Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Best fenders for Bike Friday NWT

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-20, 07:54 PM
freckles

Bikes: BF NWT, Tern Short Haul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

i want to install fenders for my bike friday nwt. i love by nwt by the way!!!! haven't been able to actually travel but have ridden it up local hills in los angeles.

their website shows 3 different kinds with one being just the rear fender by planet bike.

other is an sks fender set with stays
last is an sks with single bolt- like the one BF used to make

i've read the singe bolt fenders can be problematic (not stable) and looks kind of funny but i see them on a lot of BF's so maybe they are ok?

the fender set with stays doesn't specifically say it fits the nwt model and does say that the stays do need to be modified to fit.

i'm getting ready to place an order on rose bikes and i believe they sell both options.

Or is there another fender option? i want a set that will be stable and effective.

can the nwt be folded into a suitcase with the fenders on? if so- i'd go for the fenders with stays.

i love my new edulux II(!) light but it isn't easy to move bike to bike so i'm going to buy the b&m luxos b (don't need the usb charger) for my commuter and move the edulux to my nwt.
Old 10-27-20, 08:07 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Call Bike Friday at their 800 number and ask them the pros and cons of each. They are very helpful with their bikes and accessories. Roger
Old 10-27-20, 10:54 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
You can also post your question of the BF Facebook community page and you will definitely get some advice. https://www.facebook.com/groups/bike...d=177147215204 You should join anyway, if you're on FB, it's a fun and active community with lots of great ideas and pics.
Old 10-27-20, 08:04 PM
freckles

Bikes: BF NWT, Tern Short Haul

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
yes, i emailed them and they said the sks with fender stays fits the nwt but with modifications and can be a hassles to take them on/off if packing my bike frequently.

maybe i'll try the single bolt one first.

and thanks, i will post on fb as well.

was curious to hear anyone with real world experience with their nwt fenders.
Old 08-14-22, 11:55 AM
amyvegan

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I am about to order a bike friday NWT and read some reviews the fenders are floppy and noisy which, if true, will drive me crazy. Can anyone confirm? Thanks so much.
Old 08-14-22, 02:49 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by amyvegan
I am about to order a bike friday NWT and read some reviews the fenders are floppy and noisy which, if true, will drive me crazy. Can anyone confirm? Thanks so much.
Yes, it is true relative to more typical fenders, but, at the absolute level it is no real issue. I would look for other problems in life.
Old 08-14-22, 02:56 PM
amyvegan

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
other fenders?

Originally Posted by 2_i
Yes, it is true relative to more typical fenders, but, at the absolute level it is no real issue. I would look for other problems in life.
LOLOLOL. Funny. Would you recommend other fenders or stick with the stock BF fenders?
Old 08-14-22, 03:33 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

LOLOLOL. Funny. Would you recommend other fenders or stick with the stock BF fenders?
On a folding/travel bike you need to be resigned to more compromises than on a regular bike. The one-bolt fenders that BF offer allow for quick dismounting or mounting of the fenders when taking the bike apart for travel or putting it back together. If you mostly plan to toss the bike into a car trunk, without the need to break the bike apart, you can be fine with SKS fenders with stays. However, the price with the latter is the longer work when fitting the bike into a suitcase. I.e., you may decide where to push the compromise.

Have I been bother by the BF fenders being somewhat flimsy? Yes. Was it enough to push me to swap them with other fenders? No. Looking at the cost breakdown for my BF NWT, the fenders got lumped with other items and clearly were a low cost item. A possible solution could be for you to start with the BF fenders and swap them with SKS, that can be obtained from other vendors than BF, possibly at a lower cost, if you do not like those original ones.
Old 08-14-22, 06:46 PM
amyvegan

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
thanks so much for your thoughtful reply. true. or no fenders.
:-)
but it does rain where i live, portland, so for sure. try 'em and replace 'em later.
thanks for the good advice.
Old 08-15-22, 04:48 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 73 Posts
I have the BF fenders on my Crusoe. They work OK, but not as well as real full fenders (SKS, etc). The rear does bounce around quite a bit, but it isn't noisy.
Old 08-15-22, 08:22 PM
amyvegan

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
thanks. BF sales guy today told me to....NOT BUY...the fenders on the new bike. appreciate your feedback.

Last edited by amyvegan; 08-16-22 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-15-22, 09:08 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Put a fender on the front and use an AssSaver on the back. Worked fine for me and didn't create packing issues.
Old 08-16-22, 09:03 AM
amyvegan

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
AssSaver?

Originally Posted by linberl
Put a fender on the front and use an AssSaver on the back. Worked fine for me and didn't create packing issues.
AssSaver? LOLOL.
I'll google that.
Funny. Thanks.

(Oh, and I have a typo above, i meant to type BF "sales" told me to get non-BF fenders).
Old 08-16-22, 09:10 AM
2_i 

(Oh, and I have a typo above, i meant to type BF "sales" told me to get non-BF fenders).
You can go back and edit your message if you notice an error or want to add info.