Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Good yet inexpensive rain jacket

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Good yet inexpensive rain jacket

Old 11-04-20, 05:19 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
I got one of these about 4 years ago and after about a year the white, waterproof coating on the inside of the jacket started delaminating. In addition to rendering the jacket non-waterproof, every time it was worn, I ended up looking like I rolled around in baby powder from all the tiny white flakes covering my clothes. In fact, everywhere I went, it shed white flakes all over everything around me.

It was pretty disappointing, because I otherwise liked the jacket and have been buying Marmot stuff for decades. Wrote to Marmot about it and got no response. No more patronage from me for them.
I had two Precip jackets that the inner layers delaminated in the collar area, and one that the pocket's stitching failed. I've also had a Showers Pass jacket that delaminated around the collar. I now use a Showers Pass Elite and a REI Novara jacket, and am happy with them. My favorite is the new REI jacket that is on sale right now for less than $50.00. This is half price for a nice jacket.

REI Rain Jacket

This is an older REI jacket that I used for commuting and riding for 13+ years. It still breathes and keeps me dry.
It has faded to almost white in the back and shoulders. You can faintly see the REI trademark. The bright green color is close to the original color on the flap. It has been used a lot!

This is the Showers Pass Elite, expensive, and IMO not any better than the REI Coop jacket. We had 35 days of rain on this trip.

This a is the REI jacket. This one is an earlier version of the one that is on sale.

This was one of the less expensive Showers Pass Jackets. It delaminated around the neck after about 4 years. SP did give me a 20% off coupon on another jacket. I did not use it. My wife's Showers Pass jacket also delaminated.

Last edited by Doug64; 11-04-20 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-05-20, 06:39 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Doug64, what are your thoughts on rain jacket hoods?
Old 11-05-20, 12:23 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
Doug64, what are your thoughts on rain jacket hoods?
I don't like them for riding, but that is just a personal preference. I think hoods can interfere with peripheral vision. My left eye has some damage which makes it hard for me to see over my left shoulder when checking traffic during a left turn. I tend to rely on my mirror, probably more than I should. I need all the clear vision I can get. I do like a hood on my non-riding rain jacket.

The hood does not need to be used when riding, and it does come in handy when off the bike or in a torrential downpour while on the bike. I find that a helmet cover and the way the necks of rain jackets are designed keeps most the the water from going down my neck.

One of our daughter's rain jacket has a hood. I've never seen her use it while riding, but she does use it while in camp or playing tourist on foot in the rain.

I think a hood for bike riding is really a personal preference.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 11-06-20, 06:46 AM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I am not Doug but I don't like hoods. My wind jacket has one and I tie it in a knot when I use for cycling. It flaps all over the place when not wearing and blocks my views when looking over my shoulder, I have no problem when wearing though. I usually use that jacket for backpacking though.

That is a good price for a rain jacket from REI, $50!!
Likes For balto charlie:
Old 11-06-20, 08:45 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
I prefer hoods. But maybe I use them a tad differently than most people.

As most of you, I too find it difficult to turn my head with a hood on and actually see anything but the hood inner, but I have found a way: I also wear a cap with a brim in the front and tighten the hood a little as well as not needing the hood to be all-forward. Not only does that keep the sides close to the skin, the cap brim help turn the opening of the hood, rather than just your head inside of the hood. It works splendidly, and it stops water going down my neck.

You could also use the hood inside the helmet for the same effect if you use a helmet. Or if you have long hair (as my daughter): The pony tail will help turn the hood if the hood is tight.

But when stopped is when a hood is really great - even if it's not raining. That's when you really appreciate the extra warmth (or rather, the less heat escaping) - especially when it's freezing and windy.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-06-20, 10:05 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
But when stopped is when a hood is really great - even if it's not raining. That's when you really appreciate the extra warmth (or rather, the less heat escaping) - especially when it's freezing and windy.
I use a rain cover in cool to cold weather for that reason. I spent a month in Iceland a few years ago, I never took my rain cover off of my helmet for the entire trip.

My second photo above in post 16, the rain jacket and rain cover were both used because it was a cold day. But the pavement was dry, not raining.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 11-06-20, 10:09 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I use a rain cover in cool to cold weather for that reason. I spent a month in Iceland a few years ago, I never took my rain cover off of my helmet for the entire trip.

My second photo above in post 16, the rain jacket and rain cover were both used because it was a cold day. But the pavement was dry, not raining.
I wasn't saying you couldn't acheive the same sort of result by any other means. I just find my setup works better for me. And it even works when you take the helmet off to do something away from the bike, in camp,etc.