Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Suzue Promax fixed/free quick release

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-18, 05:26 PM
Scratcher33

Bikes: Jamis XLT 2.0, Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Today I came across a very good deal on a Suzue Promax fixed/free quick release but I can't actually figure out why anyone would want that unless it's for a bike with an eccentric bottom bracket. Is that all it is or am I missing something? Why would a SS hub be quick release?
Old 01-20-18, 05:51 PM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Its a bad idea if you ask me.
Old 01-20-18, 06:08 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
The only reason fixed gear bikes usually come with axle nuts rather than a quick release is because velodromes don't allow quick release wheels on the track. This wasn't always the case, e.g. Campagnolo Record track hubs were offered with quick releases back in the 1960s, as this catalog image shows:

Old 01-20-18, 06:53 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Scratcher33
Why would a SS hub be quick release?
For the same reasons that a road hub of any flavor is: Positive retention with quick tool-free remove/install.

-Bandera
Old 01-20-18, 10:58 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Why do so many people think a QR cam isn't strong enough to hold a single speed or fixed gear wheel in place?
Old 01-21-18, 08:31 AM
Bandera
~>~

The 'modern" External cam QR mechanisms are designed for the vertical dropouts of current road bikes and are not suitable for dead-reliable use on horizontal dropouts or track ends. That being said the classic Internal cam design (see post #3) by Campagnolo and it's C&V copies by Shimano, Normandy and others are suited to FW/FG use if installed correctly.

It's not 1929 anymore, thanks to Tullio carrying a wrench to remove/install a road bike wheel is optional.

-Bandera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 01-21-18, 09:54 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Why do so many people think a QR cam isn't strong enough to hold a single speed or fixed gear wheel in place?
because I have slipped my nutted axle on a horizontal drop out multiple times. I wrench them pretty tight also.
Old 01-21-18, 05:12 PM
Bandera
~>~

Originally Posted by Metieval
because I have slipped my nutted axle on a horizontal drop out multiple times. I wrench them pretty tight also.
Since both axle nuts and QR cams have proven sufficient to keep the wheels of cyclists including both Merckx and Burton firmly in place on machines w/ horizontal dropouts such "slippage" as noted is no doubt due to factors other than the basic design of the retention system. Multiple occurrences might well warrant an examination of and correction of the factor(s) leading to "slippage", unless that sort of thing is acceptable and/or a good source of inter-web post-fodder.

-Bandera
Old 01-21-18, 06:05 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
^^ +1 If your wheel is slipping, it's due to either junk parts or user error.
Old 01-21-18, 10:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked 4,007 Times in 2,675 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
People generally cannot use them on any other bikes so trying to get them to figure out the simple QR for a FG/SS bike is even harder.

I remember that massive recall over a ton of bikes and brands, not because of any actual issues occurring but because if you did something wrong that was your own fault there was a possibility of issues. I keep my QRs on the non-drive side each and every time and I certainly don't worry about them coming loose and attacking my disc brakes. I also don't worry about slippage and I have two bikes with semi-horizontal dropouts and QRs.

Originally Posted by Bandera
The 'modern" External cam QR mechanisms are designed for the vertical dropouts of current road bikes and are not suitable for dead-reliable use on horizontal dropouts or track ends. That being said the classic Internal cam design (see post #3) by Campagnolo and it's C&V copies by Shimano, Normandy and others are suited to FW/FG use if installed correctly.

It's not 1929 anymore, thanks to Tullio carrying a wrench to remove/install a road bike wheel is optional.

-Bandera
That is a sexy quick release.

I see no reason not to use a QR on a SS or even a fixed gear bike. Granted I have no issues with nutted axles or ones that use allen bolts and haven't planned on building any fixed gear QR wheels. However if someone made a really top end set of hubs that were QR and fixed/fixed I would probably check them out.
Old 01-22-18, 08:26 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,396 Times in 694 Posts
I've used a double-sided fixed/fixed rear hub fitted with a hollow axle and a steel, internal cam QR for a decade with no problems. It made switching from the 17T pavement cog to the 19T dirt road cog much easier.