you spoke about. Even weirder - look at the state of that weld spot under the hub. I may need to grind that back a bit.

Do you think there is a difference with the Electra fork for a 26" setup vs 24" setup? Was thinking if there was, potential upgrade to the taller fork....I assume the basic 24" step-over frame is same as 26" frame, so that would lead me to know for sure.
That's looking a bit tight. What I didn't mention before is you also have to consider if the fork curves inward enough to rub a 2.125" wide tire. Same goes for the rear tire where it goes through the seat stays and chain stays.

It would seem that if you really want to go from 24" wheels to a 26" wheels, you would have to get a narrower set of 26" tires, which would also have a smaller outside diameter. Which might give enough clearance both under the fork and at the fork width near the crown. Maybe a 1.75" wide tire would fit, where the 2.125" tire would rub (especially if the wheel goes untrue while riding).

You really need a tire diameter measurement for different widths of 26" tires to see if it might fit on your 24" bike.

Last edited by FiftySix; 08-24-20 at 07:29 AM.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 08-24-20, 10:29 AM
OldCruiser

I should have asked to begin with .
How does the bike fit you ?
A lot of the high dollar Electra Cruisers , like the 8 Ball , and the Ghost came with 24”x3” tires and wheels .
A 24” Cruiser 1 , as long as the frame is big enough , would be a great platform to build a custom Cruiser .
I’d go wider in the rear , , with a 1.75 tire up front . Maybe add some mini Ape bars ? springer fork ? Brooks B-67 ?
With the 24” , you’re already lower than a 26”
Old 08-24-20, 12:51 PM
dark_n_stormy

I should have asked to begin with .
How does the bike fit you ?
A lot of the high dollar Electra Cruisers , like the 8 Ball , and the Ghost came with 24”x3” tires and wheels .
A 24” Cruiser 1 , as long as the frame is big enough , would be a great platform to build a custom Cruiser .
I’d go wider in the rear , , with a 1.75 tire up front . Maybe add some mini Ape bars ? springer fork ? Brooks B-67 ?
With the 24” , you’re already lower than a 26”
Kirby...Have a B67 on way now...looking at Ape bars....do you have any idea how I would size up the right set of springers? I imagine the sizing here is uber important like head tube diameter and length of fork for a 24" wheel, etc....they do look great on an Electra though...
Old 08-24-20, 01:06 PM
OldCruiser

Kirby...Have a B67 on way now...looking at Ape bars....do you have any idea how I would size up the right set of springers? I imagine the sizing here is uber important like head tube diameter and length of fork for a 24" wheel, etc....they do look great on an Electra though...
I wish I knew everything about sizing and putting a springer fork on an Electra .
I have read that Electras have a tall head tube and are hard to find a springer fork that fits
I’d love to put a springer on mine .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 08-24-20, 02:34 PM
OldCruiser

I did a little research and found the head tube on an Electra Cruiser is around 1/8” longer than most springer forks .
Also read that some folks didn’t care for the springer fork on a “ regular” cruiser bike . Read they can mess up the steering and handling of a bike .

​​​​​​I could always do like we did when we were growing up . Just take a hacksaw to a donor fork , cutting the arms off and hammer them onto the forks , flipped of course to give that chopper look . Just don’t do any wheelies , the fork ends might come off . 😱
Old 08-25-20, 05:23 AM
dark_n_stormy

I did a little research and found the head tube on an Electra Cruiser is around 1/8” longer than most springer forks .
Also read that some folks didn’t care for the springer fork on a “ regular” cruiser bike . Read they can mess up the steering and handling of a bike .

​​​​​​I could always do like we did when we were growing up . Just take a hacksaw to a donor fork , cutting the arms off and hammer them onto the forks , flipped of course to give that chopper look . Just don’t do any wheelies , the fork ends might come off . 😱
Interesting! I keep going back to this picture from jmpierce in his post....he is showing a pic of a fairly basic springer that fits an Electra....I am going to tryu and search for this one and see what comes up. Clearly the main bike fork and springer fork need to be almost the exact same length - and the step-down arm from the hub to the springer can be used to accommodate the difference here. Really interesting stuff.
Old 08-25-20, 06:01 AM
OldCruiser

I found this one last night .
https://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike...nger-fork.html
its long enough fir an Electra . You’d have to use spacers or cut the tube to fit .
I also was looking at some triple tree chopper style front forks that were adjustable. Looks like a nice option .
I like the triple tree . I’m not worry about the spring action . I was thinking more of a a chopper look like the Electra Ghostrider .
I was going to buy a Ghostrider but waited too long and Electra dropped them from their line .
I did get a Fat Tire . Most I’ve ever paid for a bike , but it’s fun to ride . Gets a lot of comments.
I’ll post a picture later when I get home.

Last edited by OldCruiser; 08-25-20 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-25-20, 07:01 AM
dark_n_stormy

kirby999 please do! Would love to see that pic.
Old 08-25-20, 07:08 AM
OldCruiser

kirby999 please do! Would love to see that pic.
A picture of the Fat Tire is in the Brooks thread .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 08-25-20, 08:12 AM
OldCruiser

Electra 7d Fat Tire. Since this picture was taken , I’ve swapped out the twist grip shifter for a trigger shifter.

Old 08-25-20, 08:19 AM
dark_n_stormy

Amazing ride! Waiting patiently on my B67....
Likes For dark_n_stormy: