Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Whats your favourite bike book?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Whats your favourite bike book?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-21, 03:12 PM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts
Blazing Saddles: The Cruel and Unusual History of the Tour de France.
You have to laugh not to cry they're not making any of this stuff up.
Old 01-17-21, 06:38 PM
dmarkun
Slowfoot

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh International, 1979 Scapin (?), 1980 Trek 715, 1984 SR Maxima, 1993 Bridgestone RB1, 1998 753 Waterford X-12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 49 Posts
Nice coffee table book. But very Francophile, not one Italian maker. The title should read: "The Golden Age of French Handbuilt Bicycles." Sample pix are from the end, book starts in 1900s.

Old 01-17-21, 06:39 PM
ltokuno

Bikes: Masi, Olmo, Miele, Masi, Masi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Really good info here if a bit of a dry read.

Bicycling Science
Likes For ltokuno:
Old 01-17-21, 09:06 PM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
catalogs

If they havent already done it ...I wish they would take all the old Bridgestone catalogs from the 80s and 90s and bind them together into book form......I use to read them over and over......great stories and information...........and generally speaking its amazing how much you can learn about bike repair.by reading a Park tool catalog.......and old miyata catalogs can educate you about technology and frame design and geometry and how it changed through the years..........I think there should be a catalog database somewhere or at least a sticky............just think if you posted..every catalog from shimano ...campy....tange ...ishiwata..columbus......schwinn ...pinnarello.....trek.....etc etc etc....no more questions no more arguments no more explaining nothing no guess work........BFers could spend all their time riding and wrenching as god intended
Likes For homelessjoe:
Old 01-18-21, 10:31 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I read The Dancing Chain cover to cover in 2000, when it came out. I was 12. Didn't know good writing from bad at that age. Didn't care either! For me, there can be no other favorite cycling book. Two years later, I was lucky enough to see the bicycle museum in Nijmegen - and I recognized all the derailleurs there by sight, like old friends!

It's provided a foundational knowledge that I am forever stuck with grateful for. Caused me to get fired from my first job at a bike shop (I corrected my boss one too many times - think it made him insecure that he couldn't compete with the 16 year old lackey in recalling derailleur esoterica ). Same thing when I went to college. I found myself creepily perusing the racks of campus clunkers looking at old Simplex and bull moose bars, and slowly coming to the realization that The Dancing Chain had left an indelible mark on me, that years would not erase.

If only I'd had the good sense to buy up Nivex derailleurs back then, when you could get them for $200...
Old 01-18-21, 12:48 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I don't have a favorite bike book. But: I do have a favorite bike song.
My own. It, I will modestly say, is superbyly written and performed by an 18 piece jazz orchestra. My singer tells the following story, about a zen monk and his five bicycle riding students, which I found searching the internet for something that Albert Einstein allegedly said, but apparnently didn't, which was "the three greatest inventions of the modern world are the three masted sailing ship, the refrigerator, and the bicycle."
I modified the story, author unknown, slightly to better fit the music, though if you google, you can find multiple version of it. ON the same album, I also included two things Einstein DID say: "Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance, you must keep moving" and "I thought of that while riding my bicycle".Why Do You Ride?

Why Do You Ride?
Darrell Katz (from a Zen story, author unknown)

A Zen teacher saw five of his students, returning from market on their bicycles.

When they arrived at the monastery

the teacher asked his students, “why do you ride?

Why do you ride?”

The first student said

“The bicycle is carrying the sack of potatoes

I'm glad to get them off my back”

The teacher praised him:

“You are a smart boy

when you grow old

you will not walk hunched over like I do.”

The second student replied:

“I love to watch the trees and fields pass by as I roll down

the path!”
The teacher commended him:

"your eyes are open and you see the world".

The third student replied “when I ride my bicycle, I am content to chant

nam myoho renge kyo.”

The teacher gave praise to his student: "your mind

will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel.”

The fourth student replied to the question, "When I

ride my bicycle I live in harmony with all

sentient beings. That's why I ride.”

The teacher was pleased, and said to him, "You are

riding on the golden path of non harming."

The fifth student replied "I ride my bicycle to ride my

bicycle. I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle "

The Zen teacher sat at the feet of his fifth student and

said, "Master! Master, I am your student.

I am your student!”

Why do you ride?

Why do you ride?

Likes For dkatz1:
Old 01-18-21, 01:08 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
The first and only one I ever read - Everybody's Book of Bicycle Riding by Thom Lieb. There was a copy at my college library that I went through multiple times in the mid-1990s. It's very informative with many moments of hilarity.
Old 01-18-21, 02:08 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
+1 for Japanese Steel

Great history and photography

As a pixel peeper, I'm rarely impressed by image print quality (not limited to cycling and art books), but this one is first rate.
Old 01-18-21, 02:23 PM
zorg

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Barcroft Columbia, Seven Axiom (being built)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Catfish and Mandala

Not a bicycle book per se, but a great story about refugee immigrant from Vietnam to California's bike tour return to the homeland in search of who he is.
Old 01-18-21, 02:50 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Hands down the Ruff Stuff Fellowship Archive (I sprang for the beautiful hardcover collectors edition in slip case but here is the regular edition: https://www.isolapress.com/shop/rsf-archives-2)

Followed by the Golden Age of Hand-built Bicycles (focuses on mid century french randonneurs and their constructeurs): https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...uilt-bicycles/

And of course the Bicycle Quarterly magazine subscription: https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...-subscription/

Japanese Steel is also a gorgeous book and photographed by Scott Ryder who posts here regularly: https://www.rizzoliusa.com/book/9780847861705/

The Renee Herse book would probably be in my list if I had it. Soon enough. https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...er-the-riders/
A resounding second on the big blue Rene Herse book, fascinating, great read.
Old 01-18-21, 02:54 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
The Beast, The Emperor and The Milkman

Currently reading this:

Old 01-18-21, 03:06 PM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 131 Posts
Currently re-reading The Rider by Tim Krabbe, and enjoying it even more the second time. Great first paragraph.

Also liked The Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton. The Armstrong saga told by a victim without acrimony. A friend of mine tells a personal story about Hamilton that backs up the humility revealed in the writing.

And Anybody's Bike Book by Cuthbertson, sure.
Likes For NJgreyhead:
Old 01-18-21, 04:39 PM
ferengii
Ferengii

Bikes: Co-Motion tandem; Bilenky tandem; Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Miles From Nowhere is the book that inspired me to become a cycle tourist - I highly recommend it as well.
Old 01-18-21, 05:51 PM
Rudy59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For ficton fans

Originally Posted by Dan Chase
OK, so winter/covid is keeping all of our heads down - so whats your favourite bike based book? The kind of thing you find yourself re-reading after a couple of years, maybe quoting to a buddy...

For me its a toss up between Crabbes "The Rider", Kimmages "Rough Ride" and then "8 Seconds" recounting the `89 TDF...

Hard to choose, The Rider really puts you in the mindset of a top amateur racer, Kimmage makes you realise why most pro riders turned to drugs to perform (imagine getting to a hotel at 9.30pm after a hard stage to find there`s no food and forced to dine on energy bars whilst washing your only pair of team shorts... grab me the rocket fuel...), just love the `89 tour for all its drama and the book drills down into each stage as well as the big picture, you can almost feel the sun as you read it.

mmm..... yep, * seconds.... no, wait, Rough Ride...

Let me know what you all love to read, might give me some new books to search out, Dan.
Ralph Hurne’s The Yellow Jersey.

Claire Huchet Bishop’s The Big Loop.
Old 01-18-21, 06:14 PM
caribou22

Bikes: 2020 bridge club, 2014 MARINONI sl, surly 1x1, 91 GT Tachyon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
+1 for Slaying the Badger.

"Fallen Angel"--the story of Fausto Coppi. Provides a good contrast to Bartali.
Old 01-18-21, 07:18 PM
BDCole

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Fastest Bicycle Rider in the World

Major Taylor was the USA's first black champion athlete. He was the world champion when the sport of cycling was extremely popular with the general public. His story is both amazing and sad
Old 01-19-21, 03:15 PM
UncleRoss

Bikes: Jamis Aurora

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycle - The Definitive Visual History

I reviewed it on the CL Bicycling forum; this link might work: https://forums.craigslist.org/?act=Q&ID=273570708
I
see lots of other good suggestions on here, including Zinn. You should have enough to read for a long time.
One I wouldn't recommend is "It's Not About the Bike" by Lance Armstrong. No, Lance, it's about the drugs.
Old 01-23-21, 01:51 AM
athix

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Magic Spanner by Carlton Kirby... hilarious!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...XfwTiil&rank=4
Old 01-26-21, 04:32 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 612 Posts
This will seem an odd choice but it has it's basis in nostalgia. I was given a copy of the 1971 edition (green cover) when I bought my new 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix from them, I was 16. I wore it out, I've been looking for a reasonably priced copy for a long time and I finally had to settle for this 1973 edition for now. It's also a great reference book for my early 70's bikes.

Old 02-16-21, 05:45 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by kraftwerk
Road to Valor: A True Story of WWII Italy, the Nazis, and the Cyclist Who Inspired a Nation
this guy is about the coolest hard as nails dude that ever was, Gino Bartali.
He won races: T de F & Giro etc. etc.
He smuggled documents,
He fought Fascism / Hated Mussolini
He risked his own life for others,
He saved lives
Just finished this one following your recommendation. What an amazing human being. The world needs more Gino Bartalis.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 02-16-21, 10:52 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Agreed the world does, especially right now! Glad you read it. He should be Sainted.

Old 02-17-21, 08:15 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,396 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by bertinjim
The Man Who Loved Bicycles: The Memoirs of and Autophobe by Daniel Behrman

How did I EVER forget this one? This is a lovely, lovely book on so many levels! His depictions of riding around in Paris seeking out the hidden and the secret places was lovely beyond words.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 02-17-21, 08:21 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by dmarkun
Nice coffee table book. But very Francophile, not one Italian maker. The title should read: "The Golden Age of French Handbuilt Bicycles." Sample pix are from the end, book starts in 1900s.

He did buy the rights to Rene Herse, what were you expecting?
Old 02-18-21, 03:21 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
My first thought was Anybody's Bike Book; I love his humor and unpretentious writing.

Has anyone read Being Gary Fisher? Diane Jenks interviewed him on The Outspoken Cyclist podcast, and he sounds like a hoot. I should just suck it up and buy a copy, only available from Trek.
Old 02-19-21, 01:49 PM
Elev12k

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts
Mentioned before, but Japanese Steel is an absolutely great book. Good read, very nice pictures ...and of course an interesting subject: Japanese Steel. Can also recommend it to people who like classic road bikes in general.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.