Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Fuji Marlboro folding MTB? Or does it?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Fuji Marlboro folding MTB? Or does it?

Old 08-24-11, 01:15 PM
HaChayalBoded

Bikes: an old Fuji folding piece of **** contraption thingamabob.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vondavis51
OK, now I'm stoked...but I'm going to take a couple hours, tomorrow, and go watch the Salida, CO-Stage start of the US Pro Cycling Challenge...how could I not? It's about eight blocks from where I live. Not on the Fuji, though...but on my 'race bike': an 'oval-tube rainbow-frame' Pinarello, 1984 model. It's a criterium bike I bought in '86 from a former racer, and I still ride it every chance I get.

As for the Fuji...last year I found a complete, fairly new MTB in a dumpster at the local landfill...all OK except for a pair of flat tires. The bike is a 'Trail Head', 'Trailridge' model, with Shimano STI 200GS shifters, derailleurs and brakes, and 170mm cranks.
I'd like to strip it for the parts to put on my Fuji folder, because the Fuji actually fits me pretty good, and the dumpster bike's frame is too short and too small for me. (I'm 6', 150# ) I could use a little advice, though, about the rear derailleur, though... on the dumpster bike, the derailleur is bolted directly to a tapped hole in the frame, and the Fuji's derailleur is affixed to a metal plate which fastens to the frame. What will I have to do to mount the derailleur to the Fuji plate?
The Shimano STI, of course, is a 21 speed, and the Fuji is a 15 speed...I'll need to use spacers, from the junk bike's rear axle, right? Like I say, I'd appreciate any and all advice. Thanks, in advance.
can we get a closeup of that? Mine uses the axle as a hanger.
Old 09-10-11, 09:31 AM
negril

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought one of these Fuji's at a yard sale. I'm trying to fold it but it doesn't to want to move. I don't want to force it. Is there something else besides the quick release clamp and removal of the seat post to get it done? There is a "V" shaped hook at the bottom swivel joint. Does that have to be moved by any chance? Thanx
Old 09-10-11, 10:12 AM
CabezaShok

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm waiting for someone to install an Xtra-Cycle kit onto one of these Fuji folders..It would be the cheapest way to get a FOLDING cargo bike at the prices you Folks are finding them for!
Old 09-10-11, 01:55 PM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
hey, i just followed you and this link over from the utility forum. i wasn't thinking about it when i started my cargo bike project, but i have two of them. one is my faux fixie (really a three speed coaster brake)

the other is mostly stock except for a suspension fork. since i've already started my cargo project i can't see myself using the other one for it. maybe if i stumbled across a third one though...

edit, just realised that's not the latest version of the bike. i changed to a seat post luggage rack 'cause the one pictured messed with how it folded.

Last edited by Philphine; 09-10-11 at 02:14 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-10-11, 11:15 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by negril
I just bought one of these Fuji's at a yard sale. I'm trying to fold it but it doesn't to want to move. I don't want to force it. Is there something else besides the quick release clamp and removal of the seat post to get it done? There is a "V" shaped hook at the bottom swivel joint. Does that have to be moved by any chance? Thanx
"V" shape hook is just a stand to prevent the big Chainring from hitting the ground.

The swivel joints might be rusted. Try putting some penetrating oil in there and probably losen the screws.

Last edited by DVC45; 09-10-11 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-12-11, 06:02 AM
negril

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you. I finally got it moving. Works nice. Needs cables and some tires but basically original and all there. Paint is a little faded but no big deal. Paid $15 for it on Saturday. Quite a find. No kickstand or evidence of one every being there. Do your bikes have one?
Old 09-12-11, 10:10 AM
HaChayalBoded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kickstand was located in the center bottom between the crankset and rear wheel.

How do you guys stumble across these deals, it's driving me mad. Where are you located?
Old 09-12-11, 10:14 AM
HaChayalBoded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Philphine
hey, i just followed you and this link over from the utility forum. i wasn't thinking about it when i started my cargo bike project, but i have two of them. one is my faux fixie (really a three speed coaster brake)

the other is mostly stock except for a suspension fork. since i've already started my cargo project i can't see myself using the other one for it. maybe if i stumbled across a third one though...

edit, just realised that's not the latest version of the bike. i changed to a seat post luggage rack 'cause the one pictured messed with how it folded.

I'm liking the 3spd coaster setup. I had rear derailers, something seams to always go wrong with them. I see you have a few of these, want to get rid of one?
Old 09-12-11, 06:50 PM
zverowd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fuji fold up

Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
I'm liking the 3spd coaster setup. I had rear derailers, something seams to always go wrong with them. I see you have a few of these, want to get rid of one?
I'm new to this forum, but I am selling a very good condition "Marlboro bike" my wife picked up for very little at a garage sale years ago. It drives very nicely for its age and weight. I am wondering if there is any reader in the Chicago area that would be interested in it for $75? I am in a western suburb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN1016.jpg (97.0 KB, 352 views)

Last edited by zverowd; 09-12-11 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old 09-14-11, 09:41 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
sorry, just wandered back to this thread. but no, i want to keep both. they make a nice starting point for casual cruiser projects.
Old 09-19-11, 08:19 AM
vondavis51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zverowd: I'd be interested in your Fuji Folder...if we can figure out how to ship it to Salida, Co. $75. would be fine. As I recall, when I took delivery of mine from Marlboro, the wheels were dismounted, and the bars and pedals were set up as if to fold...do you have access to a bike shop's cardboard shipping cartons? Maybe reinforce them with other cardboard panels from apple boxes from the local supermarket? Pls. advise... thanks! G. Hill vondavis51@gmail.com
Old 02-09-12, 01:01 PM
HaChayalBoded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder what this guy is smoking. https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_2288wt_1164
Old 02-12-12, 11:49 AM
DVC45

' might come with a pair of used lungs.
Old 02-14-12, 06:58 PM
marley mission
people's champ

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
dont know - i just picked up the same bike in great shape for 15$ off craigs - wish it was that easy to flip a $2000+ profit
Old 02-15-12, 05:15 PM
itsmoot
in cog neato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a smokin' deal.
Old 02-21-12, 06:59 AM
negril

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought one of these last year at a yard sale for $25.00. It took about two days of soaking with penetrating oil to free up the folder but it works great. Gears and brakes work fine also. I can't decide what I'm going to do with it. Hardly any rust or blemishes. Its been sitting since. Nice bike.
Old 02-21-12, 11:43 AM
DVC45

Originally Posted by negril
I can't decide what I'm going to do with it. Its been sitting since. Nice bike.
it needs to get ridden.
Old 02-27-12, 01:31 PM
HaChayalBoded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marley mission
dont know - i just picked up the same bike in great shape for 15$ off craigs - wish it was that easy to flip a $2000+ profit

Hey Jason, I couldn't reply to you on the other forum, but I could definitely use another one of these, I noticed you put it on CL for $200, if you're willing to let it go for (A LOT) less then I could take this one off your hands.

Eddie
Old 03-04-12, 08:04 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 86 Posts
I have one. to fold, remove seat post. That's it.
But once folded, then what. Too fat to fit in any box. Still rather long and won't fit in small car trunks.

The fit is quite intended for apes. Short legs with really long arms. the top tube is a few inches longer than a comparable non-folder. And the stem is a bit long too.

I rebuilt mine. The frame is surprisingly light cro-mo but many of the components are hideously heavy. The only aluminum was the rims. The cranks were abs covered cast iron with the pedal threads stripped out. A single speed conversion was the result. I rebuilt with a nice new single ring crank with guard, single speed freewheel on the existing bolt on wheels, new seat, v-brakes, brake cables, fold in pedals, new 1/8" chain. Removed the shifters, ders, shift cables, etc.

It still needs a shorter and taller stem for me (and most normal proportionally sized people). I'm thinking it's going to the local frame builder for a cut and rebraze. The qr stem allows you to remove the stem & bars for easier transport. Its a unique 1-bolt stem and no other stem will take a qr seat post bolt for easy removal.

The marlboro versions were never sold but sent as 'rewards' to faithful smokers who collected plenty of coupons from the cig packs. The bike was one of the more expensive items in their annual rewards catalogs. So the heavier smokers chose bikes they would never ride to get the most for their habit. I see plenty for sale ranging from $50 to several hundred. Sometimes still in the box they were delivered in.

The bike rattles when I ride it due to the folding design.
Old 03-05-12, 04:06 AM
HaChayalBoded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickpaulos
I have one. to fold, remove seat post. That's it.
But once folded, then what. Too fat to fit in any box. Still rather long and won't fit in small car trunks.

The fit is quite intended for apes. Short legs with really long arms. the top tube is a few inches longer than a comparable non-folder. And the stem is a bit long too.

I rebuilt mine. The frame is surprisingly light cro-mo but many of the components are hideously heavy. The only aluminum was the rims. The cranks were abs covered cast iron with the pedal threads stripped out. A single speed conversion was the result. I rebuilt with a nice new single ring crank with guard, single speed freewheel on the existing bolt on wheels, new seat, v-brakes, brake cables, fold in pedals, new 1/8" chain. Removed the shifters, ders, shift cables, etc.

It still needs a shorter and taller stem for me (and most normal proportionally sized people). I'm thinking it's going to the local frame builder for a cut and rebraze. The qr stem allows you to remove the stem & bars for easier transport. Its a unique 1-bolt stem and no other stem will take a qr seat post bolt for easy removal.

The marlboro versions were never sold but sent as 'rewards' to faithful smokers who collected plenty of coupons from the cig packs. The bike was one of the more expensive items in their annual rewards catalogs. So the heavier smokers chose bikes they would never ride to get the most for their habit. I see plenty for sale ranging from $50 to several hundred. Sometimes still in the box they were delivered in.

What kind of car did you put it in? I put mine in an 60's mini and another hidiously tiny contraption of a car. Unless you're talking about a smart car it'll fit in practically anything. But yes, it is larger folded than most folders with 20" or smaller wheels.

Mine and another I rode did not rattle. And I ride in Brooklyn, where the potholes have been known to swallow volkswagons.

Would love to see what you will do with yours. Since you mention the frame is light, any chance you can weight just the frame and compare that to the weight of another bike or two's frame weight?

If I ever get mine back I plan on changing a lot of things around, I really like the frame, but you're right, with all the stuff on it it is pretty heavy, but then again I am riding in order to exercise, this isn't exactly a race bike.
Old 03-05-12, 09:33 AM
zverowd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fuji saga

I sold mine for the asking price to a guy driving in from the suburbs and parking away from the office because of parking expenses downtown. He didn't care about the weight, obviously. My bike didn't rattle, but, yes, the stem reach was long. Otherwise a nice solid bike, and a conversation piece as well. It's interesting to read about the permutations some of you are doing to make the bike lighter and "upscale". More power to you-here's to unconventionality!

David
Old 03-05-12, 10:02 AM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 86 Posts
The bike is completely built up now so I won't be weighing frame. Sorry.

here is a picture of mine.

cars? Mgb, vw nb, mazda 323. Yeah I have/had small cars.

Folded, it won't fit in a trico iron case or a standard bike box or a cannondale bike box.
Likes For rickpaulos:
Old 03-05-12, 08:15 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
A decent bike with quick release wheels will be a little easier to get into most trunks. Also a better shape for a car trunk. My Corolla and others.
And a lot lighter. Much easier to put in the car for one with a bad back. Low end folding bikes are too hard to get into a car compared to most of my road bikes, and my best mountian bike. Even to get it in my Subaru wagon. I sold my Dahon folder it was a lot harder to get in any car, with my bad back. It was a great ride with two high psi slicks.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 03-05-12 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-06-12, 01:12 AM
DVC45

Originally Posted by rickpaulos

Mine don't rattle. But yes, I agree that the stem is quite long. I installed Trekking bars to resolve this issue.
Old 03-06-12, 01:48 PM
itsmoot
in cog neato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ditched the stock QR stem on mine since it weighed a ton and I always removed the front wheel to fold it anyway. The stem, seatpost and crankset were obscenely heavy. My bike is down to 25 lbs just by replacing that stuff with decent alloy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.