Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recomendation for 700 -38C tire for gravel road tandem

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-23, 06:13 PM
preventec47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts

225 lb and 210 lb on alum frame tandem and I am concerned about the total load capacity of the tires. No racing involved.... I am looking mainly for durability and flat resistance. Are there any bike tire mfgrs that specifically make tires to carry heavier payloads in the tire size mentioned? I could probably go to 40C or 42C.
I was thinking all the new cargo bikes might be mindful of heavier payloads but they probably dont use 700 rims. Any suggestions ?
Old 08-22-23, 07:10 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
we are stuck with 38s I want to run tubeless so thats a limit. https://www.schwalbetires.com/Schwal...rland-11654397
most of these guys work Fien I have the marathons on our tandem and it runs around 420 or so
Old 08-23-23, 05:37 AM
scycheng

Bikes: Merlin Road, Rivendell Road, Arvon custom tandme, Hi-Light G-7

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by preventec47
225 lb and 210 lb on alum frame tandem and I am concerned about the total load capacity of the tires. No racing involved.... I am looking mainly for durability and flat resistance. Are there any bike tire mfgrs that specifically make tires to carry heavier payloads in the tire size mentioned? I could probably go to 40C or 42C.
I was thinking all the new cargo bikes might be mindful of heavier payloads but they probably dont use 700 rims. Any suggestions ?
Schwalbe is the only large bike tire company I am aware of that list weight limit on their tires. Useful indicators of whether tires will be suitable for your tandem.
Old 08-23-23, 12:43 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
We are now less but for several years (10?) were in a similar weight to your team. We ran 28 and 32c Gaterskins with no problems other than a pinch flat when we hit a rock which probably would have taken out a 35c. We have one set of wheels running 35c tires Marathons which have been trouble free. What rims are you running?
Old 08-24-23, 03:04 AM
headasunder

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
we run specialized sawtooth at 42mm width (they also have a 38mm) they are reasonably durable and a very comfy ride. They are also rated up to 80psi(tubed). Ive run them with tubes and tubeless 70 psi on the rear tubed or 55psi max tubeless, flats haven't really been an issue but if running tubeless you need to run them up to max the rim is rated for to mitigate the beating the sidewalls get with the added weight of tandem rigs and riders. We run gravel inserts when running tubeless.
Old 09-16-23, 09:07 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Another vote for the Specialized Sawtooth. We have 38 front and 42 rear.
Started off tubeless but I’m no longer sure of the advantage on a tandem running those pressures. We are now running tubes. I love tubeless on Mtn, gravel and fat bikes but not on the tandem.