Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tandem travel cases

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Tandem travel cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-23, 08:41 AM
sjbraun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tandem travel cases

About to purchase a coupled tandem. What are your thoughts/experiences on soft sided cases (ie the ones sold by Co-Motion,) vs hard cases (like the S&S cases?)

Thanks
Old 09-14-23, 05:49 AM
scycheng

Bikes: Merlin Road, Rivendell Road, Arvon custom tandme, Hi-Light G-7

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sjbraun
About to purchase a coupled tandem. What are your thoughts/experiences on soft sided cases (ie the ones sold by Co-Motion,) vs hard cases (like the S&S cases?)

Thanks
My personal preference is for 2 hard cases. The main downside of using a hardcase for wheels is 700c wheels are a very tight fit into 26x26x10" case. We have since switched to 26" wheels which fits into the hardcases much easier.
Likes For scycheng:
Old 09-14-23, 06:40 AM
mtreloar

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
26" Wheel conversion?

Originally Posted by scycheng
We have since switched to 26" wheels which fits into the hardcases much easier.
Please forgive the subject drift: please tell more about the switch to 26" (from 700c I assume). Bike brand and model, brake type, any challenges in the switch.
We have a 700c 2005 vintage coupled tandem with a carbon fork and rim caliper brakes. I could fit a rear disc, but not a front disc.
Old 09-14-23, 09:40 AM
scycheng

Originally Posted by mtreloar
Please forgive the subject drift: please tell more about the switch to 26" (from 700c I assume). Bike brand and model, brake type, any challenges in the switch.
We have a 700c 2005 vintage coupled tandem with a carbon fork and rim caliper brakes. I could fit a rear disc, but not a front disc.
Our tandem is custom built by a frame builder, Arvon Stacey, in Alberta quite a few years ago now.

It use to be a coupled 700c touring tandem which developed a problem with the captain's seat post clamp area. When I discussed the issue (cracked tube at the seat post), the builder, Arvon, suggested he make me a new frame since replacing the captain's seat tube and some other changes I was asking for will end up costing about the same as building a new frame for us. So I sent the old frame and wheels back to him.

So we went with 26" to get much more tire width as we were getting pinch flats riding on Canal du Midi towpaths using the widest touring tire I could easily find back then (Conti Top Touring 700x37) due to the big rocks along the way. We were getting so many flats, I ran out of inner tubes and patches. Had to get off the canal to find a bike shop.

One of the changes I wanted was to have an option to use either rim or disk brakes in the back. He rebuilt the wheels with 48-holed 26" Rhinolite and single butted spokes which has resulted in pretty bulletproof wheels. I have not yet needed to true them after about 10 years. As for tires, I am currently still using Schwalbe Kojak (26x50) though I should find replacements in the next year or 2 as I can't find them any more.

Now note this is a touring tandem so somethings are way overbuilt intentionally.
Old 09-14-23, 10:04 AM
mtreloar

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks! Your setup is ideal for loaded touring, which we no longer do.
I run Conti Gatorskin 700x28 tires reliably 3 seasons for day rides. I would like a front fender, but it is out of the question with the current fork. Also, wider tires would smooth the ride on the roads in our part of rural Ontario; either chip-sealed or unsurfaced. A new tandem is not in the cards. So, I have wondered about a 26" conversion.
Happy touring!
Old 09-14-23, 01:15 PM
scycheng

Originally Posted by mtreloar
Thanks! Your setup is ideal for loaded touring, which we no longer do.
I run Conti Gatorskin 700x28 tires reliably 3 seasons for day rides. I would like a front fender, but it is out of the question with the current fork. Also, wider tires would smooth the ride on the roads in our part of rural Ontario; either chip-sealed or unsurfaced. A new tandem is not in the cards. So, I have wondered about a 26" conversion.
Happy touring!
Whether a 26" conversion will work really depend on 2 things which only you can figure out. Firstly, whether your existing fork and seat+chain stays has enough clearance for the tire width you want. Secondly, assuming you have rim brakes, whether the brake pads can be moved low enough to line up with the brake track on the 26" rim. If you have disk brakes, then the 2nd factor is a non-problem. Fenders will reduce the maximum tire width you can use.

[On my gravel single bike, I have 2 sets of wheels, 700c and 650b. The swap is straightforward is easy since the disks and hubs are identical between the 2 set of wheels and there is clearance between the fork stays and the chain/seat stays in the back.]
Old 09-14-23, 05:37 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Re: the original post and question: I have the Comotion soft cases and have had no problems. As with any case, I use plenty of padding and reusable zip ties to minimize movement of contents in transit.
Old 09-14-23, 06:56 PM
ferengii
Ferengii

Bikes: Co-Motion tandem; Bilenky tandem; Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
We have hard cases and soft cases. I think the hard cases are less likely to allow damage vs soft cases. We’ve also travelled with BOTH a hard & soft case (then on destination arrival in Frankfurt put the empty soft case inside the hard case and shipped it to our end point in Prague - easier/cheaper than sending two hard cases). We watched as luggage was loaded onto our airplane and saw how they swung and tossed the cases around while loading - we were less concerned about the hard case allowing damage than the soft case. Some people claim that airport personnel handle soft cases more delicately, but that’s not what we’ve seen. The hard cases really hold the plastic compression members in place vs soft cases as well. The S&S website states that the hard cases provide the highest level of protection for your bikes - and I agree. HOWEVER, the soft cases are lighter than the hard cases - a key issue if you’re just over the 50 pound weight limit per cases.

I hope this helps!