Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lightning spider failure - crank ok?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-23, 01:15 PM
ahultin

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts

I recently posted regarding what was thought to be a bottom bracket issue but was discovered to be a loose spider lockring. We thought this was all resolved and the bike rode beautifully during the ~200 mile seattle to portland ride. We did a ~40 mile "spirited" group ride yesterday with not issues. Today, 16 miles into another group ride the spider completely failed. I have emailed Tim at lighning photos but it appears they are closed for the next several weeks. I plan to call Calfee tomorrow to see if they have a 110bcd spider in stock but am concerned that the key on the crank arm may be damaged. Any comments based on the attached photos?

Old 07-23-23, 07:14 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Only thing I have to add is Lightning was helpful to us in replacing a broken crank arm. It may take a bit of time, but in our experience they Will ultimately take care of you.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 07-23-23, 07:15 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Also fwiw, I have a Lightning 130 bcd spider I could part with if it helps
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 07-24-23, 11:12 AM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
I cannot answer your question directly, but I do have a few comments FWIW.

If the spline on the crank is steel and the spider is aluminum, steel is much harder than aluminum and is likely that all the damage would be to the softer metal (i.e. the aluminum spider). If the spline and spider are of similar hardness, then there could be damage to both.

Your team had to apply some serious torque for that spider to disintegrate like it did. Awesome job! . If the spider is aluminum, the spline steel, and your team created the condition for the spider to fail, it will likely happen again. We destroyed 4 cassettes, breaking the aluminum spider that held the largest 3 cogs and fit over the free-hub by breaking the spider in a weak thin spot during hard acceleration. All 4 cassettes were identical and failed in the exact same way. We also suffered identical failures pulling a spoke through a rear hub on two identical hubs during hard braking while descending. The point here is unless the conditions that caused your failure are unique and unlikely to occur again, you may suffer a similar failure in the future if using the same crank/spider.

I'm interested in hearing what Lightning says.

Good luck and ride safe!
Old 07-24-23, 01:01 PM
ahultin

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Also fwiw, I have a Lightning 130 bcd spider I could part with if it helps
Thank you for the offer! That would then require changing out the chainrings and relocating the front derailleur so ill hold that thought as a plan B!
Old 07-24-23, 01:04 PM
ahultin

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Only thing I have to add is Lightning was helpful to us in replacing a broken crank arm. It may take a bit of time, but in our experience they Will ultimately take care of you.
I had done a search and saw your post on that so i am hopeful. I figure if the arm is $300 plus a post covid inflation adjustment that would be acceptable 😃. Also hoping since ours is the stoker driveside they may have one since it is not necessarily tandem specific.
Old 07-24-23, 01:10 PM
ahultin

Originally Posted by Alcanbrad
I cannot answer your question directly, but I do have a few comments FWIW.

If the spline on the crank is steel and the spider is aluminum, steel is much harder than aluminum and is likely that all the damage would be to the softer metal (i.e. the aluminum spider). If the spline and spider are of similar hardness, then there could be damage to both.

Your team had to apply some serious torque for that spider to disintegrate like it did. Awesome job! . If the spider is aluminum, the spline steel, and your team created the condition for the spider to fail, it will likely happen again. We destroyed 4 cassettes, breaking the aluminum spider that held the largest 3 cogs and fit over the free-hub by breaking the spider in a weak thin spot during hard acceleration. All 4 cassettes were identical and failed in the exact same way. We also suffered identical failures pulling a spoke through a rear hub on two identical hubs during hard braking while descending. The point here is unless the conditions that caused your failure are unique and unlikely to occur again, you may suffer a similar failure in the future if using the same crank/spider.

I'm interested in hearing what Lightning says.

Good luck and ride safe!
lol, I like looking at the positive. In addition, it waited to explode until after we completed the Seattle to portland ride a little over a week ago (with the associated plane travel and logistics) 😁 I am ok with a prematurely ended club ride!

Both the spline on the crank and the spider appear to be aluminum. We only went ~100ft or so with it physically skipping.

Your cassette problems sound very familiar, at my previous weight I used to keep a spare xt cassette for my tandem as we would shear the aluminum carrier at least once a year
Old 08-12-23, 09:52 AM
ahultin

Quick update, I recieived a response back from Tim that the crank arm looks fine. He mentioned that the 110bcd spider was essentially a lightweight single bike part and that some teams do eventually crack it. He mentioned a heavier duty tandem specific version in development that should be available within a year so I'll keep an eye on this one and hopefully the new version is available before this one detonates.
New spider and tool has arrived, installed and tested. The spider keyed perfectly to the crank arm with no slop. ~60 mile , 6900ft ride tomorrow so here's hoping for the best lol.
Likes For ahultin: