Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

3 months with spikes: that’s OK?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-17, 01:01 AM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts

Think city bike and Marathon Winter tires.

My winter usually has little snow. However, not every day but often ice spots do make it dangerous... Is it OK to ride my bike with Marathon Winter tires for about 3 months (winter)?

So I wouldn’t switch bikes or even tires, only play with tire pressure; e.g. increase tire pressure on days that are not slippery.

I only have one bike ;-)

I ask this question because I’m unsure it’s OK to ride with spikes even when the weather doesn’t always demands it; every winter day is different you know.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-17, 04:20 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
The bike will be perfectly fine.
The tires will wear a near unmeasurable amount faster/more.
The maximum available traction during the bare roads days will be a tad less with the studded tires. IMO not a problem for casual/utility riding.
Old 01-21-17, 09:10 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I live where we usually have abundant snow and ice, and I just put the winter tires on and leave then on, even in those winters when we have unusually mild periods - like today, high predicted to be 56. I would rather be safe than sorry.

The "cost" of leaving them on is tire wear and tear - I am inclined to believe that it will be somewhat greater on dry pavement, but quantifying it is impossible for me, and I could just be wrong. The other "cost" is ride quality and comfort, which is completely subjective anyway.

One option some do in lieu of a separate bike is to buy a second set of wheels and mount "regular" tires on them - fast and easy to switch wheels as weather dictates.
Old 01-21-17, 09:15 AM
FrankHudson

Bikes: Five active bikes: 1983 Diamondback RidgeRunner (early production mountain bike), 1951 Raleigh Sports 3spd, 2012 Novara Safari, 2013 Schwinn 411 IGH, 2016 Jamis Roughneck Fatbike; plus a Trek T900 tandem shared with the family

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, it's not harmful to the tires in my experience, other that the wear that all tires undergo in using them. There's the noise and maybe they are a little less efficient, but it's winter and ice sucks and studs make it better.
Old 01-21-17, 06:23 PM
ammarolli

Bikes: Trek Crossrip 2 2017, Cube Cruve Pro 2015 and Berlín Dutch Bike 3 speed 2014

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's ok to ride studded tires on a clear dry pavement. The studs will wear out faster though.
Old 01-22-17, 03:00 AM
Bikewolf

Thank you all for your very very kind input!

I see a lot of advantages in the long run to a ‘2 bikes’ strategy, yeah that may work best for me afterall. Because a secondary bike can act as a winter bike for those extreme days. But too as a backup, shopping/short distance bike ... and switching bikes now and then breaks routine (fun)!

Must admit I did visit a bike fair this weekend ;-)
Old 01-22-17, 11:26 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I have studded tires on my fat bike that I leave on all season. This winter, it's been quite warm and the snow and ice doesn't stay as long as it should.

But my suggestion to you based on a lot of past threads is to have a second front wheel with unstudded winter tires. Leave the rear wheel unstudded for all the conditions. So depending upon ice or fresh snow, just switch the front wheel.
Old 01-22-17, 12:51 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikewolf
Think city bike and Marathon Winter tires.

My winter usually has little snow. However, not every day but often ice spots do make it dangerous... Is it OK to ride my bike with Marathon Winter tires for about 3 months (winter)?

So I wouldn’t switch bikes or even tires, only play with tire pressure; e.g. increase tire pressure on days that are not slippery.

I only have one bike ;-)

I ask this question because I’m unsure it’s OK to ride with spikes even when the weather doesn’t always demands it; every winter day is different you know.

Thanks!

What I do is run a studded tyre just up front. If you don't have any (steep) hills, it should work fine, with a bit of common sense and caution (no sharp cornering, or hard acceleration when it's icy, since there are no studs at the back).

Increase the pressure when it's dry.
Old 01-22-17, 12:56 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
It's fine.

I bet you aren't putting in the kind of miles you do in the summer.

Good studs are very durable.
Old 01-23-17, 08:54 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ammarolli
It's ok to ride studded tires on a clear dry pavement. The studs will wear out faster though.
Easy to get 5-10 years out of good studded tires. The tungsten carbide used on the studs are what they use to cut steel, FYI.
Old 03-19-17, 02:35 PM
wildvellum

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my Nokians, the tire rubber wears out before the studs do.
Old 03-24-17, 04:44 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've been riding through the winter for a few years now. I have a dedicated winter bike, an old rigid steel MTB with Nokian 160's. I certainly have no intention of upgrading the winter bike until those tires wear out, which they're not threatening to do any time soon. The tires are worth more than the bike.

My habit is to ride the winter bike during salt season, i.e., when they're salting the roads. Half of the reason is just to keep the brine off my other bikes, and I've realized that my concern about keeping my bikes clean is mainly aesthetic.

The studs run fine on pavement, but with that said, it's always a pleasure to break out one of the summer bikes in the spring, or if everything melts temporarily as it did this year.
Old 05-04-17, 11:56 AM
Bikewolf

Thanks again for all your input.